Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Lately i changed my motherboard as it broke, and now when i connect it to the sound card it recognizes the rear speakers as side causing the rear speakers not to work. I have it at 7.1 setting without the side now, but will this cause sound loss when playing games?
Did i have it wrong all this time, or it is a problem with the sound card?

(Cables are connected properly)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tasospaok123 View Post
Hello everyone. Lately i changed my motherboard as it broke, and now when i connect it to the sound card it recognizes the rear speakers as side causing the rear speakers not to work. I have it at 7.1 setting without the side now, but will this cause sound loss when playing games?
Did i have it wrong all this time, or it is a problem with the sound card?

(Cables are connected properly)
Are you using the onboard or a sound card?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,349 Posts
I would change it to the 5.1 setting if you can't use the extra speakers ATM, and connect the rear ones. Otherwise, you may "miss" sound that should be coming from the missing speakers. Not 100% sure, but that's what I'd think.

-edit- I think I may have misunderstood your question, sorry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:


Originally Posted by RacWisco
View Post

Are you using the onboard or a sound card?

Yes the Onboard.

Quote:


Originally Posted by Choggs396
View Post

I would change it to the 5.1 setting if you can't use the extra speakers ATM, and connect the rear ones. Otherwise, you may "miss" sound that should be coming from the missing speakers. Not 100% sure, but that's what I'd think.

-edit- I think I may have misunderstood your question, sorry.


If i understood your answer correctly, you are telling to make the rear speakers work as side?
Because that sounds like the best option...
 

·
Blue and Green Team!
Joined
·
10,736 Posts
If you are using 5.1 speakers and the output is set to 7.1 then then audio is going to be split over 7.1 channels rather than 5.1. So therefore yes, you will only be hearing 5 of the 7 channels.

You should set output to 5.1 and use the front, rear and centre/sub outputs if on analogue or the SPDIF output.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,349 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by tasospaok123
View Post

If i understood your answer correctly, you are telling to make the rear speakers work as side?
Because that sounds like the best option...

Or the side speakers work as rear? Or maybe that's not possible considering your problem. I think I need more sleep....

Question- have you updated your audio drivers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have updated my drivers. And the problem is not really a problem, but a question. My previous DFI motherboard's intergrated sound card at the 5.1 setting had rear speakers, and the current has side. So i don't know when using 5.1 sound system, do i have rear speakers or side?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,895 Posts
From what I gather, if you have 5.1 speakers, the two extra should be on the rear. If however you have 7.1 speakers, the two 5.1 rears should be on the sides and then there's two extra ones for the rear. I get a full surround experience with my two extra speakers set up in the rear (I have 5.2).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,253 Posts
I think his problem is that 5.1 setting DOES NOT list rear speakers as an option - it has:
Centre
Sub
Front Left
Front Right
Left Side
Right Side

There is no "left rear" and "right rear"

I think he is asking that if 5.1 is like this, will this cause problems with him not hearing "rear" sounds since they are now "side" speakers?

I also noticed this about 12 months ago - new drivers/software started calling the "rear" speakers "side" speakers in 5.1.

I'd suspect it doesn't make any difference what they call it in their software, as it is still 5.1, and the audio will still come out of the 5.1 speakers as it was designed to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by un-nefer View Post
I think his problem is that 5.1 setting DOES NOT list rear speakers as an option - it has:
Centre
Sub
Front Left
Front Right
Left Side
Right Side

There is no "left rear" and "right rear"

I think he is asking that if 5.1 is like this, will this cause problems with him not hearing "rear" sounds since they are now "side" speakers?

I also noticed this about 12 months ago - new drivers/software started calling the "rear" speakers "side" speakers in 5.1.

I'd suspect it doesn't make any difference what they call it in their software, as it is still 5.1, and the audio will still come out of the 5.1 speakers as it was designed to.
Exactly. My old drivers gave me :
Front Left
Front Right
Center
Sub
Rear Left
Rear Right

Now the two rears are two sides. So, something changed in the drivers.
So, now in the games, e.g Crysis, i will still hear what i was hearing when the rear was rear or not? Because it is a great experience when you hear the things behind in the game you, actually behind you...
This is my question. Will it affect what am i hearing?
If you think this (taking for example a game) you will say: If i had 7.1 i would hear what happened from both the side and the rear speakers. But now, Won't i be hearing only the sides, and lose the sounds from rear?
Because making the rear speakers side for me it is moving them a few meters closer to where i sit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,895 Posts
Ahh, I see, I see. No problem in my opinion. I think my Asus Xonar D1 drivers are also the same. I have no problem though - it's definitely the rear sound coming out of them!
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top