Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just built a new PC and wanted to show off the overclock I was able to pull with a non-binned i7-8700k that I pre-ordered from B&H about a month ago. Here are the reliant specs of the system:

i7-8700k
ASUS STRIX Z370-E
Fractal Celsius S36 AIO (using the pre-applied thermal paste on the unit)
2x8GB TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200MHz 16-18-18-38
SeaSonic Focus 850W Plus Gold

Here are the settings for the overclock:

Sync all cores 5.1GHz
No AVX offset
LLC Level 6
VCore Manual/1.3V
VRM Spectrum: Disabled
Speedstep: Disabled
Current limits maxed (as I really don't care how much power it uses)

The system is stable after 3 runs of Cinebench where I got an average score of ~1673 and the system remained stable after 3 hours of AIDA 64 where the temperature peaked at 82C. This is a little hot especially considering the low voltage and the air coming out of the case still felt very cool. I think this is due to me using the pre-applied thermal paste that came with the Celsius S36, and I have ordered some Arctic Silver 5 and will be applying it when it comes in.

Let me know about your overclocking success with Coffee Lake down below. I think I really won the silicon lottery with this one. Just as a little note, the system was also stable at 5GHz with 1.28v.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
Nice!

I tried almost the same settings
5Ghz
1.280v but it wont even boot into windows so maybe i should try that current to max?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
926 Posts
Congrats! Not trying to ruin the fun, but I must say that really stressful programs like OCCT and Prime95 do require a hefty bump in voltage in order to be stable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
680 Posts
Isn't the chip everyone is looking out for, the silicon lottery dream 8700k, 5.2-5.3 Ghz under 1.4v, maybe only 1% get there?. Drew6017 its your duty as a overclock member to give it a delid and come back for some epeen benches here. After a delid you could easily push it to 1.38v everyday with your cooler.
biggrin.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Challenge accepted. I got it to boot at 5.2GHz on 1.3v, but it crashed as soon as I ran Cinebench. If I do end up delidding it I'll make sure to post the results!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leethal View Post

4.8 to 5

how much more performance do you really get? is it worth the extra temps on a air cooled setup?
Off the top of my head I got a performance increase of at least 400 points over stock in Cinebench leading to a total score of ~1670 so definitely worth it.
 

·
Overclocked
Joined
·
2,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew6017 View Post

I just built a new PC and wanted to show off the overclock I was able to pull with a non-binned i7-8700k that I pre-ordered from B&H about a month ago. Here are the reliant specs of the system:

i7-8700k
ASUS STRIX Z370-E
Fractal Celsius S36 AIO (using the pre-applied thermal paste on the unit)
2x8GB TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200MHz 16-18-18-38
SeaSonic Focus 850W Plus Gold

Here are the settings for the overclock:

Sync all cores 5.1GHz
No AVX offset
LLC Level 6
VCore Manual/1.3V
VRM Spectrum: Disabled
Speedstep: Disabled
Current limits maxed (as I really don't care how much power it uses)

The system is stable after 3 runs of Cinebench where I got an average score of ~1673 and the system remained stable after 3 hours of AIDA 64 where the temperature peaked at 82C. This is a little hot especially considering the low voltage and the air coming out of the case still felt very cool. I think this is due to me using the pre-applied thermal paste that came with the Celsius S36, and I have ordered some Arctic Silver 5 and will be applying it when it comes in.

Let me know about your overclocking success with Coffee Lake down below. I think I really won the silicon lottery with this one. Just as a little note, the system was also stable at 5GHz with 1.28v.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antsu View Post

Congrats! Not trying to ruin the fun, but I must say that really stressful programs like OCCT and Prime95 do require a hefty bump in voltage in order to be stable.
AIDA64 no matter how long you run it is not stable, not even close. Cinebench R15 is a quick dirty benchmark program to give you an idea of where you are at, once again hardly stable. Run Realbench or OCCT or both maybe even Prime 95, you will most likely need to up the Vcore
smile.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
I use OCCT to catch fast memory stability issues. Its also good to quick and dirty find serious undervoltage cpus.
Prime95, if you are meaning to be 100% stable on it with AVX, it can take a hell lot of voltage. My current 7700K is running almost a year 5.0 ghz 1.34v, its realbench stable but i never manage to get prime 95 AVX stable. Since everything i need is stable, including gaming, VMs, visual studio, i dont give much attention.

As sracy said, you need really to find out if chip is really stable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by scracy View Post

AIDA64 no matter how long you run it is not stable, not even close. Cinebench R15 is a quick dirty benchmark program to give you an idea of where you are at, once again hardly stable. Run Realbench or OCCT or both maybe even Prime 95, you will most likely need to up the Vcore
smile.gif
I ran Prime95 with no issues for about 1 hour then ran RealBench https://rog.asus.com/realbench/show_comment.php?id=21909. No crashes, still seems stable. Just for anyone who may notice, yes, I don't yet have dedicated graphics. Saving money for a Strix GTX 1080Ti.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
5.1 ghz 74 degrees ( non delidded )

i set voltage to 1.4 , it jumps to 1.2 and ...1.3 its not Static , i have 5.1 Ghz
1 AIO cooler nzxt x42 :p not x62 ,
avx = 0
8gbx2 3200mhz ram ddr4 g skil RGB
case Obsidian 750D
Ton off airflow 24 hour run off prime95 = max temp i got iq 74 degrees
( all core's are sync at 5.1 ghz )
liquid temp = 34 degrees if ur wondering
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Got 5.1 ghz at 1.32 volts intel 8700k

Get intel 8700k got it at 5.1 ghz and with 1.32 volts no delid. Incredible
I am trying to run at 5.2 at 1.32 volts it is running but crashs on prime 95.
Still amazing chip
temp are around 60 - 70 Celsius because of my custom water cooled system
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top