Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
before you start saying which is better (fanboys), note that i bought a 4850 yesterday, and am getting a evga 9800gtx+ in sometime from a trade. Now i have owned 2 other 4850's in the past, 1 visiontek, 1 xfx, now this new visiontek. I have never owned a 9800gtx+ before. So, which one should i use for my rig? I am getting both, but might sell one, or just keep them both. I also know that these cards are so comparable its kinda silly, so things to note, visiontek one is stock, evga 9800gtx+ comes with accelero xtreme on it, thanks in advance guys

·
PC Evangelist
47,382 Posts
9800GTX+ all the way because of the cooler and its good to try something new.

• Rep+
Reactions: D3TH.GRUNT

·
Premium Member
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im thinking that, but should i keep the 4850 anyways? since my mobo is xfire? or just sell that. thanks.

·
Banned
11,409 Posts
So just to be sure I am on the right page of the right chapter, you traded your 260 for a 4850 and a 9800GTX+? Sounds like a good trade to me. IMO, sell both of them and go buy a 280 or GX2

·
PC Evangelist
47,382 Posts
Well if you want to run CF again then sell the 9800GTX+ and get another 4850.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
With a CF motherboard, it would seem best to just get another 4850. If you're folding, go with the 9800GTX+, though.

One isn't really "better" than the other. They're pretty equal.

·
Premium Member
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by SmasherBasher
View Post

So just to be sure I am on the right page of the right chapter, you traded your 260 for a 4850 and a 9800GTX+? Sounds like a good trade to me. IMO, sell both of them and go buy a 280 or GX2

oh, sorry i didn't clarify that. I bought a 4850 off a guy yesterday. Then this morning i traded my gtx 260 to a guy for a evga 9800gtx+ w/ AC Xtreme cooler and a DD Maze block + some cash. Some might think that is dumb considering i just bought a 4850, but i got that really cheap. I could sell both, perhaps, but my main reason was downsizing, having my rig the way it is now, has been overkill for me, so i downgraded stuff, dont need a bigger card, both are fine, just wanna know what to use. With the 4850 i could go xfire sometime if i decide ever to, with the 9800gtx+ it has hella better cooling. thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,389 Posts
I own both and think the 4850 is a hair better when you turn the eye candy on... Just my 2 cents. They are both excellent cards.

·
PC Evangelist
47,382 Posts
Just sell the 4850 back.

·
Banned
11,409 Posts
if I had to choose between 4850 and GTX+, i would go with the GTX+. Having owned both, in my opinion, the GTX+ is a better card for a number of reasons

1) better cooling. The 4850 I had spiked at 102*C under full load

2) The stock fan was nothing more than a crying whining baby of a fan that screamed like a toddler and didn't move much air

3) This may not affect you, but for me, the difference was in folding. a GTX+ absolutely trounces a 4850 with regard to folding production

4) Some say Nvidia has better driver support.

·
Premium Member
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by corky dorkelson
View Post

I own both and think the 4850 is a hair better when you turn the eye candy on... Just my 2 cents. They are both excellent cards.

i'll test both out first in all my games, could be tho, i've had 2 4850's before this, so we'll see, that would be nice tho

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er
View Post

Just sell the 4850 back.

I think what im gonna do is wait til i get them both, test them both head to head, and make a decision then. thanks all for your help, will bench both cards, and do a review for everyone to see (yeah i know, who needs to see another).

·
Registered
129 Posts
Im kinda sitting in the same position now. I bought a gts 250 (close enough to a 9800gtx+) and just aquired a nice 4850 with my sig rig. What Ive found out, the 4850 edges out gts on fps in games with AA. Folding is way faster on the Gts250. Now I know power usage is where the difference comes in between the Gts250 and the 9800 (thats why I bought it), but temps are a lot lower with the Gts250, dont have a 9800 to check. My vantage scores with nothing else changed for each card were

4850 - 6838
gts250 - 6613

Thas pretty close for a fast first run. I also wondered about using both cards in one rig, so I might check that out with the Gts250 for folding and the 4850 for gaming.

Sorry I dont want to seem like Im hijacking a thread or anything, but its just exactly whats going on over here too. And just figured my experience might help you too.

·
Registered
673 Posts
if you're folding, stick with the 9800gtx+, if not get another 4850 and xfire 'em!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts