Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I have posted a thread like a week ago that i have problem getting a 5.1 output.

Basically my speakers are logitech z-5500 and are connected to my motherboard via coax cable .

No matter what i do i cant get the center speaker to work

And in my realtec audio manager it is set to 6 channel.. still no good.
Only stereo and stereo x2 work .. ( all other setting dont )

How do i make this work?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Have you tried with a toslink cable (optical)? I just have a plain digital home theater system for my computer running on toslink and it works in 5.1. Just a thought.

·
Registered
757 Posts
you cannot get 5.1 output via digital optical/coax, it only outputs stereo. The only way to get 5.1 out of digital is to encode the signal into AC3/DTS/DDL. For music and videos you can download AC3Filter and use it to encode your audio streams into ac3. Theres not much you can do regarding games that support 5.1, unless you buy a dts converter.

5.1 is only supported on analog channels.

edit: actually i just remembered, set your z-5500 to pro logic, it'll convert stereo to 5.1

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Han View Post
you cannot get 5.1 output via digital optical/coax, it only outputs stereo. The only way to get 5.1 out of digital is to encode the signal into AC3/DTS/DDL. For music and videos you can download AC3Filter and use it to encode your audio streams into ac3. Theres not much you can do regarding games that support 5.1, unless you buy a dts converter.

5.1 is only supported on analog channels.

edit: actually i just remembered, set your z-5500 to pro logic, it'll convert stereo to 5.1

He is correct, unless your onboard sound supports "Dolby Live" or "DTS Connect" then the only 5.1 content you'll get through your digital outs is pre-encoded material (i.e. DVD's, Video Files with AC3 or DTS Audio etc). Since games and such are not pre-encoded Dolby or DTS you'll only get stereo output out of the digital out.

You'll need to run the traditional 6channel analog cables in order to enjoy 5.1 audio from your games and such.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyFr View Post
He is correct, unless your onboard sound supports "Dolby Live" or "DTS Connect" then the only 5.1 content you'll get through your digital outs is pre-encoded material (i.e. DVD's, Video Files with AC3 or DTS Audio etc). Since games and such are not pre-encoded Dolby or DTS you'll only get stereo output out of the digital out.

You'll need to run the traditional 6channel analog cables in order to enjoy 5.1 audio from your games and such.

Yes i tried 6 channel analog too , but it just doesnt work.. in 5.1 .. i get the same sound like in coax.. Actually i upgraded it to coax bcoz i thought that it would make it work.

like i said i dont get any dolby dts sound whatsoever .. in analog too... i dont even get the 6 channel direct sound. Just the stereo and x2 works

I have sound blaster live lying around somewhere... should i check if 5.1 sound will work with that?

·
Registered
757 Posts
1. i am not sure about this but see if you can set your z5500 to pro logic, it will convert 2 channel to 6

2. download ac3filter, you can enable center channel and encode music and video to ac3

3. do the speaker test in the realtek control panel, if you can hear center and rear then theres no problem with your setup, just use your codec to ouput 5.1

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
One other thing to check is as follows

Start<Control Panel<Sounds and Audio Devices

Find the "Speakers Settings" box at the bottom of the first tab
Click "Advanced"
in the "Speaker Setup" drop down make sure that 6 channel or 5.1 is selected
Click apply
Click Ok

·
Registered
226 Posts
Sorry, just getting caught up. So the trouble is you can't get sound out of the center speaker to work regardless of the input? Do you have any diagnostic software that will just play sound through the center channel?

You can set the Z-5500s to ProLogic Music and ProLogic Movie by hitting "effect", though this might only be an option when using the direct (analog) input.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah yes it shows up as PLII Movie or the other one Music .. They both dont work . I switched to analog now .. still sound output only in stereo and x2 effect.

If ur talking about a diagnostic tool .. there is this audio check in realtec audio manager and 5.1 speakers are shown. By clicking on each speaker sound should come out .. sound only comes out when i click on the front speakers.

I came to conclusion that only 2 channels work.. and since it is set to stereo x2 the sound from front speakers is duplicated to the rear speakers (this however doesn't mean that 4 channels work.)

so how do i make all my 6 channels work now.. ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts