Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well got my sticks today. Just started testing so far pretty good. I ordered the plain version as I have really no neeed for led's with my case but I got the tracers anyways. Oh wellatleast its the same stuff.

Right now I am messing with 4 sticks with vista 64. Not sure if I even have it all enabled as I am not sure what I need to change if anything to run 4 sticks.

Went straight for the gold 500x8 cpu and tried which would give me a 1200mhz on the ram on the second divider (5/6 I think) but it wasnt stable at 2.175vdimm. I tried 5-5-5- and 6-6-6- but it would load but eventually crash. Guess Ill need more voltage for that one. Kind of wanted to stay at a little lower voltage with these guys so they will last me a while.

Right now running at 500fsb 1:1 5-5-5- with 2.20 set in bios. I guess this is ok for 4 sticks of ram.

·
Premium Member
10,440 Posts
What are the difference between the Orange and Black Ballistixs?

And I thought Memtest was only able to use during boot up?

Well, congrats!

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Just ordered myself some Ballistix as well. Debating if I should stay at 2GB or move up to 3GB (another 1GB kit for $30) or 4GB. Can't wait to get my build started though.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ignite
View Post

Just ordered myself some Ballistix as well. Debating if I should stay at 2GB or move up to 3GB (another 1GB kit for $30) or 4GB. Can't wait to get my build started though.

The more sticks of RAM you have, the looser your timings are going to be. Generally.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Hey Max, glad you got your ram in!

I got through SuperPi at stock. 5-5-5-15 @ 2.0v instead of 2.1v on all four gigs. So I'm wondering if it's voltage or timings doing you in for 1200 on all four gigs?

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AKAeric
View Post

The more sticks of RAM you have, the looser your timings are going to be. Generally.

O really? Even if using the same exact model (will all be Ballistix CAS4). If so, guess I might as well stick to 2GB for the time being then, until I really would need to take the jump to 4GB.

·
Overclocking
9,250 Posts
Why 4GB, I would of used 2GB's unless I'm hosting some XXX video site (Yes the movie XXX) not the other thing that most of you OCN users do

·
Premium Member
7,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well for one because I can. Na really because vista was using a ton of my resources and while playing alot of games it was harder to do things in the background then with XP so while I bought these I figured why not get 4 since the prices are pretty good (not as good as the other deal a while ago).

True I may not use them for a while but besides upgrading to a quadcore and doing a stepup on my vidcard in a couple of months I want this rig to last me a bit.

On to the ram I am still playing with it, running it at 500mhz 1:1 with 4-4-4-9 and 2.15v (all 4 sticks). Gonna have to do some tweaking later on and get some faster speeds out of it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Isnt it better to use 2x2 instead of 4x1 for ocing in general? I thought that 4x1 would put alot of strain on the memory controler and create alot of extra heat and would require more V.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shepherd
View Post

Isnt it better to use 2x2 instead of 4x1 for ocing in general? I thought that 4x1 would put alot of strain on the memory controler and create alot of extra heat and would require more V.

Might require more voltage (whether its significant or not is arguable)
But it WILL require higher timings :\\ - (which is why 2 x 1GB is better for Ocing)..
(not that Intel CPUs are great fans of timing (i,e not very dependent on them because of the type of controllers the chips use.)

What are the OPTIMAL timings you think you can achieve will all 4 friend?

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Not necessarily true. The Mushkin 2 x 2gb kit I'm trying to get has similar timings to these Ballistix. Of course, that costs a LOT more money.

·
Registered
222 Posts
sweet! thats the exact same ram i have. same amount too
i actually have 2x1gb extra sticks of normal ballistix (orange ones) as well, but they just chillin in a box, cuz i dont use em..

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
My god that is a crazy rig...4ghz..wow...veryyy nice sir! Looks awesome, 1gb must be nice

·
Premium Member
7,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim
View Post

Might require more voltage (whether its significant or not is arguable)
But it WILL require higher timings :\\ - (which is why 2 x 1GB is better for Ocing)..
(not that Intel CPUs are great fans of timing (i,e not very dependent on them because of the type of controllers the chips use.)

What are the OPTIMAL timings you think you can achieve will all 4 friend?

It seems with all four sticks running I get the best benches (everst/super pi/sandra) when I am at 500fsb 1:1 with 4-4-4-9 timings and thats with 2.15vdimm. They dont go as high as with just 2 gigs in there. If I drop down to a 9 multi and run the same 4ghz 445x9 and run the ram faster say 539mhz with 5-4-4-9 I actually get worse scores then running 500fsb with 1:1.

Now with 2 sticks I get far better running looser timings and doing say 600mhz on the ram with 5-5-5-13 timings. So with the 2 sticks a 500 fsb and 600mhz ram is the best, with 4 sticks 500fsb with 500mhz and tight timings is the best.
I cant seem to get the ram stable without upping the vdimm for 4 gigs at 600mhz. I could do it with 5-5-5-13 but I need more then 2.2vdimm which I dont want to run right now. Dont feel like rmaing my ram in the first couple of weeks.

I think with all four I owuld need 2.3 tio run 600mhz 5-5-5- or so. I may get it up and going when I get some better heatspreaders on them since with four you get alot more heat build up on these guys.

Still some aewsome ram and I am having a good time so far. High fsb and high ram speed is the best, timing smatter some say in super pi and a few other performance benches but these intel dont care as much for timings.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts