Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys im thinking about trading my 550BE X2 3.8GHz + £50 for a stock nearly new Phenom II 945 X4 3GHz.

What do you all think? Should I do it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,396 Posts
haha, ur considering it now xD, ill get some info if i can find anything, assuming u will benefit from the 4 cores i'll say its a good deal since there both used and the 945 isnt that old

edit: just found this thread, wooo i can use the search button

http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/61...-550-vs-p.html
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,824 Posts
I think you are good where you are at. People have been telling me that you wont be seeing much gains from a 720 to a 955, especially in gaming when most games only take advantage of 1 or 2 cores.

Also the 6 core CPUs are due next year. You can upgrade then.

Edit: oops someone is gonna trade you for 50 pounds? I dont know if thats a good deal since Im from the united states, but if that doesnt seem like much, id say go for it
 

·
Efficiencycionado
Joined
·
5,587 Posts
do it!

especially if you like gaming while doing lotsa or at least a couple of minimized apps at the background.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im really tempted but not sure if i can live without my pc while the cpu is in the post.

also im a bit tight on cash at the mo. I can afford it but its probably better spent on bills or some crap like that. lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
na just the 550be that i would be trading.

would the new chip work with the same os install?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,730 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT668 View Post
na just the 550be that i would be trading.

would the new chip work with the same os install?
Should work.
 
Joined
·
3,284 Posts
yess it will work with the same os. and I dont think its worth it, A none BE phenom in my eyes is pointless, Sell the 550BE for £60 + £50 you have and buy a used 955/965
 

·
Efficiencycionado
Joined
·
5,587 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by [email protected]'D
View Post

yess it will work with the same os. and I dont think its worth it, A none BE phenom in my eyes is pointless, Sell the 550BE for £60 + £50 you have and buy a used 955/965



most of the phenom 2 chips maxes out at the same clock speeds. BEs are just easier to oc.

i would trade my 940be and a couple of bucks for a 945 just to get the ddr3 feature.

the only real benefit of BEs is when you're using non-conventional cooling.
 
Joined
·
3,284 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by gerikoh
View Post



most of the phenom 2 chips maxes out at the same clock speeds. BEs are just easier to oc.

i would trade my 940be and a couple of bucks for a 945 just to get the ddr3 feature.

the only real benefit of BEs is when you're using non-conventional cooling.

show me a 945 no ES clocked to the same speeds as a 955/965 i.e <4ghz> 24/7 and I will shut up

Why have a Fiat *945* when you can have a ferrari 955+
 

·
Efficiencycionado
Joined
·
5,587 Posts
i can get 3.7ghz with a pure fsb oc with my 940be. i couldn't get it to 3.8ghz compared with multi and fsb coz my components are limiting me. but i know i can do more. and i bet a c3 945 would oc more. it's just harder to achieve.

and just take a look at intel cpus. the i7 920 maxes out just about the same as an i7 965/975 extreme editions on conventional air cooling.

besides, what's a 100-200mhz of clock speed advantage of 2 cores over 4 cores anyway?
 
Joined
·
3,284 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by gerikoh
View Post

i can get 3.7ghz with a pure fsb oc with my 940be. i couldn't get it to 3.8ghz compared with multi and fsb coz my components are limiting me. but i know i can do more. and i bet a c3 945 would oc more. it's just harder to achieve.

and just take a look at intel cpus. the i7 920 maxes out just about the same as an i7 965/975 extreme editions on conventional air cooling.

besides, what's a 100-200mhz of clock speed advantage of 2 cores over 4 cores anyway?

yeah but Im 100% sure this isn't a c3 stepping 945. But w.e, Just remember why make things harder for yourself with a non BE.

Ohh and Remember Ferrari FTW
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,682 Posts
I say "No" because I would save the money for the new 6 core next year or get a new mobo and memory that you can put the new 6 core in.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top