Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm thinking of getting a 4k tv to use as a regular pc monitor, and for gaming with my pc and ps4. I could really do with more pixels for music editing so I can fit more stuff on the screen. I'd still do a lot (or all) of my gaming in 1920x1080, but it would be nice to have the option to play games in 4k/60fps.The reason I want to go with a tv is that you can get a pretty big screen for your money compared to monitors, though I know that comes with sacrifices..

So these are my requirements:

* Screen needs to be 40" or close to it.

* Needs to be good for everyday pc use - web browsing, reading text etc (this is important because I'd have to sell my current monitor to buy a new screen, and I can only have one screen for everything due to my setup).

* Low enough input lag for gaming (I don't expect it to be like my Benq gaming monitor, but it needs to be playable).

* Affordable - Under £400 would be good. Hopefully this isn't too unreasonable..

* Needs to be able to do at least a proper 60hz with the 4k resolution, and with 1080p of course.

Anyone know any good ones? Maybe there's an affordable monitor instead of a tv?

Thanks all
smile.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,909 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,163 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaB123 View Post

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-D40u-D1-Class-Ultra-Full-Array/dp/B01A0LGV06/ref=sr_1_cc_7?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1461530671&sr=1-7-catcorr&keywords=40%22+4K#productDetails

Under 400£\600$
4K UHD
60Hz
40"

Only downside is 18ms input lag..
That TV you linked apparently has 50ms input lag in "game mode" which is a bit high, but it's a TV, not a monitor, specifically meant for watching TV..
Apparently that tv is 120hz, according to the manufacturer website. I assume that "18 ms input lag" was a typo? 18 ms would actually be amazing, especially from a tv. My gaming monitor has 21 ms input lag: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/benq-xl2720z-gaming-monitor,review-32962-9.html
Any idea what text looks like on that thing?
I can't find it on Amazon uk, but I might be able to find it somewhere else.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggah View Post

Subbed. Im looking for the exact same type of monitor for my setup aswell.
Cool. Stay tuned and feel free to add your own findings to the thread
thumb.gif


Quote:
Originally Posted by ep45-ds3l View Post

You'll need a current Nvidia GPU that supports HDMI 2.0 to have 4:4:4 chroma @4K 60hz or a proper DP1.2 to HDMI 2.0 cable otherwise which in theory should work as long as the tv has support for HDMI 2.0 4:4:4 chroma @4K 60hz

Maybe this one?? http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/products/reader.en/product/displayport-12-to-hdmi-20-uhd-active-adapter.html

There are a few UHD tvs that do support DP1.2 OOTB though
I don't really know much about "4:4:4 chroma". Is that important? Thanks for the tip about 4k @ 60hz. I'm sure I could find a Display port to hdmi conversion solution like the one you linked if the tv doesn't have a display port input
smile.gif


Quote:
Originally Posted by IMI4tth3w View Post

This is a pc monitor, but its pretty close to your budget.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perfect-AMH-A409U-40-UHD-3840X2160-DP1-2-HDMI2-0-Real-4K-LED-Monitor-Remote-/322022769271?hash=item4afa0d8277

5ms is more like 10ms (they claim the response time when using the monitor on the fastest overdrive setting, which is ghosting city) but much better than any 4k tv.
Well, response time is one thing, and input lag is another.. Is that a screen you've used? Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
I am also looking into this, as I need a new TV as old one is on the fritz, I was gonna take a chance on the Seiki 42" 4k they got at ebuyer for £270 and then run the club3D display port adaptor and an HDMI 2.0 lead of a Nvidia 970, on reading up on here it seems the 900 Nvidia cards don't do [email protected] with 4.4.4, I don't know what 4.4.4 is but I think you might need it if you using the TV as monitor, anyway all in all it's about 300 bangers and worth the punt, I let you know how I get on. I mainly gonna use this for games and movies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by wozza View Post

I am also looking into this, as I need a new TV as old one is on the fritz, I was gonna take a chance on the Seiki 42" 4k they got at ebuyer for £270 and then run the club3D display port adaptor and an HDMI 2.0 lead of a Nvidia 970, on reading up on here it seems the 900 Nvidia cards don't do [email protected] with 4.4.4, I don't know what 4.4.4 is but I think you might need it if you using the TV as monitor, anyway all in all it's about 300 bangers and worth the punt, I let you know how I get on. I mainly gonna use this for games and movies.
Nice. Please do let me know how it is! I'm talking to Vizio at the moment to get the some input lag times of their cheaper 4k screens. I'll post that info here when I've got it
smile.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Hello I ended up getting a Philips 49" 4900 series from Argos they knocking them out for £330 http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4489531.htm just set it up and it looks amazing, although at full 4k at 60hz you only get 4.2.0 at 12 bpc and it is noticeable like lips look abit to pink and a slight ghosting around text if you drop it down to 30hz it looks super fab, but I play lots of games so need the 60hz so I went and bought the Club3d display port adaptor so you can get the bandwidth needed for 4.4.4 I got it from here https://www.scan.co.uk/products/club3d-cac-1070-displayport-12-(m)-to-hdmi-20-(f)-active-converter-cable-supports-8bit-4k-uhd-60hz-a

I ran some tests on Vsync and refresh rates and happy to say this TV does full 4k at 16ms response time, which is damn good for a TV, defiantly recommend this TV if you are gamer.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wozza View Post

Hello I ended up getting a Philips 49" 4900 series from Argos they knocking them out for £330 http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4489531.htm just set it up and it looks amazing, although at full 4k at 60hz you only get 4.2.0 at 12 bpc and it is noticeable like lips look abit to pink and a slight ghosting around text if you drop it down to 30hz it looks super fab, but I play lots of games so need the 60hz so I went and bought the Club3d display port adaptor so you can get the bandwidth needed for 4.4.4 I got it from here https://www.scan.co.uk/products/club3d-cac-1070-displayport-12-(m)-to-hdmi-20-(f)-active-converter-cable-supports-8bit-4k-uhd-60hz-a

I ran some tests on Vsync and refresh rates and happy to say this TV does full 4k at 16ms response time, which is damn good for a TV, defiantly recommend this TV if you are gamer.

Thanks for reporting back. I don't know what "4.2.0 at 12 bpc" means, but are you saying text looks better at 60hz or 30hz? Any idea what the input lag is on that screen? I can't find anything on it.. Have you tried playing first person shooters on pc, and how does that feel? Do you think you could use it as a monitor and sit about 4ft from it reading text all day?

You don't have to answer all that, of course! But it would really help me if you could
thumb.gif
Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET900 View Post

Thanks for reporting back. I don't know what "4.2.0" at 12 bpc" means, but are you saying text looks better at 60hz or 30hz? Any idea what the input lag is on that screen? I can't find anything on it.. Have you tried playing first person shooters on pc, and how does that feel? Do you think you could use it as a monitor and sit about 4ft from it reading text all day?

You don't have to answer all that, of course! But it would really help me if you could
thumb.gif
Thanks.
Hello I just got the Club3d adaptor today and set it up and I now get full RGB or 4.4.4. I was not sure what it all was until I started looking up on purchasing a 4K TV, it seems something to do with the limitation of HDMI 2.0 and not getting enough bandwidth, so TV manufactures down sample the colours to reduce bandwidth over the HDMI connection, well that's my understanding anyway and you don't get those limitations with Display Port, also you can tell the difference in the quality of colours in 4.2.0, and there was some ghosting around the text and it seemed a bit washed out.

As for input lag it is 16ms which is perfectly fine for any game, basically there is no lag.

Here is an image of "4.4.4" it was opened in Paint and I set Windows DPI to 100% so it was a proper test, basically if you have 4k at 60hz over HDMI 2.0 on some TV's you will get "4.2.0" the last 2 lines are unreadable they will be all garbled.

Click Images to get a better idea what it is.

4.4.4


4.2.0


If you from UK I would totally get this TV for gaming, and get the adaptor and a good HDMI 2.0 cable of ebay for about £8.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the explanation about that 4.4.4 thing! I've got a display port output on my 290X, so that shouldn't be a problem
smile.gif
But you said the response time was 16ms. I really doubt the input lag is also 16ms. Are you sure you're talking about the input lag? I've tried looking up that screen a few times and I just can't find anything on that.. Cheers dude.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET900 View Post

Thanks for the explanation about that 4.4.4 thing! I've got a display port output on my 290X, so that shouldn't be a problem
smile.gif
But you said the response time was 16ms. I really doubt the input lag is also 16ms. Are you sure you're talking about the input lag? I've tried looking up that screen a few times and I just can't find anything on that.. Cheers dude.
Well as I see it that is response time which is how long it takes to render the information from the graphics card which I guess is input lag, it says 6ms on the Philips website but I got 16ms with or without the adapter, maybe I am wrong about this, put it this way when you move the mouse there is 0 delay it's pretty much 1 to 1 in movement, this is perfect for games like Counter Strike and COD, I have been playing Dark Souls 3 on this and it's awesome, if a game would suffer from input lag it would be Dark Souls and I have zero problems.

EDIT: After reading up on it I see they are 2 different things, all I can say is the Input lag is not noticeable, the actions you do with Mouse or Joypad are fine at 60fps(60hz).
Quote:
Using common 60 Hz monitor as an example, the maximum theoretical frame rate is 60 FPS (frames per second), which means the minimum theoretical input lag for the overall system is 17 ms. Theoretical maximum FPS is usually limited by the video monitor, since the game cannot display more frames per second than the monitor's refresh rate (with exception of turning vertical sync (v-sync) off which in turn causes graphical artifacts). In situations where the CPU and/or GPU load is high, FPS can drop below the monitors refresh rate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool. A bit of experience without numbers is still useful feedback
smile.gif
Thanks. I think I'm gonna try and message Philips to see what they say anyway..

I asked Vizio about the input lag times of their Tv's which were $600 or under on their website (which is 5 models). They came back and said that the response time of the M43-C1 & D50u-D1 is 8ms. When I told them that I was after input lag numbers rather than response time, they told me they didn't have that info, which pretty much confirms the input lag sucks on those models. Or at least that's what I'm gonna assume unless I see anything that shows otherwise
tongue.gif


The search continues..

Edit: Well, I've been searching more tonight, and I'm steered back towards Vizio tv's again. Turns out that some of their screens have very low input lag. Some M series models apparently have input lag around 18ms, and even lower on some of the D series. Why Vizio wouldn't just tell me that is weird. Maybe it's because they haven't done any official tests. I like the sound of the M series more, but I've heard that the motion blur on them is quite bad, though I also read that it's only on the models which are above 49", and that the smaller screens in the M series are actually really good.

I'm watching some reviews now to see what people think. The M43-C1 looks like it might be the one to get, if the motion blur is ok. It doesn't do the Chroma 4:4:4 thing at 4k/60hz though. But it does do 4k @60hz. Hopefully text would still look alright like that. I'll update the thread when I've got more info, and also when I hear back from Philips about that other tv
smile.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Philips don't know the input lag on any of their screens apparently. I can see this being a thing. It's probably not even worth asking in most cases. I'll have to rely on rtings and whatever other websites I can find that do tests. Looks like you can't buy Vizio tv's in the uk either
frown.gif
Shame, cos I was pretty much decided on a Vizio tv.

I'll just keep searching then..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
893 Posts
http://www.overclock.net/t/1583100/new-4k-tv
Korruptedkaos and I use the philips 7000 slim series tv. I dont know the input lag since i never got to properly test it out. For mmorpgs, movies and browsing its perfect but for first person shooters not so much. I could try to test it out when i get home tonight using that stopwatch tool thingy alongside my Acer Predator XB271HU

Though for what i paid for, 499 USD it was a steal for 4k (60hz) and 49 inch. It beats my old 39 inch seiki out of the water.

I now pretty much use it as my primary monitor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiros View Post

http://www.overclock.net/t/1583100/new-4k-tv
Korruptedkaos and I use the philips 7000 slim series tv. I dont know the input lag since i never got to properly test it out. For mmorpgs, movies and browsing its perfect but for first person shooters not so much. I could try to test it out when i get home tonight using that stopwatch tool thingy alongside my Acer Predator XB271HU

Though for what i paid for, 499 USD it was a steal for 4k (60hz) and 49 inch. It beats my old 39 inch seiki out of the water.

I now pretty much use it as my primary monitor.
I'll look through that thread now, thanks. That would be amazing if you could do that test
smile.gif
Thanks dude.

Edit: I'm also considering the Samsung JU6400. Seems to be a good choice if this website is anything to go by: http://uk.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-price/under-500/best I have no idea how legit they are though.. I also wanted to avoid buying Samsung seeing as they use their tv's to spy on people. I won't have the thing connected to the net, so I guess I'd probably avoid that. Still, I prefer not to send any money to companies that spy on users. I'm going to try and decide this weekend, so any more advice you guys can give would be good before I do. Thanks
smile.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
893 Posts
I tested two mode, PC and TV mode.



20160506_230133_zpsgb3nsmfp.jpg~original


So yeah I guess its roughly 100ms?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Kiros. I really appreciate you doing that
smile.gif
It looks to be about 100ms yeh. I suppose that might be a little much for gaming, as I do like my first person shooters. At least I know now anyway. Thanks again, bud.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top