Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
depends on what resolutions for TF2 nothing really not worth upgrading just for that game at a lower resolution...the 9600gt is fine

higher resolutions you will see the actual difference and its huge.

·
PC Evangelist
47,394 Posts
Well i test my 8800GS OC @ 700/1700/900 which is about same speed as 9600GT if not faster with my 4850 stock in my amd setup and i got 33fps with 8800Gs and 39fps with 4850 so i would say ~ 30 % and up faster

·
PC Evangelist
47,394 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeer View Post
I'm playing at 1440X900.
With that resolution 4850 would max everything.

• Rep+
Reactions: freebeer

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
yep.. i play TF2 at 1680x1050 with everything maxed out.. and i never drop below 50 FPS i believe... the 4850 is way better for heavy gaming.. i'd go with it to play the newer games at a decent FPS
Also two 9600gts scale very well in SLI i believe.. so if you ever get a SLI board sli those bad boys..

• Rep+
Reactions: freebeer

·
Premium Member
5,699 Posts
meh for me i can do 8xAA and 16xAF on 1680x1050 and still keep a nice range of 60-120 frames. In TF2, uping to a 3850 to 4850 just let use 8xx while keeping high frames. I honestly would keep the 9600GT but hey its your cash.

its a different story for other games though

·
Registered
257 Posts
I would say just use the 9600GT for a while and wait a bit longer for a bigger upgrade. If you're only going to be playing TF2, your 9600GT will do you fine.

·
PC Evangelist
47,394 Posts
HIS/Sapphire/Visiontech are all good. I went with HIS and its doing very well. I got mine volt modded to 840Mhz core so yeah.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeer
View Post

Heh, naw, I'm looking to get rid of this 9600, hah. Thanks for the input guys. Guess I'm going for the 4850. Now which model to pick oh my.lawl. +rep.

VisionTek has a lifetime warranty, if you plan on keeping it for a while. His and Sapphire are good too as far as quality goes.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Quote:

View Post

well, I'm gettin like avg 30 FPS in TF2, and it will drop to like 15 in heavy firefight. I'm shooting to get it to like 60FPS, and no lower then 30 in heavy fights.

But saying that, I will be upgrading CPU's and more memory, so that will help a lot too.

Really? I have a 9600GSO, game at 1680x1050, all high textures and so on. I think I only turned off motion blur (was useless to me) and turned down AA to like x4 or x8. Completely playable, rarely goes lower than 40fps.

Hm...

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by dennisjai
View Post

If you haven't overclocked your BE AMD X2, try that.

I've OC'd it to 3.1GHz, but I put it back to stock. I didn't really see a point at the time, all I was playing was WoW, and OC'in only got me minor upgrades to a already like 80+ FPS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by A_N_T_H_O_N_Y
View Post

I would say just use the 9600GT for a while and wait a bit longer for a bigger upgrade. If you're only going to be playing TF2, your 9600GT will do you fine.

I do play TF2 mostly, but I want to be able to play newer and higher end games as well.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by version2
View Post

Really? I have a 9600GSO, game at 1680x1050, all high textures and so on. I think I only turned off motion blur (was useless to me) and turned down AA to like x4 or x8. Completely playable, rarely goes lower than 40fps.

Hm...

motion blur r teh sex mang!

·
Registered
3,055 Posts

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Quote:

View Post

well, I'm gettin like avg 30 FPS in TF2, and it will drop to like 15 in heavy firefight. I'm shooting to get it to like 60FPS, and no lower then 30 in heavy fights.

But saying that, I will be upgrading CPU's and more memory, so that will help a lot too.

memory wouldnt be much of an upgrade unless you are going to use vista 64bit unless your going to be trying to future proof i guess.. Your cpu is fine.. i'm running similar specs

·
Registered
772 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I think that might be due more to your processor and not your video card, with the same card I get much higher frames than you're getting, avg usually about 50 (although that's at 1680x1050 w/ 2xAA and 4xAF I believe) so you might want to look into a new processor rather than get rid of a perfectly good video card.

What settings do you play that game at anyway? AA and AF?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts