Overclock.net banner

550 BE unlock question

605 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  raxen 
#1 ·
if on the X3 720 the 4th core is dud, it won't unlock, or won't be stable, right?

now, what if on the 550BE one of the cores is dud, but the other one is fine? will both cores unlock, or is it possible to only unlock the 3rd working core?

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikecdm
View Post

I don't think that there is on option for choosing cores. I believe that its either 4 cores or 2. When I had the chip, it just went to 4 cores. I never tried messing with the ACC options, I just left it on auto.

So are you saying your computer recognized 4 cores without you having to do anything??

If thats the case i might just go ahead and by a 550BE

#6 ·
What I meant was that I didn't try to do anything with the different options for ACC. All I did was enable ACC and then set it to auto. It's really not that hard to unlock the chip. It's just a matter of having a mb that is capable and a chip that will unlock. I was fortunate enough to have a chip that unlocked fine.

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by whitekidney View Post
Run msconfig, go to boot options and set it to 3 cores. (inside windows)
except windows doesnt know which core is good or bad so you might disable the good core while leaving the bad core active, its an all or nothing chance with unlocking

#8 ·
I'm 100% sure Biostar and Asus have a core-levelling option to disable cores for new BIOS revisions. IIRC Asus actually allows you to specify which one you want to disable, whereas Biostar only states "Allow Tri-Core" or "Allow All cores".

Msconfig is a really poor way to disable your cores IMO. It might work if the command is in place before all other processes are loaded. However, if the command is run after booting into windows, you risk corrupting your system files or random shutdowns during the boot process.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.