Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I play eve online and when I get into a fight with a little more then 70 people my fps drag down to one. I have alliance mates with similar and even worse setups then mine that play maxed out effects, windowed mode, and two clients at the same fight and they don't dip down in fps at all.

4890 1gb (fairly new)
4gb G.Skillz 800mhz (Just bought and installed)
Phenom x4 9500

I just bought new ram as I was only running 2 gigs of really old and slow ram. I was hoping this was the bottleneck but it is not. Just got into a pretty big fight today (400-500 people) and its still happening, all effects, fullscreen ect ect.

Can you guys give me suggestions for tests I can run to get a better picture? I have tried wiping and reinstalling drivers. This is a fairly new install of windows7, and I was also having the problem with Vista.

edit: I get bad fps with Bad Company 2, and Crysis. I get almost perfect fps with cod4.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it is the XFX series but I was also having the same problem with my 8800GS back then.

·
Premium Member
10,858 Posts
It's your Phenom.

Phenom architecture is slow and such a low clock speed of 2.2ghz is really slowwwwwwwwwwww. It doesn't help that games don't utilize quads either.

So when you get into big fights and a lot of stuff is going on in game, like 70 people flying around or whatever you said, your CPU just can't keep up. That's why the same thing happened on the old card.

Just buy a Phenom II x2 555, x3 720, or x4 955 depending on the budget you have.

·
Premium Member
6,631 Posts
good point, in the future please fill out your sig rig info so we know what your others specs are

other than your phenom, it could also be the bad batch of XFX 4890's

·
Premium Member
10,858 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Pie
View Post

good point, in the future please fill out your sig rig info so we know what your others specs are

other than your phenom, it could also be the bad batch of XFX 4890's

XFX 4890s are pieces of trash and I would not touch them with a 10 foot pole, but this is not the problem. I guarantee it is the Phenom.

·
Premium Member
6,631 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dopamin3
View Post

XFX 4890s are pieces of trash and I would not touch them with a 10 foot pole, but this is not the problem. I guarantee it is the Phenom.

yah i agree with the phenom thing, but yes sir
the XFX 4890's are pure trash, even the newer 5770's have been cheaped out!

Quote:

Originally Posted by motoray
View Post

Only the new xfx4890 the older ones are good. Mine gets 58fps avg 1680x1050 max everything on bad company2. so... dunno what to say on that.

rofl new 5770's have also been cheaped out on

·
Premium Member
10,858 Posts

I think only a few games have the problem of slightly worse performance, but the PCB is cheaper. It's unacceptable to sell a top end card like that and ruin the PCB without letting the customer know. They even implemented this design on ones with a reference cooler so you couldn't tell the difference.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dopamin3 View Post
Just buy a Phenom II x2 555, x3 720, or x4 955 depending on the budget you have.
Will these fit on my current motherboard? ECS Nettle3(Socket am2)

Also which one do you recommend. I was hoping to get a new computer when I get a job, not likely now.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evtron View Post
If your mobo is socket AM2 and not AM2+ I would recommend the X4 940.

It will pop right in without a hiccup and net you a world of difference than your current processor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-471-_-Product
I was really liking the phen II 555, for the price and 3.2ghz. Are there any am2 processors like the 555?

·
Banned
10,292 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by loKi- View Post
Will these fit on my current motherboard? ECS Nettle3(Socket am2)

Also which one do you recommend. I was hoping to get a new computer when I get a job, not likely now.
the penom 955 wont as its AM3

i'd have a look around on newegg for phenom's that are AM2.

·
Premium Member
10,858 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evtron View Post
If your mobo is socket AM2 and not AM2+ I would recommend the X4 940.

It will pop right in without a hiccup and net you a world of difference than your current processor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-471-_-Product
Not exactly

Most likely the board will POST fine and be operational. However, the bios won't recognize the CPU properly and run it at 800mhz constantly. And assuming this is an OEM board (which I'm guessing is what it is) he will have no bios control whatsoever, so that means no settings adjusted or no overclocking even. Plus if it is a crap board, which I also assume it is, I'm 99% sure it wouldn't support 125W+ CPUs anyway.

If I were in your shoes I would just save up money from a job and go from there. No point in upgrading CPU in OEM computer because you can't change any settings- which is the whole point of buying the parts yourself.

·
Banned
5,028 Posts
they might work if there is a bios update for your motherboard that has AM3 support.
i coulnt find it on ECS website. its actually on HP's website. are u sure that its AM2? all i saw was AM2+.
i dont think it's the video card. i own a XFX 4890 but the PCB is red. if the PCB is black than that could be the problem too.
but im about 87% sure its the CPU. try overclocking the phenom if you have no other option!

EDIT: i forgot its a crappy OEM board. i dont think u can update bios with those. dont waste your money on it! try saving up for a cheap AM2+ or AM3 board. you could find a decent one for 40-60 bucks!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Even though speccy shows my current motherboard as am2, it seems the 9500's were am2+.

I can't really find a processor that is worth upgrading too. Should I just wait till I get the $ and fully upgrade to i7?

·
Banned
5,028 Posts
OR
wait for phenom II 975 and OVERCLOCK IT
buy a phenom II 6 core and OVERCLOCK IT
buy an i5 and OVERCLOCK IT
buy an i7 for 1156 socket and OVERCLOCK IT
buy a Phenom II 555, 550, or 720 and UNLOCK CORES and OVERCLOCK IT
unless you want to spend the xtra $$ and buy an i7 1366 socket. your choice.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wouldn't risk overclocking anything as this was a pre-built computer bought from some store, and I have never done it before.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts