Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Corsair Dominator Platinum

Votes: 3 75.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I will build a new Gaming PC with an Asus Rampage IV Black Edition and Intel Core i7-4930k.

Questions:

1) I want 8-16GB of RAM for Gaming, how much is enough?
2) What is better? 2x8GB Dual Channel or 4x4GB Quad Channel?
3) Will two 2x4GB kits work in Quad Channel?
4) Which one is better? Corsair Vengeance Pro CL9 1866Mhz or Corsair Dominator Platinum CL9 1866Mhz?

I mean better in performance, no power consumption.

I also want to overclock this PC.

Thanks!

·
Network Enthusiast
4,793 Posts
8GB Is enough
4X4 Would be better
No
They are the same.

·
Premium Member
8,165 Posts
1) 8 GB is the sweet spot if the most demanding thing you will be doing is playing games. As you can run quad channel though, I would advise 4 x 4 GB sticks.
2) 4 x 4 GB quad channel.
3) No, only dual channel.
4) The Vengeance Pro is way better value, Dominator Platinum is just overpriced. I recommend you take a look at other brands though, you may find some better deals.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the answer, but why does 4x4 is better? Will not cause more "stress" to the MC? And, will this be faster?

·
Premium Member
8,165 Posts
There is a small performance gain if you run in quad channel mode but you will only really notice it in benchmarks and programs that can actually take advantage of it, which aren't many... gaming not included. So feel free to just go with 8 GB if you want.

My OCD would kick in if I only had two sticks in a quad channel board though.
tongue.gif

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks! At what speed do you recommend to overclock that i7? I will be using Corsair H110 cooler with fans at max speed.

I want to overclock it @5Ghz but idk if it's ok.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Dom Plats are way overpriced. I bought them because, at the time, the set I purchased (2666mhz c10) was supposedly binned and have Samsung ICs. I'm not sure about the current models though. You would be better off staying away from dom plats.

I've heard nothing but good things about the G. Skill memory. Might want to check what they have to offer. They are a great deal cheaper than the Corsair memory but most everything is.

If you're going with a x79 setup, you might as well be running quad channel. Go with a quad kit.
thumb.gif

·
Graphics Junkie
3,266 Posts
I'm nectro-ing this thread because I have a similar question, sort of. I have a 3770K and I'm thinking about swapping to an E5-1650 as it is unlocked and can be overclocked. Doing so would give me 2 more cores and quad channel memory. I know when this thread was made, memory speeds were never really an issue for gaming. Now I am wonder if upgrading to a quad channel platform with DDR3 would be similar to upgrading to dual channel DDR4, or if it would be pointless.

Currently I have a 3770K @4.2ghz with 16GB DDR3 2133mhz ram

Thinking about switching to an X79 motherboard with the e5-1650 6 core CPU, should be able to hit at least 4.2ghz and use quad channel memory. The CPU and motherboard would cost me about $250. Any point in doing this?

In other words, would going from DDR3 dual channel to DDR3 quad channel be similar to upgrading to a DDR4 platform?

·
Graphics Junkie
3,266 Posts
Bump

1 - 9 of 9 Posts