Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
check out the psu I just posted it is cheaper and better, should bring the price down a tad.

·
Premium Member
10,490 Posts
If you're just going to be using it in HTPC capacity, you really don't need a HD4670. I would upgrade the motherboard to a 780G based one and that would be more than sufficient for media playback. Also, the HD4670 should receive a price drop in a few weeks when the HD4750 drops which will offer HD4850 level performance for ~100.

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
In that price range it'll be hard to find a good quality modular, I would recommend steering away from that route unless your budget goes up.

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
Here's a promo code that'll knock $5 off the CPU for ya: CPU345

Two things, forget modular, it's really not worth it IMO and go with Ronin's mobo suggestion(780G). Also it may be worth waiting for RV740, at a minimum it will knock down the prices of current cards.

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sullivan
View Post

I don't think you will need a 550 watt for this system:

Get this, and its cheaper, and modular made by Antec:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817103939

2nd'd.

I ran my sig rig off of a 480watt (Hiper) until a week ago. I only upgraded because I got the new OCZ supply super cheap after MIR.

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
if it's just htpc drop the 4670, and change the mobo to this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138140

it's more than enough to hand 1080p, it's good with non-heavy gaming, good for overclocking, for a lesser cost. you can also overclock the igp by 100-200mhz. plus you'll have an extra space to add a high-end card in the future if you decide to go heavy gaming.

also, the kuma is a good processor, but not for htpc purposes coz it has a tdp rating of 95watts. so i recommend this 45w tdp one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103298

but then again, the kuma's price is just too awesome to resist. in the end, it's up to your purpose.

either processor will be a good choice

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by sLowEnd View Post
Are you certain you want to put a Kuma in an HTPC?

It runs rather hot and sucks a pretty large amount of power

I'd get a 45W Athlon instead
Okay I guess i better Clarify the build a little better. It is going to be replacing my 939 system I have right now as a "HTPC" by mainly doing media and homework and such. I want to stay with the Kuma chip as I want a kuma build and heat and power consumption is not an issue. This computer could be used to play TF2 as a dedicated medic though sometimes and maybe a little gaming. I went with the 4670 becuase its a 1gb card instead of a 4830 which is 512.

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cdpkook132 View Post
Okay I guess i better Clarify the build a little better. It is going to be replacing my 939 system I have right now as a "HTPC" by mainly doing media and homework and such. I want to stay with the Kuma chip as I want a kuma build and heat and power consumption is not an issue. This computer could be used to play TF2 as a dedicated medic though sometimes and maybe a little gaming. I went with the 4670 becuase its a 1gb card instead of a 4830 which is 512.
i see. but if that's the case, why not get a phenom 2 x3 710? are you that budget tight?

also 4670 1gb is useless since it's only 128bit. you won't notice any difference from the 512mb version. and the 4830 will easily prey on it, even for a 2gb version.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts