Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok earlier i only had 2x512 of ram. recently i purchased two more sticks and just put em in, i didnt do anything else, just put em in. is that all i have to do? whats with the t1 t2 stuff? My computer detected 2 gigs of ram, so is that all i need to do?

also whats the downfall of haveing 4 sticks of 512 rather than 2 stick of 1gb?

·
Banned
5,844 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chucker

Ok earlier i only had 2x512 of ram. recently i purchased two more sticks and just put em in, i didnt do anything else, just put em in. is that all i have to do? whats with the t1 t2 stuff? My computer detected 2 gigs of ram, so is that all i need to do?

also whats the downfall of haveing 4 sticks of 512 rather than 2 stick of 1gb?

stress on the mem controller its better for 2x1gb

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what do u mean? i always thought 4x512 is worse. what u mean stress on the mem controller?

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
I asked this very same question about a month ago...the overall response was that 2 one gigs were better than 4 512's.

Though from what I have seen and read, smaller sticks can get tighter timings, even if they are cheap, but there is no way that four sticks can run at 1T...no matter what brand it is.

Two 1 gig sticks can ussually run in 1T and depending on how much you paid for them, may be able to have tighter timings on them too.

For the original poster...I would only check to see if you are running in dual channel or not. You want dual channel. Make sure your "Command Rate" is 2T or auto.

·
Registered
169 Posts
hey chucker, i have the exact same specs as you and was about to upgrade to 2gb, but i only have 2x512 and was planning on just getting 2 more sticks for 4x512.

how does your system compare now with the extra 2 sticks?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its really good, 2 gigs ive noticed a pretty good difference, especially load times and minimizing stuff, no more of the giant lag when trying to exit a heavy games. just overall very good. its helping in a lot of different areas too

·
Registered
169 Posts
yea, i think im just gonna go the easy route and get 2 more sticks of corsair 512 value ram. the 1st 2 i got have worked pretty good, and i dont oc anything(mainly bc i dont know enough about it to do any good).

btw, did you have to change any bios settings after adding the extra sticks? or did it automatically run at 2T?

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts
Ok, so we know that it puts stress on the memory controller. Is that bad? Does it slow the cpu down? Im thinking about buying another gig of that XMS good stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.