Overclock.net banner

4890 supports DX11?

1967 Views 17 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  lethal
don't call me crazy but i think somehow my XFX ATi Radeon HD 4890 supports DX11,because in almost all of my games there is more bloom effect and better FPS than there was on vista,then again it could be just the new graphics card drivers,ill try and post a comparison afte ri get back from my grandmas for thanksgiving

peace

-PsYcHo
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Well, unless you're running a DX11 game, it would make a difference anyway.

A 4890 is not a DX11 card. Sorry. DX11 is characterised by much more than just 'more bloom effect'.
It supports DirectX 10.1 not 11.
Win 7 just runs faster than vista, that would be my guess as to why it looks better
Quote:

Originally Posted by justinjja
View Post

Win 7 just runs faster than vista, that would be my guess as to why it looks better

Running faster != looking better.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsYcHo29388
View Post

don't call me crazy but i think somehow my XFX ATi Radeon HD 4890 supports DX11,because in almost all of my games there is more bloom effect and better FPS than there was on vista,then again it could be just the new graphics card drivers,ill try and post a comparison afte ri get back from my grandmas for thanksgiving

peace

-PsYcHo

Are there even DX11 games out at the moment? I know only Stalker: CoP has DX11 and is released..

Even if 4890 supported DX11 ( it can't, it has different architecture, that wont fully support DX11 ), it wouldn't add anything to DX9 and DX10 games.

In 2 words: Not possible.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andr3az
View Post

Are there even DX11 games out at the moment? I know only Stalker: CoP has DX11 and is released..

Battleforge has DX11 support, too.
See less See more
ok i guess the performance is caused by both windows 7 and new drivers because
windows 7 before new drivers rated my graphics card 6.8,now with new drivers,7.5
and in resident evil 5 i used to play all max settings except aa which was 4xaa,and i got atleast 40 fps average and now with windows 7 and new drivers MAX SETTINGS i get like 60 fps limited,and also ever since i got windows 7 i have had very weird glitches in GTA IV,like at night when i go to some certain spots in the game the screen gets all very blurry and the motion blur and bloom affect is like totally out of controll,aka theres so much you cant even see niko or your car and so much motion blur that after you move your car or niko the image like stays in one place for awhile,then again it could be graphics card drivers.
Drivers can do that.
Quote:

Originally Posted by neurolysis
View Post

Well, unless you're running a DX11 game, it would make a difference anyway.

A 4890 is not a DX11 card. Sorry. DX11 is characterised by much more than just 'more bloom effect'.

no need to say sorry,DX11 is pretty much worthless right now since practically no games support it right now,ill probably only upgrade when DX11 is supported in almost every game
See less See more
Quote:

View Post

ill probably only upgrade when DX11 is supported in almost every game

That's simply not going to happen, think about how many games have bothered to have a DX10 or 10.1 mode. Easily less than a quarter. It will probably be less for DX11.
See less See more
Quote:

View Post

That's simply not going to happen, think about how many games have bothered to have a DX10 or 10.1 mode. Easily less than a quarter. It will probably be less for DX11.

yeah i guess stick with a 4890 until dx10 and dx10.1 go out of date,then i will get a dx11 video card,or dx12 if possible
See less See more
This must be the 10th topic with this issue. I think we need a sticky ....4890 can't use DX11
See less See more
Quote:

View Post

Running faster != looking better.

!= Isn't that from java, lol you made me remember the horrible things from computer science, even when I am in break.
See less See more
Quote:

View Post

yeah i guess stick with a 4890 until dx10 and dx10.1 go out of date,then i will get a dx11 video card,or dx12 if possible

That won't be for a long time. Come on, there are people still playing Starcraft out there...
See less See more
If you ran a Dx11 game with a 4890, i would probably work and all the graphics options would be free to change to increase visual graphics!
Quote:

View Post

Don't expect DX12 for ~5+ years. The reason why DX10, 10.1, and 11 went by so fast is because DX10 was pretty much a failure. It ran very bad for the first year. It's a little bit better now, but it still requires massive hardware to handle it in most games at a decent resolution. There are a few games that have very good DX10 support that runs well. LOTRO is probably the best example.

DX11 on the other hand looks much more optimized and for the most part is a heavily improved upon DX10. Even the lower end DX11 models are running it with decent frames.
See less See more
this seems as good a thread as any to post this in.

I currently have an 8800GT 512mb. I've been really close to ordering a 4890 but the talk of directx 11 has slowed me down. I'm hedging trying to decide if I should go for the new card or wait for ATI to get some more 5870's out and grab one of those, or better.. put one on my Christmas list

here's my questions or confusions.

I understand the 4890 is not a directx11 piece of hardware, however:

havent ati cards had support for tesselation for some time now? meaning despite not being a directx 11 card.. would it still be able to support tesselation?

and..

directx 11 from what I've read sounds like it's really going to enable games take advantage of our dual and quad core systems.. so if i'm playing a directx 11 game on a 4890.. wont i still gain that part of the benefit (the game using more of my quad core finally)??

4890's are priced just right for me right now. my 8800gt isn't terrible and i could survive longer.. but i'm at the midpoint of this build (built 3Q of 2007) and I normally drop a new card in at this stage for the 2nd half of the builds life (i target 4 years out of any build before a big core update components update)

thoughts? answers?
See less See more
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.