Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im running 32bit xp and have 2gb or ram now id like to get another 2bg but have been told that 32bit os will only read 3gb so is this true?? also if i have to but just 1gb tis will bw in single channel so will it make that much difference??

cheers

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Xp 32bit will not recognize all 4gb of ram. You need a 64bit os. And i'm sorry but can you explain your second question, I am not quite understanding. NVM: No it will not make that much of a difference, you probably will not notice it.

·
Premium Member
4,571 Posts
Memory is very inexpensive rite now, you would be best off just buying another 2gb stick even if you cant use the whole thing.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have 2x1gb sticks in at thhe moment. is it worth getting a 64bit os or best to just put in another 1gb and wate for windows7??

·
Premium Member
8,017 Posts
if you get a second 2gb stick, make sure it is the same as the 2gb stick you currently have. It is good in dual channel, and you will notice a difference, even if the OS does not see one, because dual channel will be in effect.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxicrimsonixx
View Post

if you get a second 2gb stick, make sure it is the same as the 2gb stick you currently have. It is good in dual channel, and you will notice a difference, even if the OS does not see one, because dual channel will be in effect.

Dual channel benefits are less than 5% in benchmarks... real-world gains are less.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts