Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm in the market for a new video card (upgrading from my 8600GT) and was wondering if I could get some suggestions.

I'm pretty much stuck on either getting an ATI 4870 or GTX 260 216, but cannot decide which based on the price and power requirements. (I know they are basically equal in performance, I'm not here to debate that).

I know for a fact that my OCZ StealthXStream 600Watt can support the 4870, but can it do a GTX 260 like this? I need to know for certain, as the life of the rest of my PC depends on my PSU.
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···14127409

Now, I was just about to get the 4870 last weekend, when ATI announced the price cuts, but held back thinking they were not officially out yet. I was wrong. Now, apparently, the manufacturers aren't cutting the prices, so a 4870 1GB (sapphire) is 197.99 with shipping on newegg.

What I'm basically asking is if I should get the GTX 260 (if I can support it) right now for 159.99 after MIR, or wait for a future ATI price cut. Do you think the 4890 or whatever they will call it, that comes out in April, will lower the 4870 prices down a significant amount?

Thanks for the advice and info, I'm really stuck right now. I don't want to impulse buy, but I don't want to wait forever.
=====
Specs:
Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 3.2ghz
XFX 8600GT @ 620/900
2GB DDR2-800
Vista Home Premium 32
Gigabyte P35-DS3R rev 1
OCZ StealthXStream 600Watt (quad +12V 18amps/per.)

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Your PSU should be fine, in fact just reading some test results on that PSU hardwaresecrets seem to think that OCZ unit could have been labled a 700W unit and still been efficient. Your sig rig would probably only pull around 400-450w Max, and that's including the likes of a GTX260

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies in such a fast amount of time everyone!

I like the price of that GTX 260 from MSI. I was going to get the 4870 1GB, but I can get the 260 for the same price before rebates, then when I get the rebate I just got $30 off.

My PSU has 4 18amp rails though, is this sufficient? Not all of the rails are used for the PCIe connectors.

Also, do you guys think it would be a smart decision to get the card now, or to wait until say this weekend (maybe a weekend deal?) or until the 4890/GTX 275 come out?

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jouno53
View Post

I like the price of that GTX 260 from MSI. I was going to get the 4870 1GB, but I can get the 260 for the same price before rebates, then when I get the rebate I just got $30 off.

My PSU has 4 18amp rails though, is this sufficient? Not all of the rails are used for the PCIe connectors.

Also, do you guys think it would be a smart decision to get the card now, or to wait until say this weekend (maybe a weekend deal?) or until the 4890/GTX 275 come out?

Thanks again

Yes, your psu is approx 50 amp.

I would get the card now (but that's just me
) You could wait forever for deals to come up.

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jouno53 View Post

Thanks again
uh your PSU has 4 12v rails... all for PCI-Express.

if you don't mind waiting 2-3 weeks, sure go ahead.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again everyone, I'm glad I'm getting all the assurance.

I think I'm going to go with a 260, but now the other question - which one to get? I normally shop at newegg, but take a look here:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...709&CatId=3775

Tiger's prices seem good, but I've never shopped from there before.

EDIT: Is this: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...y=REVIEWS#tabs

and this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150329

the same? Also, I noticed that on its specs it says a minimum of 630watts is required. Is this a 65nm version that requires more power? I don't want to risk it, but I like XFX. Looks like it requires an 8pin as well, which I don't have.

Just wondering what a good 260 to get would be.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
my brother runs a gtx260 216 on that same psu! so i guarantee itll work. I run it on a 550w (look a sig).
with xfx i think its luck of the draw for 55nm thats why i went evga, guaranteed (only 1 who guarantees afaik).

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by slickwilly View Post
He is looking at GTX 260's with the 65nm core.
Your first link on page one was broken, I assume you where linking to the 192 core version I saw on the egg at that price, you will be happier with the 216 card.

One more thing to think about is using your 8600 for Physx
From which post of mine? In my previous one just above I was comparing an EVGA card from Tiger to one at Newegg. It looks like people were getting tigerdirect's price not too long ago, and now Newegg is back up. (So I assume it will go back down to 199.99 w/MIR soon enough?)

That's a sweet idea but my P35-DS3R has 1 PCIe slot...

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
According to your PSU label, you can have as much as 580W on all 4 12v rails and on the 3 and 5v rail combined. The most power that can be applied to the 3 and 5v rails is 155W. 580 - 155 = 425W. So even at full draw from your 3 and 5v rails, that still leaves 425W on the 12v rails.

P = VI

P = power
V = voltage
I = current

So 425W = 12v * I amps

I = 35.42 Amps. That's like a worse case scenario, even if the 3 and 5v rails are pulling max power, you'll still have 35 A for the 12v rails. That's plenty for a GTX 260 system.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.