Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO i am using 1 gig 4870's in crossfire with 4 gigs ram and a quad core phenom. I manage to pull off only about 20 fps average in crysis 1920x1080 very high settings NO AA.

I know the game favors NVIDIA, but shouldnt i expect at least 10 fps higher than that with this setup?

·
Banned
5,411 Posts
The phenom is bottlenecking you by a huge margin.

If you had a 3Ghz Intel quad, I would expect your framerates to double. My 4850 on a 3.0Ghz Q6600 gets ~28FPS on Crysis Warhead, maxed (no AA), 1680x1050.

Also what drivers are you using?

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
what speed is your cpu at?how does AA affect the fps?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the newest drivers don't work. So i rolled back to july drivers. The newest drivers work with everything except crysis...

AA doesnt lower fps, but my processer is certiantly not bottlenecking. It is a phenom quad core 9950 black edition. This processer compares to the top of the line xtreme quad intel processers. I am also running 4 gigs ram.

I get better performance out of my 9600gt's running sli... lol so ***

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexhead
View Post

Well, the newest drivers don't work. So i rolled back to july drivers. The newest drivers work with everything except crysis...

AA doesnt lower fps, but my processer is certiantly not bottlenecking. It is a phenom quad core 9950 black edition. This processer compares to the top of the line xtreme quad intel processers. I am also running 4 gigs ram.

No the 9950 compares to the Q6600 intels lowest quad.

·
Banned
5,411 Posts
Try 8.11's. They work like a charm for me.

Quote:

View Post

That 9950 @ 2.7Ghz ~ stock Q6600.

The least you can do is push that Phenom as far as it will go. 3Ghz is a minimum.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Quote:

View Post

"Compares" is a strong word to use. Just because the 9950BE is the highest end of the AMD camp, doesn't quite mean it compares with intels master race.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its amd's top processer. Looking at benchmarks, intels "master race" only pulls out 1-2 fps over amd's in games. Anyways, it is certiantly not holding back performance, its not bottlenecking.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Quote:

View Post

http://www.techenclave.com/imagehost...d300fcae8b.png

a 4.4Ghz dualie results with 8.11,with a 4870x2 though and using the benchmark.i hope you meant 20fps using the benchmark settings and not in game fraps run.
so the CF might not be functioning correctly,and 9950 might be a good processor but at 2.6Ghz it might still be bottlenecking the two cards,try 3Ghz at least.

·
Banned
5,411 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Its amd's top processer. Looking at benchmarks, intels "master race" only pulls out 1-2 fps over amd's in games. Anyways, it is certiantly not holding back performance, its not bottlenecking.

What you're doing is saying is the best car from BMW will compete with the best car from Ferrari.

Believe me when I say this, that Phenom is bottlenecking those cards.

Also, if that motherboard you have that Phenom on dosen't have PCI 2.0, that is another bottleneck.

·
Banned
5,411 Posts
Quote:

View Post

My mobo is Asus's m3a79-t deluxe. Yup, just tried going back to 8.11 drivers=no good. Cryis won't run with them.

Interesting. Try 8.10's?

Also, overclock the phenom.

·
Goodbye
10,269 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by low strife
View Post

Believe me when I say this, that Phenom is bottlenecking those cards.

Except that the Phenom isn't. Don't go all fanboy on us here. The Intel Quads aren't that much more powerful then the Phenoms.

to the OP:

Just overclock the Phenom to 3Ghz+ (easy to do if you have the SB750)

I would also run driver cleaner and then reinstall the Cat 8.11s

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ya, with 8.11 i can only play in dx9 and won't go up to 1920x1080, but only 1680x1050 and only high settings. Even at those settings it only averages 30 fps on the benchmark. dx10 simply won't run.

I will try 8.10 and ocing i suppose.

·
Banned
5,411 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penicilyn
View Post

Except that the Phenom isn't. Don't go all fanboy on us here. The Intel Quads aren't that much more powerful then the Phenoms.

to the OP:

Just overclock the Phenom to 3Ghz+ (easy to do if you have the SB750)

I would also run driver cleaner and then reinstall the Cat 8.11s

Then explain how I get similar performance with my single 4850?

Also... Are we talking about Warhead, or the first Crysis?

·
Nobody
6,466 Posts
Well, your getting what I get at 1680x1050 res. with your 1920x1080 so I'd say your not too far off.

Of course I can't even think about running very high though, so I guess what I'm trying to say is your not that bad off with 20fps fully maxed out and at that higher res.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts