Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well my psu doesnt have a 6pin connector for another card 3850. would it be safe to use a converter? technician says its dangerous, sure it will work but chances of it dying due to low wattage could take its toll.

ive got a 500W psu and its been pretty reliable, duno how reliable with a dedicated gpu since ive been using 4670s which doesnt require a seperate power.

please let me know, ive only got 30mins to decide. xD

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
Since its generic I wouldnt trust it, but most name-brand 500W PSUs are safe for dual 3850s.

I use 4pin-6pin PCI-E Connectors for GTX 260 Core216 Superclocked SLI and its no issue.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've got a converter to my 4870... been running it like that since i have had it, which is when they first came out, no problems so far. Do it

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks im in the store right now and they got wifi, based on your pro answers i might as well get it in a bit, thanks for quick replies,
+rep to both of you, ima buy it in a few minutes but i want more feedback, +rep for quick answers coz i dont have freebies

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
Just realize that the issue would be with your "generic" PSU if you experience shutdowns during load

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Dude, you're getting a PSU!
Seriously, do yourself a favor and upgrade the PSU to a high quality single rail model from a trusted brand. Just be sure to get one with 2 6-pin connectors, although running a molex to 6-pin adapter will work just fine.

• Rep+
Reactions: lokster

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its not like a no name zero china brand PSU, lol i forgot the name and it looks pretty solid. i mean ive never had power issues with it

adding also, is it really worth buying a new PSU for a new card? man im really lower on cash and jobless right now, lol. +rep spaceballsrules

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.