Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was a bit reluctant on starting a thread over this but that's what a community is for amirite?

Well I been out the SSD scene for quite some time now (still rocking my Samsung 830 128 GB as my main) so I've been looking to upgrade myself. To avoid the typical SSD size syndrome most of us seem to go through, I'm skipping the 200-256 GB tier and going straight for 500 GB+ models.

Is the Crucial MX100 pretty much the best price/performance && bang/buck SSD you can get at the 512 GB size nowadays? I say "nowadays" because the MX100 is about 6 months old now, and it the tech world- that's pretty much a lifetime.

Is there any other models I should look out for?
Any newer models coming to the market soon that I should play the waiting game for?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kckyle View Post

ha thats funny cause i'm skipping the 500gb size and going straight to the 1tb.

yeah that crucial or the samsung. stay away from the 840 evo, other then that go with whatever cheapest
yeah, I'm tempted to snag the fresh 850 evo but not sure I want to spend $50-$60 more.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DF is BUSY View Post

yeah, I tempted to snag the fresh 850 evo but not sure I want to spend $50-$60 more.
The 850 EVO would be a good choice, I don't know why the 840 EVO's have such a bad rap though. I know they use MLC instead of TLC, which deteriates faster, but I've written over 15TB to my 250GB 840 EVO and it's still chugging along.

The Crucial MX100's are best bang for buck AFAIK, I've been using the MX100 for all my budget SSD builds lately for my mates.

·
Old to Overclock.net
6,113 Posts
I ended up getting the 850 Pro 512gb... The new 850 Evo 500gb was selling for $249 pre-order at newegg. For $50 more I basically purchased the 10 year warranty and got better memory as a benefit. If there wasn't a 10 year warranty, I would have opted for something much cheaper.

·
Premium Member
16,458 Posts
The EVO requires the "fix" but they are good ssd. I have 2x 256 gb EVO and 2x 256 vanilla 840's

1 - 7 of 7 Posts