Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a deal on one of these with an a78 mobo for $20, but I didn't realize that the CPU kind of sucks for a quad core. Would this be decent with a 5870? I play games from like 2011 and don't care about 1080p but I looked at benches and it runs even with a 2120

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I don't see any issues with it. Might not run Crysis very well but there are lots of games that will run just fine.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't see any issues with it. Might not run Crysis very well but there are lots of games that will run just fine.
well i was just looking at benchmarks and it doesn't seem like it's even faster than a phenom 2 955, which is obviously old but for the games I play that part doesn't matter

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
Do you already own the HD 5870? If not, I would suggest getting a modern budget GPU as it would blow the HD 5870 away in terms of performance and power consumption. Even a lowly RX 560 or GTX 1050 should perform considerably better. If you're getting the HD 5870 for next to nothing, that changes the equation a little bit. That APU should be fine for gaming as long as you're not playing anything too extreme.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
well i was just looking at benchmarks and it doesn't seem like it's even faster than a phenom 2 955, which is obviously old but for the games I play that part doesn't matter
Well it isn't really...the 5600 does have slightly better single core performance though which is the one you'd want for gaming. Once overclocked it could get much better but IDK if that board will let you.

But no it's not much better than a 955 but I didn't realize this was a comparison. The 5600 will be fine for older games with the GPU you mentioned.
Personally I wouldn't buy any of these parts unless they are extremely cheap like in the $20 to $40 range as there is a long list of stuff you could get that would be much better for games like a 2400GE APU which can have a dedicated GPU added to it.
http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-RX-Vega-11-Ryzen-iGPU-vs-AMD-HD-5870/m401440vsm7681

1 - 5 of 5 Posts