Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 550 watt psu and i want to attacht the 8 pin power cable to my video card.my other PSU is a 3500Watt and i would like to attach the 6 pin power cable from that to the 4850x2, but i ran into a problem the other PSU dosent turn on when the other one dose (duh). is there any way that i can get the other one to turn on without plugging into a mobo?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Just upgrade your PSU. If you are trying to power the video card with the 350w, i really doubt it would have enough amps for the video card. Generally running two PSU's like that Wouldn't be a very good idea. But if you have to, the 350w will have power when it's plugged into the wall, you don't need a motherboard to turn on a PSU.

It really all boils down to the rail amps, and a 350w powering a $300 card, I wouldn't trust or do that.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Well you could just use your 550watt to power it, if its a half decent power supply. You can power a psu without plugging it into the motherboard, it takes a paper clip to do so.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kairi_zeroblade View Post
get something thats beetween 700 and 850..with efficient 12v rails..
oh jeez i NEVER though of that, ill just go grab a handfull of money form my giant pile and buy a new one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by linskingdom View Post
4850x2 takes a bout 210w/220w from 12v alone plus the your processor and others so you need a solid psu. Is this for the Phenom 9950 BE rig? May need a 550w such as Corsair 550vx.
yes this is for my current rig, and i allready have a 550w PSU and its not enough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluzeboy View Post
Just upgrade your PSU. If you are trying to power the video card with the 350w, i really doubt it would have enough amps for the video card. Generally running two PSU's like that Wouldn't be a very good idea. But if you have to, the 350w will have power when it's plugged into the wall, you don't need a motherboard to turn on a PSU.

It really all boils down to the rail amps, and a 350w powering a $300 card, I wouldn't trust or do that.
im trying to power the video card half with a 350W psu and the rest with my 550W PSU. i have 19+19 amps from my current PSU and the 350Watt one has an extra 15 amps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.derp View Post
Well you could just use your 550watt to power it, if its a half decent power supply. You can power a psu without plugging it into the motherboard, it takes a paper clip to do so.
i am using my 550W to power my whole system and its not enough, i wanan turn the ****ty 350W PSU and use the 6 pin power cable from that for an extra 15 amps. and ya i need to power the 350W psu without pluigging it into a motherboard, any idea how?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts