Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Asus 4870 1GB, but it never seems to get loaded past 50% or so, and games run poorly.
Anyone else have similar problems or know what's wrong?

I know my system isn't exactly top of the line, but I think I should get more than 30fps in source engine games

LL
LL

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Pentium D 830 (crap)

• Rep+
Reactions: igob8a

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reinstalled drivers a couple times, but no improvement.

I figured it had something to do with my cpu, but it never gets loaded much either. Core0 is at around 70-80% and core1 is only like 10% while gaming.

Would this still bottleneck the 4870?
LL
LL

·
Banned
5,890 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YLDaryl View Post
Yeah like he said that cpu is just not enought for a 4870.... move up to dual or quad core.
The PD is a dual core, just a bit of an old one

·
Registered
244 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by igob8a View Post
Reinstalled drivers a couple times, but no improvement.

I figured it had something to do with my cpu, but it never gets loaded much either. Core0 is at around 70-80% and core1 is only like 10% while gaming.

Would this still bottleneck the 4870?
tf2 is a prime example of source engine cpu rape. tf2 has little to no support for multi cores and at most use the 2nd core for little things.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Source engines are only single threaded so it needs raw clock speed and an efficient architecture. Moving from yours to even an E2160 @ 3GHz would be a large step up. My old AMD X2 was limiting even my 3870.

• Rep+

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
try cpu affinity from task manager for games if they are running on a single core,see if that helps.my cs1.6 runs on a single core,not sure about source titles.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Turn up the eye candy and turn down the physics. You are getting poor framerates and low GPU usage because your 4870 is waiting for data from your Pentium D.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Can you overclock you Pentium D? If you get sufficient cooling you should hit 4GHz.

• Rep+

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the help guys. Looks like I'll be upgrading cpu and mobo next.

Rep+ for everyone who replied!

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Livinstrong
View Post

Can you overclock you Pentium D? If you get sufficient cooling you should hit 4GHz.

I would, but these things run hot. On load at stock clocks I hit 50-60c easily so ocing isn't really an option for me

·
Registered
253 Posts
What I meant was go with a core2duo or an athlonx2... a dual core p4 is still a p4. Poor architecture. Plus a Pentium D has 2 separate dies with one core each which sucks for gaming.

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
Something still doesn't add up. Althought the Pent. D is crap(slow), still doesn't explain the lack of gpu usage. I still have a Pent. D 840 and yes it would just make you slow but you should still see 95-100% cpu usage in 3d apps. Try Furmak in a windowed low resolution mode, like 640 x 480. Run gpu-z at same time with furmark in either a benchmark or stability test. See if then don't get close to 100% cpu usage.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Enable multicore rendering under TF2 advanced video options, it was added in a recent patch.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts