Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
For the motherboard, I would go with something with a little better power delivery, like this... ASRock Z97M OC Formula

Memory Scaling on haswell for gaming shows good performance at 2133MHz CL10 and 2400MHz CL11, but that wont make a huge difference vs what you picked out.

That PSU is not recommended Why you might not want to buy a Corsair RM PSU
I'd buy something near the top of This Tom's Hardware PSU List

The H100 should work fine. I liked my H90 until I wen't full custom loop.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the help!

im switching the cooler to a Noctua NH-D15 and I was just looking at that mobo so thanks for the recommendation!

Also thinking of switching out the power supply to an EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G1

·
Registered
1,212 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,755 Posts
Why take a brand new build with last gen (2.5 yr old) CPU+Mobo and last gen (ddr3) RAM, not usable for any future CPU? I can't imagine why you'd want it over a 6600k or 6700k setup.

Your 4790k setup costs $505. If you assume a $65 cooler, that's $570 for CPU+mobo+RAM+cooler.

a comparable 6600k setup and cooling (can be much cheaper since they run so much cooler, literally 25-30c lower under video encoding load) costs $450 and runs about 5% slower for video encoding and a bit better on average for games.

If you care about that 5% performance you can go to a 6700k setup which will be ~15% faster than the 4790k. It's just either way - you want cheaper but comparable? 6600k wins. You want absolute performance at loss of $$ efficiency? 6700k wins.

I would spend a little more on mobo and RAM than you with whichever build, but tried to keep to cheaper parts (like yours) for comparisons sake.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro999 View Post

Why take a brand new build with last gen (2.5 yr old) CPU+Mobo and last gen (ddr3) RAM, not usable for any future CPU? I can't imagine why you'd want it over a 6600k or 6700k setup.

Your 4790k setup costs $505. If you assume a $65 cooler, that's $570 for CPU+mobo+RAM+cooler.

a comparable 6600k setup and cooling (can be much cheaper since they run so much cooler, literally 25-30c lower under video encoding load) costs $450 and runs about 5% slower for video encoding and a bit better on average for games.

If you care about that 5% performance you can go to a 6700k setup which will be ~15% faster than the 4790k. It's just either way - you want cheaper but comparable? 6600k wins. You want absolute performance at loss of $$ efficiency? 6700k wins.

I would spend a little more on mobo and RAM than you with whichever build, but tried to keep to cheaper parts (like yours) for comparisons sake.
I can agree that it will only be around 60-80$ more to get DDR4 ram and a 6700k. + nifty mobo features like usb 3.1 and a better m2 slot. Curious what real performance increase id really see though. I have thought of doing a 5820k build but realized all the motherboards are sitting around 200$ which that would get expensive fast.

If i went 6700k route, which motherboard (mATX) would I want to go with for overclocking? I wanna realistically sit around 4.6ghz. Also do ram speeds really affect performance in a DAW or After Effects?

·
Senior OCN Member
40,451 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts