Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on my system specs, would it work? My PSU has a 6+2 pin and a 6 pin PCI-E power connection so...

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
ABSOLUTELY not

·
Banned
2,821 Posts
AMD recommends a 750W PSU for the 5970 but the VX550 is a very good PSU. If I were you I'd try it but NOT BEFORE I HAVE ADDED UP ALL THE POWER YOUR SYSTEM DRAWS COMBINED. That means CPU, Fans, HDD's, just about everything. Reason why? Because using a VX550 on that GPU would be cutting it VERY close.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kimosabi View Post
AMD recommends a 750W PSU for the 5970 but the VX550 is a very good PSU. If I were you I'd try it but NOT BEFORE I HAVE ADDED UP ALL THE POWER YOUR SYSTEM DRAWS COMBINED. That means CPU, Fans, HDD's, just about everything. Reason why? Because using a VX550 on that GPU would be cutting it VERY close.
That's what I thought, yeah. I only have one HDD and DVD drive. Two 120 MM fan.

·
Banned
2,821 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by solidsteel144 View Post
That's what I thought, yeah. I only have one HDD and DVD drive. Two 120 MM fan.
Dude, I meant really get into specs and how much every little component draws and add it up.

My recommendation is still no, though. Your PSU is 200W below what AMD recommends. Note that I said "If I were you...".

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kimosabi View Post
Dude, I meant really get into specs and how much every little component draws and add it up.

My recommendation is still no, though. Your PSU is 200W below what AMD recommends. Note that I said "If I were you...".

Worst case scenario what would happen?

·
Premium Member
8,479 Posts
http://www.techspot.com/review/221-a...70/page15.html

Your PSU has 41A/492W on the 12V rail.

Don't do it.

Although I know that all the load isn't going to be on the 12V rail, you shouldn't try it, in my opinion.

The worst that can happen is your power supply dies, and takes several components to the grave with it. That shouldn't happen with this power supply, it should just shut down, but I don't think you should try it.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It could really take out the PSU?! I thought like you mentioned it would just shut off as if nothing happened.

·
Banned
2,821 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by solidsteel144 View Post
Worst case scenario what would happen?
Worst case scenario = PSU at the limit thus producing serious ripple and/or shutdown thereby frying your motherboard among other things.

Best case scenario = PSU shuts down.

If you wanna risk frying your system go ahead. Dude, go for a TX/HX750 or a TX/HX850 They're not that expensive compared to that graphics card. Cheap insurance if you ask me.

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
You're willing to spend $600+ on a GPU but not on a power supply that can handle it?

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by slothfish View Post
You're willing to spend $600+ on a GPU but not on a power supply that can handle it?

That's why I'm asking to see if maybe, just maybe my current PSU can take it.

·
Premium Member
8,479 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by H4rd5tyl3 View Post
Was wondering the same question, but with a Xigmatek 750W PSU.
Yes, you would be fine with that power supply.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts