Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say I have a devious plan to get CMZ32GX3M4X1866C10
devil.gif

http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-32gb-quad-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz32gx3m4x1866c10.html

I don't start this thread for stuff like: you don't need that much etc etc

My question is:

Will it work on my mobo (I know it can handle it from the specs on the ASUS site) but will it stress the IMC too much... (I'm not planning to overclock them anyway)

Will my system be as stable as it is now? It will not be slower huh???

Because in my previous setup with an Q9450 on a 780i mobo, I put 2x 2GB Domi's once and after a while I put 2x 2GB more.

After that it even felt slower... Well at least not faster (and I don't mean adding more GB's equal more speed
wink.gif
but opening programs etc)

EDIT: and this just popped into my brain as well: If I take away one stick (so 3 remains) will it work on a triple channel mobo? I do think so, but I don't know for sure
wink.gif
It's not that the QUAD channel is build so that it internally knows/needs a quad channel mobo?

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSfreak View Post

EDIT: and this just popped into my brain as well: If I take away one stick (so 3 remains) will it work on a triple channel mobo? I do think so, but I don't know for sure
wink.gif
It's not that the QUAD channel is build so that it internally knows/needs a quad channel mobo?
The answer to this is yes. Ram is ram, it has no 'set' amount of channels.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

The answer to this is yes. Ram is ram, it has no 'set' amount of channels.
I wish my native language was English
tongue.gif
That would make my sentences a lot shorter
tongue.gif
and a lot less thinking on howto write it down
tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
7,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSfreak View Post

Let's say I have a devious plan to get CMZ32GX3M4X1866C10
devil.gif

http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-32gb-quad-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz32gx3m4x1866c10.html

wink.gif
If you are talking about ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (B3), it will remain in Two-Channel configurations.

For more details, have a look here; Desktop Boards - Single, dual, triple, and flex memory modes - Intel

For Tri-Channel X58 board, you can use 4 DIMMs and they are still Tri-Channel configurations.

DDR3 TRI DUAL CHANNEL.JPG

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx Ken, but the Dual/Triple/Quad Channel stuff I understand
wink.gif

In my mobo it will still be Dual, the Quad would be for the X79's
wink.gif
etc

But I was just wondering... (about what Shrak explained to me)

Good link you posted though, it's easy explained there
wink.gif

Never heard of the FLEX setup though...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts