Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying a 5.1 headset in a few days, but I'd like some suggestions.

Up to now I've considered 3, that are the Medusa 5.1 ProGamer, TurtleBeach Earforce HPA and the Razer Barracuda HP-1.
From what I've read, the Barracudas aren't that great with the $120 price tag, just somewhat stylish. The TurtleBeach seem to be just as good at around half the price, but a friend of mine that has owned it and the Medusa headset, highly recommended the Medusa, mainly due to better positional audio and comfort.
I'll probably get the Medusa, unless someone recommends something better, or gives a good reason not to. I'm specifically looking for a 5.1 headset, so please don't post anything else.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I've been told by audiophiles to never consider a 5.1 headset because they're all garbage, and if anyone knows anything about sound, it's the audiophiles

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe, but it's mainly for gaming...

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I hear LTBs are something to talk about. Try looking into their brand for 5.1 surround headphones. They've got models for every price range, so enjoy what you can afford.

·
Premium Member
4,325 Posts
Tritton makes the absolute best headset out in my opinion.

http://www.trittonusa.com/products/TRIGA600.html

It comes with a digital decoder so the sound you are getting is a true digital output. It has two inputs, optical and coax (most modern soundcards, X-Fi specifically that I'm aware of have a COAX digital ouput). The positioning in games and movies is top notch. The headset supports a rumble feature for the bass representation, which can be adjusted to your liking via inline controls on the headset cord.

The only downfalls are that they are a bit bulky (it doesn't bother me too much anymore since I've gotten used to them) and the price ($130USD). If you can swing both, you won't find a better pair of headsets that support a digital output. In fact, I don't think you'll find any other pair of digital headsets.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DataX

I'm buying a 5.1 headset in a few days, but I'd like some suggestions.

Up to now I've considered 3, that are the Medusa 5.1 ProGamer, TurtleBeach Earforce HPA and the Razer Barracuda HP-1.
From what I've read, the Barracudas aren't that great with the $120 price tag, just somewhat stylish. The TurtleBeach seem to be just as good at around half the price, but a friend of mine that has owned it and the Medusa headset, highly recommended the Medusa, mainly due to better positional audio and comfort.
I'll probably get the Medusa, unless someone recommends something better, or gives a good reason not to. I'm specifically looking for a 5.1 headset, so please don't post anything else.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Despite your wishes, i'm going to make a recommendation that you've specifically asked not to receive
I think you'd be much happier with a Creative X-Fi and a nice pair of 2channel headphones. The X-Fi will be able to decode things that no surround headphone processing can, such as advanced positioning and sound environments. It'll also take some processing chores away from your cpu, which will help performance. If you look for an X-Fi sale and get a decent price on the 2 channel headphones, that gets my vote by a landslide. I think you'd be much happier with the final sound quality, whether it's for gaming or audio/video listening.

• Rep+
Reactions: DataX

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by sccr64472

Despite your wishes, i'm going to make a recommendation that you've specifically asked not to receive
I think you'd be much happier with a Creative X-Fi and a nice pair of 2channel headphones. The X-Fi will be able to decode things that no surround headphone processing can, such as advanced positioning and sound environments. It'll also take some processing chores away from your cpu, which will help performance. If you look for an X-Fi sale and get a decent price on the 2 channel headphones, that gets my vote by a landslide. I think you'd be much happier with the final sound quality, whether it's for gaming or audio/video listening.

True, but I HAVE to get rid of my current headset.. damn POS is killing my ears..
An X-Fi is defiantly on my upgrade list, but for now I'm going for the headset.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
You would be much happier w/ a new sound card and a headset. an audiophile pair of cans will work with your onboard sound (won't be the best but hey...) but then neither will any 5.1 headset you buy. And if you buy one of the USB headsets so they actually work well before you get your x-fi then you'll shoot yourself in the foot for wanting an x-fi because the USB sound card would totally bypass your nice new x-fi

thus you have 4 options.

1. get a 5.1 headset now and then when you get an x-fi it'll sound better
2. get a usb 5.1 headset now, it'll be better, but not as good as a 5.1 w/ an x-fi or some good cans
3. get some good cans now and save up for your x-fi
4. save up your money and get both together

number 4 would ultimately be the best, but #3 would be good as well.

for the price of the medusas you could get either some Senn HD555's and a clip on mic or some Audio Technia ATH A500's and a clip on mic. If you found a good deal you might even be able to get some Senn HD595's or ATH A700's

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
I have used the Medusa, but not the Gamer's edition- I have an older one, probably same components, different shell. It crackles a lot when I'm using it from day to day, which is highly annoying.

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
I recommend what Soloz2 said. Don't get a pair of surround sound headphones, anything that cheap isn't worth it. Sony has a pair, but they are up there in the hundreds maybe a thousand.

Get a nice/decent pair of SENN's they are the best for gaming and for music. And I hear they are very durable. Use your onboard for right now and save up for a X-FI.

Also you can find X-FI on ebay cheap from creative's ebay listing. Their returns im guessing. Or wait for a great deal from a website.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the recommendations, but as I said in my first post, I'm buying a 5.1 headset, no doubt about it. I just wanted to know if there was anything else to consider other than the 3 I posted.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I've got both the Turtle Beach EarForce HPA and the Medusa (Mine was branded as an 'EXSOUND Shark 5.1 Headset' but's the exact same thing, electronically & aesthetically). The Medusa is more comfortable, as it has thicker foam surrounds on the earphone housings. The Turtle Beach's sound quite a bit better to my ears, and have better clarity. The only bad thing I can say is that the Medusa/EXSOUND headset is that the proprietary plugs it uses to attach the headset to the small box (the one that houses the on/off functions and in turn connects to the USB cable) is touchy. If the cable is hanging the wrong way, you get intermittent connectivity... Medusa may have addressed that issue in their version, though.

You're sort of comparing apples to oranges here, though. The Medusa is a stand-alone USB headset vs. the Turtle Beach using your surround sound capable soundcard. On my Audigy 4 and X-Fi cards, the EarForce HPA's blow the USB set away. Onboard sound might not.

As far as positional audio goes, I'd hav eto go with my Turtle Beach's, but again, that may be due to the soundcard itself.

For my money, I'd go with the Turtle Beach headset & a good soundcard. If the padding in the EarForce HPA's are inadequate, it's not difficult to add some foam padding under them, or to replace them with more comfortable ones.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
erm... The Medusa isn't usb, it just uses a usb plug to power the amp, same with the Barracuda.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
i love my medusa's. . .wish they had a lil more bass but they are amazing in CS:S and other surround sound games. . .i have the gaming edition . .

They are VERY comfortable as well . . but be warned that they are not nearly as good for music as they are for games

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Quote:

erm... The Medusa isn't usb, it just uses a usb plug to power the amp, same with the Barracuda.
I see what you mean. The actual headset itself appears to be identical, but as you stated, it runs off the soundcard. Knowing that, I'd still have to go with the Turtle Beach's. I should also say I like the mic on the EarForce HPA's better. I've done a little A/B testing on Teamspeak with them, and I've been told the mic on the Turtle Beach headset sounds truer to my voice (this from people who personally know me, and not just by those who have never heard me face to face).

The headset that Medusa and EXSOUND use must be rather popular (or at least cheap to produce), as I've seen a couple different brands use that exact same set now.

• Rep+
Reactions: DataX

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for the recommendations, but as I said in my first post, I'm buying a 5.1 headset, no doubt about it. I just wanted to know if there was anything else to consider other than the 3 I posted.

yeah... you should consider not getting a 5.1 headset!

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2
Well Soloz we tried to tell him not to, what he does is his own thing. We can only make suggestion on what the best route would be And what would yield the best results.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2
5.1's are great . . .for gaming. . .i myself have an audio pair and a gaming pair . . maybye hes doing the same thing. . . i still say go w/ the medusa's

and if you travela lot i suggest the mobiles as they are usb and can go w/ a lappy . . great for plane/long car trips to watch movies

1 - 20 of 20 Posts