Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I currently have my PC audio routed through a Creative USB sound card via the 3x minijacks into the 5.1 phono inputs on my Yamaha AV reciever. This basically works for everything and I get 5.1 for everything from games/movies/music etc. It sounds 'fine'/'great' (I'm not an audiophile as such, lol).

I'm now moving my PC into an enviroment where I'll need a long cable run to get the PC's video/audio to the TV/recieved (possibly 7.5m if we elect to make the cables tidy/out of sight!).

I'm trying to find out if I can simply run a 2nd HDMI cable from my Titan XP (2016) to get 5.1 from games?

I understand I can just bitstream any video files with a DD/DTS/whatever soundtrack through the HDMI to the reciever, but I can't find much information on games.

Some people say it will work fine, some people say you'll only get PCM stereo unless the game supports some kind of DD/DTS/Whatever output. The last time I tried this, I only got stereo in games.

Have things changed recently in the last few years? Should connecting a 2nd HDMI cable to my video card allow it to pass 5.1 audio through for games or if I want an easy life should I just buy 3x decent long-ass minijack->phono cables and just stick with what I have now?

Hope this all makes sense. Thanks so much!

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,431 Posts
Yes it will work fine natively. It's better than your sound card setup even, as you will be sending uncompressed 5.1 signal and use the A/V receiver's DAC. You just have to make sure the A/V receiver is enabled as a 2nd monitor, then you can select it as an audio device. This is how I play most of my games.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it will work fine natively. It's better than your sound card setup even, as you will be sending uncompressed 5.1 signal and use the A/V receiver's DAC. You just have to make sure the A/V receiver is enabled as a 2nd monitor, then you can select it as an audio device. This is how I play most of my games.
Thanks for the reply! I actually plugged things in the other day and things worked right away! Didn't even need to sacrifice a single chicken! Kind of shocked! :O

Have a great day!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I actually plugged things in the other day and things worked right away! Didn't even need to sacrifice a single chicken! Kind of shocked! :O
Where do you plug your monitor then? To the gpu?

I'm wondering if this will work: DP to monitor, HDMI to avr just for the 7.1 audio.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts