Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I don't know very many details about this, but it's pretty interesting. I have a friend who uses a phase change cooling system (not sure what kind) that normally runs his P4 machine at around -45C. Well a few weeks ago, he OC'd everything to the absolute maximun and his CPU is supposedly running around 50C with load now! I haven't seen the machine, but I believe him, since he's never lied to me before. But how could you possibly generate THAT much heat OCing?! He's either lying or he's running an insanely unstable machine. Supposedly he got his graphics card running at 300% stock and got somewhere around a 60-70% increase on his CPU. I find it very hard to believe, but very interesting if it's true. If it is true, I guess that's he's real close to the record for an OC with his model of CPU. Don't really know. I'll see him again in a few weeks and see if he can hook me up with some pics/screenshots.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zardokk

Now I don't know very many details about this, but it's pretty interesting. I have a friend who uses a phase change cooling system (not sure what kind) that normally runs his P4 machine at around -45C. Well a few weeks ago, he OC'd everything to the absolute maximun and his CPU is supposedly running around 50C with load now! I haven't seen the machine, but I believe him, since he's never lied to me before. But how could you possibly generate THAT much heat OCing?! He's either lying or he's running an insanely unstable machine. Supposedly he got his graphics card running at 300% stock and got somewhere around a 60-70% increase on his CPU. I find it very hard to believe, but very interesting if it's true. If it is true, I guess that's he's real close to the record for an OC with his model of CPU. Don't really know. I'll see him again in a few weeks and see if he can hook me up with some pics/screenshots.

It could be possibly true,since your friend overclocked to the maximum the video card and the cpu, but im pretty sure it's unstable.

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
maybe if he has a dual head cooler. HOWEVER. if the thing is up to 50C...then basically that takes away any positive effects the cooler had in the first place cause it ain't cold anymore. So what I'm saying is. even if it was possible, it wouldn't be stable at all.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zardokk

He's lying to you. There's no video card on the planet that can run 300% OC, not even a prime "center of the wafer" chip. The cpu OC is possible under extreme conditions, but wouldn't generate nearly enough heat to change his temps that much. Like I said, he's either confused or lying.

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by amped

Even a 70% overclock on the CPU does not generate enough heat to raise it 100c...That's impossible

i agree, there is something very wrong there.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Let me ask, how old is yoru friend and how hardcore is he willing to get? Even on a poorly tuned single stage cooler (which you'd be lucky to get idle at -45C) there's no way it can fluctuate that much. If your bud's processor is really running 50C, the cooler will overheat.

What videocard does he have? No videocard I know of can net a 300% increase in core speed.

·
Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't really know much about his components, which is another reason I'm skeptical. He's running some kind of P4 and an ATI card, I think and X800 of some sort. He said that it's so hot that if the phase goes off, the whole system melts within 30 seconds. He set the BIOS to for automatic shutdown when the phase goes out (that's the only part that I know is true). I'll ask him for some CPU-Z screens/pics of his rig. As soon as I find out if this is real or not, I'll let you know,

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
He's uh...pullin your leg big time.

Next time he starts talkin like that, just smile and nod.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Well, I don't know that much about phase but I don't think you can just set your computer to know when your phase system turns off. I mean, theres thermal shutdown but thats at like 75C. I think your friend is just exaggerating a lot. *shrug* Sucks, too, cuz he's gotta be old enough to know better. No kid can afford a phase change system.

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by killnine

Sucks, too, cuz he's gotta be old enough to know better. No kid can afford a phase change system.

*cough*adas*cough*

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Well, the VAST VAST majority cannot. I am simply trying to say that in all likelyhood this person is an adult and should know better. I dont think too many people are interested in phase change that don't know a lot about computers and if this person is bragging or just lying, thats so lame.

·
Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well he really does have a phase change system (I know that for a fact). He's only 15...maybe 16, can't remember, but his dad gives him 5k every two years to drop on a new system (I would love that kind of cash...)! His dad's every bit as big of a geek as he is, so I'm pretty sure they both have amazing rigs. As far as the OC goes...it's pretty hard to believe. Like I said, I'll wait for screenshots and pics.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
For the Phase change unit to go from -45 to 50c is possible. If the head is not properly fitted flush to the CPU or it's one of the older phase change unit's on a high temp CPU. The older unit's havent the power to dissipate the heat generated or more accurately to maintain a steady temp.

As for the GPU 300% OC...... that's just funny

1 - 16 of 16 Posts