Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

My friends 4830 has been encountering some problems with the GPU, relating to it's temperature. The card has been getting to upwards of 110 C, and I know ATi cards can take heat, but I'm pretty sure no card should be able to boil water.

Now, my friends brother believed it was an issue with the thermal paste, so I brought some of mine, took the card apart, and put new paste in. There was a small hiccup with one of the screws, so it had to be eh... forcefully taken out, but there was no damage to the card itself or any of the small components.

After reassembling it, I put it in the PC, connected the power, screwed it on, and booted the computer up. However, there were no beeps, the card had a small flashing red light on it, and the monitor displayed a "No signal detected" image. Now, previously, the card actually burned you if you touched it, but after putting the paste in, it's just warm, but it the PC won't boot.

Is this card fried, or is there any hope?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Urm did you take the card out will the pc still had power? Like the PSU was still connected and switched on but the PC was off?

Have you tried clearing the CMOS and check that its properly seated

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@CM690: No, the power cable was out and the PC was completely powered off. I'll try clearing the CMOS and see if that affects anything.

@dcshoejake: Well, the screw began to strip as I was attempting to take it out, so I started to push harder on it to get it to budge. It moved a bit, but it got to the point where I had to get a tiny pair of pliers, latch on to the screw, and turn it that way for it to get out. Like I said though, there is no visible damage to the card whatsoever. As far as shorting out the card, there was no static electricity on me, and the screwdriver has a plastic handle, so the chances are low.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Sounds silly, but i've done this one: check the pci port connection. I've had one ALMOST pushed in, with a 1-2mm not quite all the way in. I had the exact same boot up issue.

·
Banned
10,292 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by specialk View Post
Sounds silly, but i've done this one: check the pci port connection. I've had one ALMOST pushed in, with a 1-2mm not quite all the way in. I had the exact same boot up issue.
this. also check to see if you plugged in the gpu power connection. i had that problem but my power connection wasnt plugged in

edit: nvm saw you did it.

um well i would wager that its a loose pci connection like specialk said.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts