Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a review the other day about the Arctic Cooling Accelero XTREME 4870X2 VGA Cooler killing cards. Should i buy it?
 

·
semi-legit
Joined
·
7,981 Posts
Where was this review from? I've only read great things about this cooler (B3D, BTech etc.)...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,248 Posts
something about the screws not being long enough so people had to put a ton of pressure on the card to get it screwed in

theyre aware of the problem and will send you longer screws if you request
 

·
semi-legit
Joined
·
7,981 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by FlAwLeSS_666
View Post

Yup, it is a great cooler, till it killed my card.

Sorry if you've had to explain this already, but what exactly happened?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
This is an excellent cooler now Arctic cooling is shipping the right screws with it or just email them and ask it took 2 days to get mine in. Now this cooler can let me benchmark my card at 870/960 frequency's which are basically a 4890 stock card, which is great for the 4870x2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,143 Posts
The x-clamp screws provided by the manufacture where not long enough resulting in excess pressure on the gpu core during install. Even professional review sites managed to brick 2 or more cards trying to mount it. Until they release the new screws steer clear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,064 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by I_dalder_I
View Post

The x-clamp screws provided by the manufacture where not long enough resulting in excess pressure on the gpu core during install. Even professional review sites managed to brick 2 or more cards trying to mount it. Until they release the new screws steer clear.

Use the screws from the stock cooler's fan shroud, they fit right in and screw into the standoffs. Works like a charm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
906 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by candy_van
View Post

Sorry if you've had to explain this already, but what exactly happened?

No idea really, the card worked for about 3 days or so, then poof, my screen would artifact and I wouldn't be able to do anything about it, reboot, and within seconds; artifacts, put the stock cooler back on, and same thing, from what I understand it's because of the X brackets, and the short screws.

Well some good news out of the whole thing, I am getting my card back within the next few days (Thanks Robilar, the guy I bought the card off of.) and I will be getting the new screws from AC, so MAYBE this time I'll be able to bench this card with some 4890 clocks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,206 Posts
The x-clamps work fine.

I've come to the conclusion that it's complete user error. It took me under 5 minutes to get them on. If the last corner of the clamp won't screw on, do not put more pressure on it. Instead completely unscrew the clamp, rotate it and try again. I had to rotate mine when one of the corners wouldn't screw in, once I did that it fit perfectly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
906 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marin View Post
The x-clamps work fine.

I've come to the conclusion that it's complete user error. It took me under 5 minutes to get them on. If the last corner of the clamp won't screw on, do not put more pressure on it. Instead completely unscrew the clamp, rotate it and try again. I had to rotate mine when one of the corners wouldn't screw in, once I did that it fit perfectly.
Did that with both X-brackets, did it for each corner of the bracket, and when I did finally get it on, I didn't use much force at all, infact when I did get it installed after removing the cooler a few times trying to figure out what was wrong, the cooler went on fine, and in about 5 min, yet my card still fried, so I don't think it was user error.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakethesnake011 View Post
Flawless why put this cooler on an Asus tri fan unless rob had another 4870x2
Look at my sig rig again before posting.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top