Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CH8 Wifi, 5600X CPU, Gigabyte 5600XT Windforce OC Rev 2.

I have the graphics in 16_1, NVME in M.2_1 (PCI Mode), Asus Xonar in PCIex1. In the BIOS the card is listed as 4.0 x4 Native and jumps to that during stress. Shouldn't it be on 4.0 x16 native and bounce around between x4, x8 and x16 based on load? Did my ignorance of the new platforms cause me to screw up how I set things up?

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,023 Posts
Try moving the xonar to the bottom 16x slot.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried just taking the thing out. I threw in two separate rx 590s both show as PCIex16. My nvme is 3.0. After reseating the 5600xt a few times it popped up as 4.0 x8 now but then 4.0 x4 after I tried again. I'm open to the idea that I don't know how to install a graphics card but I'm not sure how to test if it is a PCIe slot, GPU, or CPU issue. I don't have another 4.0 device to install. I would think that the 3.0 cards showing full x16 would mean that the slot and cpu socket are fine, but it has me thinking what if it is just fine enough for 3.0 and just dodgy enough that 4.0 gets weird.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Been through the mobo manual and it should be PCIe 4.0 x16 native and then based on need the lanes come and go for power. I have now become even more confused because I am looking at spec sheets for 5600XTs and am seeing that some are x8 native, not x16. My Gigabyte based on model number shows as a x16 native card but none of the ohter specs match.

Edit- Is there a force setting for this in BIOS? I can't find anything.

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,023 Posts
You might also check and see if bifurcation is turned off in the bios.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what specifically states it cna change the generation and speed?

You could try opening up gpu-z and doing the render test to "force" the motherboard to its highest allowed speed, if capable. some games do not need a lot of PCIE bandwidth
In BIOS it shows what I imagine is it's detected GEN 4.0, but it will either show x4 or x8 native. When I GPUz it functions as intended but only up from 1.1 to x4 or x8. What the bios is seeing. It's not seeing the card as x16.

You might also check and see if bifurcation is turned off in the bios.
I don't know what the bifurcation setting is. I haven't seen anything in the onboard config heading that lets me set manually the settings (auto, gen1, gen2, gen3, gen 4) for the PCIe and M.2 slots.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Not entirely sure I understand the manual for this motherboard.... according to the list slot 16_1 is only x16 if the other two slots are empty.... but the block diagram for the PCIE seems to indicate that you can install a card into 16_1 and 16_3 and M2_1 and keep PCIE4x16 on the first slot. You cannot install anything into 16_2 without causing 16_1 to go to x8 mode however.

Don't know much about the 5600XT.... I have an Nvidia card that says in the BIOS that is it is running x1 until Window is started, so maybe some power saving settings?

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not entirely sure I understand the manual for this motherboard.... according to the list slot 16_1 is only x16 if the other two slots are empty.... but the block diagram for the PCIE seems to indicate that you can install a card into 16_1 and 16_3 and M2_1 and keep PCIE4x16 on the first slot. You cannot install anything into 16_2 without causing 16_1 to go to x8 mode however.

Don't know much about the 5600XT.... I have an Nvidia card that says in the BIOS that is it is running x1 until Window is started, so maybe some power saving settings?
Everything in your post is accurate. This is not an issue of the card changing amount of lanes in Windows based on power levels. It is an issue of the card not being recognized as a x16 card. It reports to GPUz "This card reports that it supports PCI Express 4.0 x16" "It is currently running at PCI Express 4.0 x8 1.1 (or 4 or 8 depending)"

Edit- Meant to say that the motherboard does not see it as a x16 card. The mobo see it as a x4 or x8 native card in PCI 4.0.

I don't know how to test a PCIe slot. Slot looks clean, recognizes PCIe 3.0 cards as x16 native, but I can't get it to recognize the 5600XT as x16 native. I think I am just going to see if Microcenter will pop an open box PCIe 4.0 card in for me next week. I don't want to buy another graphics card just to test this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts