Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I didn't really build this for the silence, but when I added my CPU to the mix. I was like huh that's pretty damn quiet. If I'm not bios or MPT level OCing my GPU my PSU fans are my loudest component. Even then I haven't really tried to to OC as quiet as I can. It's ugly right now, if I keep it like this I'll throw the tote in my closet. I have a sheet on it to keep the dust out. Almost 3 months no growth.

50 gallon tote of water $12 Walmart
40 Gallons of Distilled water $30 or so
Aquarium water pump $15 Amazon (1 year warranty)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G2DQ8SD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2x Water block $15-20 Newegg Ebay Amazon
https://www.newegg.com/p/2YM-0018-0..._re=cpu_waterblock-_-9SIA27C5C86208-_-Product
Tubing 3/8 ID $10 Home Depot 10 FT
Brass barb for the water pump $4 Home Depot
Compression fittings for the blocks $20
Alpha Cool Heat sinks 14 mm $20
Thermal glue $3 Amazon (Don't put thermal glue on your core)
Z9 Deep Cool Thermal paste $10? 3 grams Ebay
Bolts n wingnuts under 10$ Home Depot\Ace Hardware

All prices are with shipping included or few dollars within.

I'm using a CPU waterblock on my GPU and one on my cpu. You could use a quiet 120 mm fan for the memory. But I made a little cardboard blower to replicate my GPU's original design, with some heatsinks.

BUY A GPU WATER BLOCK MOUNTING A CPU WATER BLOCK ON A GPU SUCKS $17. Or you can buy a proper water block designed for your GPU.
https://www.amazon.com/Asixx-Coolin...terblock&qid=1572867467&s=pet-supplies&sr=8-3

Anyone who wants a silent computer should probably just use a thunderbolt cable like Linus Tech Tips and place your rig in a distant closet. Even a USB extension cord\long DP or HDMI cord. Use boot by pressing a keyboard key.

P.S. If you want to make mounting easy on blocks that do not match what your using, get expansion washers, like these smart people from China. My GPU stays below 48c, I had it under 40c at one point even at 2050 core 960 ram. But I cranked my mounts to much, chipped the edge of my GPU core and I'm out of good thermal paste\patience atm. My CPU stays under 55c gaming. I used some super super old maybe 10 year old thermal paste on the CPU, old cool master tube. Ambient 26c. I need to get some expansion washers and remount to OC higher with lower temps.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/G-1-4-Acry...260178?hash=item1ed678ce12:g:8zoAAOSwSutaQfrz

GPU 2030 core, 955 ram gaming stable, 5700 non xt, 1.2v, 50% max power
CPU 4.1 ghz, AMD 2600 gaming stable 1.37v

P.S.S. I bought some other stuff too, but this is what I actually use.

Attachments

· I can count to potato
1,478 Posts
This is the most hideous, ghetto rigged setup I have seen in a long time. I absolutely love it. :D

• Rep+
Reactions: treetops422

· Registered
258 Posts
$12 for 50 gallons of volume may be a good deal but those totes are notoriously crap. That thing will crack easily (I'm surprised it held the water to begin with) and you'll definitely be sad when it does.

Save your money and go to your local PetCo during one of their many dollar-per-gallon sales and get a 50 gallon tank for $50. Or a 40 gallon tank. Honestly a 20 Long will be more than enough water capacity... $20.

· Tech Enthusiast
12,390 Posts
This reminds me of the old school days of water cooling experiments and the nostalgia alone makes me love this, lol

· Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
$12 for 50 gallons of volume may be a good deal but those totes are notoriously crap. That thing will crack easily (I'm surprised it held the water to begin with) and you'll definitely be sad when it does.

Save your money and go to your local PetCo during one of their many dollar-per-gallon sales and get a 50 gallon tank for $50. Or a 40 gallon tank. Honestly a 20 Long will be more than enough water capacity... $20.
It started to crack a few weeks ago when I decided to top it off from all the water loss via evaporation. I figured out, keeping the wall on one side and that crate strapped to it with tie downs on the other side, make it pretty secure. As long as you don't let the sides sag.

Yeah I know, kinda crazy. If it drains out, my carpet will be wet for awhile but nothing important would be damaged. I'm in an apartment so meh. But yeah I would be a bit sad ^^, however I have some other totes in the closet. And I live in the desert.

My GF would probably shut down the whole operation :D, at least until the water dried.

The crates full of a bunch of old junk for weight. Cables, converters, ddr1? I anchored down the tubing most of the tubing inside the tote.

I might run a loop through the back of my toilet to flush out the heat in our extra bathroom. Straight up using tap or putting a radiator in back toilet tank and or tub. No not in the bowl, I'm not a savage. Mmm the toilet seat might actually be prewarmed.

Attachments

· Cheapest Man On Earth
657 Posts
Dat ratchet strap tho :thumb:

I too love the slapped together rigs. Leaving the distilled water open to the air will allow CO2 to dissolve and make the purpose of distilled moot. Maybe next time a $10 Brita/PUR filter?Just to fit in with the low cost. Anyway, cool setup!

· Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Dat ratchet strap tho :thumb:

I too love the slapped together rigs. Leaving the distilled water open to the air will allow CO2 to dissolve and make the purpose of distilled moot. Maybe next time a $10 Brita/PUR filter?Just to fit in with the low cost. Anyway, cool setup!
I cleaned out the blocks, added in some biocide and I am going to get a brita filter, run my water through it for at least 24 hours. Clean out the blocks one more time then add biocide again and wrap the top in kitchen wrap or some other kind of plastic sealant. I still haven't bought all that distilled ^^, been using tap.

· Hardware Princess
1,898 Posts
I cleaned out the blocks, added in some biocide and I am going to get a brita filter, run my water through it for at least 24 hours. Clean out the blocks one more time then add biocide again and wrap the top in kitchen wrap or some other kind of plastic sealant. I still haven't bought all that distilled ^^, been using tap.
Yeah definitely want biocide, large open tubs of warm water attract various growths, learned that the hard way lol

· Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah definitely want biocide, large open tubs of warm water attract various growths, learned that the hard way lol
Yeah there's no need to add another headache.

@JackCY At some point I might put radiators in a bath tub, but for some reason the extra bathroom in my apt attracts little beetles..? We called them georgie bugs growing up. They only preside in my extra bathrooms bath tub. Despite no light, no use for the most part and a drain plug. Maybe they come in through the over flow above the drain plug idk. Poor little guys get stuck in there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.