Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a long post so bear with me as I try and explain the situation.

Since I have received my two VisionTek 4870s I have been running some benches. The first day I ran 3DMark03, 05, 06, and Vantage with one card. I then ran them again in Crossfire. I both cards worked great and I could obviously tell that everything was working as it should. After running my crossfire tests I went to disable crossfire and my screen became all scrambled. I could not see anything so I reset my pc and crossfire was disabled and that was that for the night.

The next day I decided to play with some overclocks on the cards. I first ran the benchmarks on one card and then in crossfire and again everything was working great. Again when I was finished I disabled crossfire and the screen went all scrambled. So once again I reset the pc and it came back up and crossfire was disabled.

Now here we are at yesterday. I decided to run some more benches just in crossfire mode and for whatever reason it would not work. For example Vantage had these crazy streaks in Jane Nash and I was getting something like 12 - 18 fps. So I stopped it and took a look at CCC and made sure that I enabled Crossfire. Sure enough. I also took a look at GPU-Z and it also showed crossfire enabled. I disabled crossfire to run a single card to see if that would work and of course when I disabled it the screen once again became all scrambled and I had to reset. However, once it came back up I was able to run Vantage and 06 on a single card with similar results to what I have been getting. Then I enabled crossfire again and I still had the same problem as before. With a single card I can get 10,000. With two cards now I am getting about 7800 in Vantage, whereas before with two cards I was getting about 13700. Something is definatly wrong I just do not know what it is.

Also this was all done with the 8.11 drivers. After going through all of this I uninstalled, booted into safe mode and ran driver cleaner, rebooted and installed 8.10 and still have the same issue. I did some searching and found some stuff about Power Play issues but I am not sure if that could be it and why it would all of a sudden cause a problem. I am also pretty sure that it is not my PSU since it worked before. So any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody else has experienced anything like this I guess?

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BenBrown
View Post

Nobody else has experienced anything like this I guess?

Are all these problems coming at stock clocks?

Are the cards overheating?

Even though they can handle very high temps I noticed mine would become unstable at 80C+/artifact etc.

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have set the fans at 100% while benching so temps should not be too much of an issue. I also started slowly backing my overclocks down when I started receiving artifacts, however those only occur in Vantage. Also I can run still run a single card with no problems it's just like crossfire is no longer working at all or that they are not coming our of 2D mode or something. I especially think that when going from a 10,000 vantage single card score to a 7,000 crossfire score.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I'm sorry to hear your having so many issues with the cards, they ran perfectly for me for the duration.

I have no advise, just wishing you good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I have set the fans at 100% while benching so temps should not be too much of an issue. I also started slowly backing my overclocks down when I started receiving artifacts, however those only occur in Vantage. Also I can run still run a single card with no problems it's just like crossfire is no longer working at all or that they are not coming our of 2D mode or something. I especially think that when going from a 10,000 vantage single card score to a 7,000 crossfire score.

Put the cards at stock in ATI overdrive and see what crossfire does. Just run 3D06 and you should be able to tell if crossfire is working in the first 5 seconds of Proxycon.

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I still think they are great cards and that hopefully there is some way to overcome it. I know they were working great in crossfire, I just don't know what could have happened to change that.

Did you ever have a problem enabling/disabling your crossfire and getting a scrambled screen? I am not sure if this is a common issue or if it is sort of related to the monitor issue that I had before.

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by rpm666
View Post

Put the cards at stock in ATI overdrive and see what crossfire does. Just run 3D06 and you should be able to tell if crossfire is working in the first 5 seconds of Proxycon.

Ya I did that, it wasn't. Thanks for the thought though. I do hope it is something easy like that, that I am overlooking though.

·
Old C-130 Guy
4,995 Posts
Just a thought.. Ben I'm sure you would have tried this.

Have you tried swapping out your bridges?
Maybe one is damaged...

• Rep+
Reactions: BenBrown

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by By-Tor
View Post

Just a thought.. Ben I'm sure you would have tried this.

Have you tried swapping out your bridges?
Maybe one is damaged...

That I did not try. I tried one, then I tried two, but I did not change the first one. I will give that a try.

·
Old C-130 Guy
4,995 Posts
Quote:

View Post

That I did not try. I tried one, then I tried two, but I did not change the first one. I will give that a try.

Worth a shot...

I'm waiting on my second 4870 and hate to read of others having probelms with the cards...

Good luck

Also I did have a problem with a 3870x2 not wanting to work in crossfire with a single 3870. I found that if I upped the slot wattage from the stock 25 watts to 35 watts all was fine.

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
I had a handful of issues with my 4870 crossfire - very frustrating issues - and it all revolved around the fact that I had my BIOS clocks at 855/1150 - which put it out of ATI overdrive clocks (790/1100) and for some reason would not allow crossfire.

It drove me nuts for a day or two, I put everything at stock settings with riva tuner, THEN opened CCC and turned OFF ATI overdrive. Then over clocked my cards again and Crossfire worked beautifully.

·
Fly on the wall
2,432 Posts
I had some issues with mine when I first got the 2nd card running, artifacts and crashing issues when I would try anything other than stock settings turned out to be the PS. It was an Ultra X2 750watt and each card was using 25amps, the ps was ok just not enough total amps on both rails. Went to a bigger PS everything works great...

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by rpm666
View Post

I had a handful of issues with my 4870 crossfire - very frustrating issues - and it all revolved around the fact that I had my BIOS clocks at 855/1150 - which put it out of ATI overdrive clocks (790/1100) and for some reason would not allow crossfire.

It drove me nuts for a day or two, I put everything at stock settings with riva tuner, THEN opened CCC and turned OFF ATI overdrive. Then over clocked my cards again and Crossfire worked beautifully.

Well I did edit the bios of my card to up the max overclocks however I did not change the default clocks. Also it did work the first few times I benched, but now for some reason it's not. I still my try disabling overdrive and just use the latest RivaTuner now that you can overclock each card while in crossfire mode. Thanks for the info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by We Gone
View Post

I had some issues with mine when I first got the 2nd card running, artifacts and crashing issues when I would try anything other than stock settings turned out to be the PS. It was an Ultra X2 750watt and each card was using 25amps, the ps was ok just not enough total amps on both rails. Went to a bigger PS everything works great...

Well as stated above it did work the first few times I ran the benchmarks and now it won't. I am curious not though as I did order an Ultra X3 and it came in today and I am planning to install that and my third 4870, however if yours were drawing 25A per card (which seems like alot) then I only have 70A on my single rail, I may have issues.

·
Fly on the wall
2,432 Posts
I agree 25amps per card is a lot, the way I found it was a PS issue I used an older 450watt PS to power just 1 of the cards and everything was good. According to Everest the cards are using 25.74 & 28.45 amps.
Good Luck...

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
Ben did you get this all figured out and working?

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I came home yesterday and I guess my house had a brownout because most of my computers were off. I turned everything on and I thought what the heck lets try it one more time and believe it or not it worked. So I installed my new Ultra PSU and my third 4870 and let it install the driver and rebooted and ran 3DMark06 to see if indeed everything was still working and sure enough I got 18,536. So I have no idea what happened, however I am scared to turn off my pc in fear that it will not work again

Thanks everyone for trying to help me figure this out, it is definatly a frustration issue and one that I hope does not rear it's ugly head again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts