Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have decided that i need beef up my gpu setup i have a Vanilla Radeon 4870 1GB, so i wanted some advice.

I really have only 2 options:

1. Get another 4870 and CF?
LINK
2. Get a GTX 275 (and attempt to sell my card)
LINK
3. (if anyone else has an idea please put it forward)

Im on a tight budget (saving for a house
) so max i can spend is no more than £160

All feedback welcome

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Out of those choices id definately get another 4870 to crossfire. Getting a gtx275 would give you hardly any more performance over a 4870 I don't think.

I'd also look at getting a 5850 - that would be a nice boost to graphics (and you could also keep the 4870 along side it I think?) and I think you can find them for around £185 if you shop around. Worth a look anyway

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your input guys.

+REP for both of you!

My only problem is that i didn't really want to go down the CF route as i have had a few issues before.

BUT if it is going to help that much then its worth a shot

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
save up more and get a 5870 thats what i did.. now my 4870 is my back up card..
if you sell you 4870 and get a gtx 275 you will be buying the most underestimated card
from Nvidia i had it and love it it was just a great card ..

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypcisugly
View Post

save up more and get a 5870 thats what i did.. now my 4870 is my back up card..
if you sell you 4870 and get a gtx 275 you will be buying the most underestimated card
from Nvidia i had it and love it it was just a great card ..

I would love to do that but i cant justify spending £300 on a card to the GF as we are saving for a house

Damn those women, wanting to save and progress in life

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
why not 5770 or even a 5850?

Why not go 1 5770 now? DX11 and future proof
40nm FTW

then wait for price drop (when fermi the ancient mythical creature arrives within the next 2 weeks) and grab another to crossfire which = to a 5870 when both cards are OC'ed?

If you are gonna grab a 5770 grab a MSI 5770 Hawk, they OC and cool like a beast!

·
Registered
3,628 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by slim123 View Post
I would love to do that but i cant justify spending £300 on a card to the GF as we are saving for a house

Could be worse... if she started dropping those I-want-a-baby hints all over the place... (Unless if that's already happened and is the reason you're saving up for a house
)

·
Premium Member
9,349 Posts
If you can get an used 4870 for fairly cheap, I would definitely drop another in for X-Fire, they would be performance beasts for gaming.

Otherwise, you could opt to sell your 4870 and pick up a 5870.

I would go one of those two routes.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComGuards View Post
Could be worse... if she started dropping those I-want-a-baby hints all over the place... (Unless if that's already happened and is the reason you're saving up for a house
)
I hear that

But we made a joint decision that we will have kids when we are between 23-25

We want a house before a kid(s).

------------
EDIT:

I cant now decide between a 5770 and a 4870.

This is why i'm torn:

1. I already have a 4870 so another one seems logical for a massive performance increase.
2. If i buy a 5770 i will have the option to get dx11 (if that ever takes off)
3. I will have to buy 2x 5770 because i don't think 1 will be enough

·
Loosing Vision
1,885 Posts
Quote:

LOL I know about the women.... Try to run that system on a extension cord living in the streets!

·
Ore Wa Gundam
1,800 Posts
Quote:

I hear that

Make sure if she's ever on medication for -anything- you don't do the biz for like a week or you'll fall short of that then

Antibiotics+Pill=Baby

LOL

Quote:
1. I already have a 4870 so another one seems logical for a massive performance increase.
I'd go for the CF, the power that you'll get outta it will be worth it, and DX11 probably won't be truly mainstream for another year. When that comes, sell your CF and get a 6xxx or a 5xxx and CF them.

120 quid for another 4870, use the rest on a nice cooler for the upper-tiered GPU, or bribe the missus to let you buy a new GPU next year 8)

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Quote:

I hear that

------------
EDIT:

I cant now decide between a 5770 and a 4870.

This is why i'm torn:

The 5770 is between the 4870 and 4890 so you would only see a slight performance increase moving from a single 4870 to 5770. However, you will get the benefit of DX11 and you could later get another 5770 and perform within 5% of a 5870. Personally, I would pick up another 4870 now, it's the cheapest solution and it would yield the most performance.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reflux View Post
4870 = 5770. Tom's says they are almost identical in benchmarks and at times the 4870 beats it by a small margin.

Either sell the 4870 and buy a 5850, or get another 4870 as long as you have the power supply to handle 2 powerful cards.

P.S. What are you doing that a 4870 isn't powerful enough?

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Sell the 4870, go for the 5850. You will see a very noticeable performance boost.

Either that, or get an extra 4870, and maybe get some GPU cooling inside that rig for some OC'ing.

OR...

Wait with the other fellow OCN'ers for Fermi to come, and see if it has any effects on current GPU prices. I'm not really putting my money on any price decrease, but hey, we can believe, right? >.>

·
Ore Wa Gundam
1,800 Posts

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
I would also recommend a 5850 if you can afford it, you will see a definate performance increase. If not then another 4870 is the next best thing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts