Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice, I'm chasing as much performance in Warzone as I can get. It seems like GDM really hurts my framerates in Warzone compared to 2t but getting 2t stable with 4x8 Viper B-dies is a real nightmare. I've been trying to pass 1900fclk for over 6 months and I'm convinced that's as high as this CPU can go.

Does anyone have any suggestions for changes to my timings? With only 2 dimms I was able to hit 52ns but with 4 dimms 54ns is the best I can do. I added the extra ram this week to try to improve my minimum frame rates in Warzone. It seems like it helped the average frame rates but the lows are still awful. What I'd really like is to keep the FCLK at 1900 and switch to 2T but I don't know where to go with my memory timings.

Voltages: Right now I'm running Auto Vsoc, VDDP, CCD and IOD. Ram is 1.45. Every time I try to change them I get less stability and worse performance.

CPU OC: Running PBO - PPT 185w, TDP 125v, EDC 170v. +200mhz -25,-25,-15,-25,-20,-25. Scalar 1x. Should I try 10x?

When I play Warzone my CPU never goes over 4.7 ghz, does that mean I should try lowering the +200mhz core down to +150mhz to see if I can get faster consistent all core clocks?

Warzone performance: I go from up to 270 fps down to around 200 with occasional dips to 150 which drive me insane. I have an RTX 3080 and a 280hz monitor.

My Asus Tuf X570 motherboard has a Digi VRM section, should I be changing anything in there?

Font Screenshot Technology Software Number

·
Premium Member
4,476 Posts
What does your core voltage go to and what are your temps?

·
Registered
10 Posts
CPU OC: Running PBO - PPT 185w, TDP 125v, EDC 170v. +200mhz -25,-25,-15,-25,-20,-25. Scalar 1x. Should I try 10x?

When I play Warzone my CPU never goes over 4.7 ghz, does that mean I should try lowering the +200mhz core down to +150mhz to see if I can get faster consistent all core clocks?

Warzone performance: I go from up to 270 fps down to around 200 with occasional dips to 150 which drive me insane. I have an RTX 3080 and a 280hz monitor.

My Asus Tuf X570 motherboard has a Digi VRM section, should I be changing anything in there?
After a lot of Ryzen testing, my conclution is that lower EDC is key for CPU Boost.
With that said, a lower EDC will not always give more fps/scores. Like Cinnebench etc likes EDC, also some heavy benches.
But it is worth to try in gaming. If it will help or not, well you will just have to see.

If you lower EDC and keep +200mhz, you will have to adjust the undervolt to each core and find the sweet spot. I usually tend to look on wich core boost highest in HW info.
And if the PC is unstable, i reduce undervolt until it is stabile. Typical can the weakest cores have -30, but the best cores kan be -19 etc. Yea, and do 10X.
Try: PPT 260w, TDP 170, EDC 1XX. The first 2 dosent count all that much, just do not keep them to low.

To figure out if your CPU boost consistently in not to heavy operations, use a memory bench test and watch how it unfold in Hw info. (also look at the effective clock)

When it comes to the power, digi section, atleast not my board (Dark hero) needs a lot of adjusting for CPU.
But CPU phase controll is one of them, run it at very fast or extreem.
Higher current /higer LLC tends to affect boosting in a negative way, but can be needed.
Some testing will reveal what your board/CPU will need.

Have a look at the Ryzen dram Calculator, it is a bit outdated for Ryzen 5000, but it has many tips regarding power settings etc.
So in the Digi section, both memory and VSOC should have a bump up in the settings. You will find thees settings in the calculator.
The memory calculator bench can also be used to watch the CPU as you adjust stuff in bios.

And in general, try increase your VSOC to 1.125V. also found in the calc. Might help memory timings. Some more Vdimm should be fine to.
Make sure you have some cooling over them, and it is no problem to try 1.55 V.
BTW, you game in 1080P? if you to, a better ram kit might be the easy solution. If it is 1440P, you are most likely not limited much by ram in general.

Here is my 5900X boosting during benching. It is quite consistant at 4925Mhz all core during bench, only fluctuating a few times. That is the goal with lower EDC:
Product Rectangle Font Material property Parallel

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Try 40 proc 6/3/3. 40 clkdrvstr, 20/20/24. If you want to keep 1t try adding 56 to add cmdsetup with GDM off.
Tried those changes, won't post with 1 or 2t. Thanks for the suggestion though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After a lot of Ryzen testing, my conclution is that lower EDC is key for CPU Boost.
With that said, a lower EDC will not always give more fps/scores. Like Cinnebench etc likes EDC, also some heavy benches.
But it is worth to try in gaming. If it will help or not, well you will just have to see.

If you lower EDC and keep +200mhz, you will have to adjust the undervolt to each core and find the sweet spot. I usually tend to look on wich core boost highest in HW info.
And if the PC is unstable, i reduce undervolt until it is stabile. Typical can the weakest cores have -30, but the best cores kan be -19 etc. Yea, and do 10X.
Try: PPT 260w, TDP 170, EDC 1XX. The first 2 dosent count all that much, just do not keep them to low.

To figure out if your CPU boost consistently in not to heavy operations, use a memory bench test and watch how it unfold in Hw info. (also look at the effective clock)

When it comes to the power, digi section, atleast not my board (Dark hero) needs a lot of adjusting for CPU.
But CPU phase controll is one of them, run it at very fast or extreem.
Higher current /higer LLC tends to affect boosting in a negative way, but can be needed.
Some testing will reveal what your board/CPU will need.

Have a look at the Ryzen dram Calculator, it is a bit outdated for Ryzen 5000, but it has many tips regarding power settings etc.
So in the Digi section, both memory and VSOC should have a bump up in the settings. You will find thees settings in the calculator.
The memory calculator bench can also be used to watch the CPU as you adjust stuff in bios.

And in general, try increase your VSOC to 1.125V. also found in the calc. Might help memory timings. Some more Vdimm should be fine to.
Make sure you have some cooling over them, and it is no problem to try 1.55 V.
BTW, you game in 1080P? if you to, a better ram kit might be the easy solution. If it is 1440P, you are most likely not limited much by ram in general.

Here is my 5900X boosting during benching. It is quite consistant at 4925Mhz all core during bench, only fluctuating a few times. That is the goal with lower EDC: View attachment 2544010
Will experiment with lower EDC to boost all core. Already switched to 10x with no difference in performance. I'm also going to try an ALL-core overclock this week with Ryzen master. The fact that I managed to get 4x8gb Bdie to 53.9ns memory latency in AIDA is actually pretty amazing so I'll probably leave the memory alone.

I tried setting Extremes in the Digi section (Phase control and others) but it reduced performance substantially over all Auto. I don't know if it's my CPU or what but PBO LOVEs Autos voltages on my system. Vsoc increases for example reduce all core performance on my 5600x. I play Warzone in 1080p on a 280hz monitor, hence the push for 280+ FPS. I'm already running pretty decent quality Bdie in my machine and my FCLK won't go over 1900 anyway so I doubt slightly better Bdie would make a meaningful difference. I'll either upgrade to a 5800X3D, Zen 4 or Raptor lake later this year. Warzone has to be the most CPU and Memory latency demanding game I've ever played, I'm still CPU limited at 1080p with a 3080.

Adding cooling over my ram is impossible because my NHD15 fans literally rest on top of the dimms right now. I've tried adding more voltage to the Bdies but they don't like it either.

I made a discovery that really helped improve my minimum frame rates, I was using a different power profile in Windows 11 than "Balanced" which is the default. I reinstalled the AMD chipset package and changed to Balanced, now I get very consistent 220+ fps with the 1% lows being around 170 but the drops in frame rate aren't as noticeable. Gulag I get up to 280fps.

It's pretty funny, I get more than double the FPS of a lot of the popular Warzone streamers with RTX 3090s and 10900k. Beating Alder Lake is pretty much impossible though in Warzone. Alder is a monster when OCed.

Thanks very much for all your advice. I'll post another reply once I've tried the EDC changes.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I am not a fan of limiting PPT, TDP, EDC. I think that the CPU can handle this alone.
If you want to get more from your CPU you need to play with Curve Optimizer, I mean with each core. You can try CoreCycler and to find where is the lower stable point of each core.
About Scalar, I leave it auto.

Font Electronic device Multimedia Screenshot Gas

Link to the result.
Rectangle Parallel Font Screenshot Brand

·
Registered
119 Posts
i had same problem, my 5600x was not very good. Need to try more 5600X, every of them are different. But generally the 5800X contains the best cores. Because AMD is so expensive, it is not really benefical to try now 5 different 5600x and i waited enough for cheaper prices. I am moving to Intel i5-12400F and that will run 5GHz+ with ease.

·
Overclock the World
3,792 Posts
PPT is a powersuply limiter, used by AMD as TDP limiter (for notebooks ~ but same system)
TDC is the same thing but with current. There are powervirus loads and there are generally higher wattage loads. This is here for AVX & AVX2 loads, which rather use higher amperage.
EDC is global Amperage Package limit - Substrate health focused and 1:1 relates to maximum allowed voltage by FIT

Building voltage curve limiters, on limited by EDC voltage curves ~ is logically "chasing your own tail". Or "rotating in a cycle"
A bad idea with other words.

The same goes to running X10 Scalar as Mr. Hallock advises without really much information on how dLDO works or what CO steps really are.
X10 scalar, while allowing FIT to be less sensitive on substrate Amperage limits, will also allow it to take even more voltage.
Vermeer is already overvolted enough , else user wouldn't need to touch CO's at all.
Advice's are contraproductive here
I am here biased, but can suggest a little crashcourse to CO usage:
CoreCycler - tool for testing Curve Optimizer settings this post, not the tool :)

The advice with putting weaker cores further down is correct
But it was forgotten to supply the reason ~ that FIT will mark them as requesting too high voltage.
You want to keep a voltage balance (CO balance) between CCDs and on 1CCD systems in general
Do not make too big CO distance changes, as you can pull voltage away and destabilize that way cores. dLDO_Injector (balancer) is a thing
^ @pastuch

Do also not forget, that a 5600X has a prochot limit of 65°
Reaching higher than that, results in lower maximum allowed voltage, and so lower possible frequency strap

·
Registered
757 Posts
Suggestion: Try stabilizing 2T at more relaxed timings first, then try tightening. Try 16-16-16-32-48, 16 cwl, 16 faw, 6 rrdl, 4 wtrs, 12 wtrl, 288 rfc. If that works you can begin lowering them one by one and see where the problems start. 2t often requires a bit more voltage on ram vs gdm, if my above reqs don`t work, try setting 1.46V or 1.47V.

·
Registered
61 Posts
What's the point in all this? do you think higher FPS will help you win if so the marketing has worked flawlessly on you? lol

• Sad
Reactions: Veii

·
Overclock the World
3,792 Posts
Warzone game feels laggy and unsmooth bellow 150fps
Same as framesynced Rhythm Games, feel stuttery bellow 600fps or Apex feels odd bellow 200 FPS
This is independent of the reason for OC
Overclocking doesn't need justification

OPs request supplied main pc usage
It should be known that on games with big texture files and popping textures (many item drops/spawns)
Faster memory bandwidth, helps towards minimum fps drops
This goes for racing games too.

The issue is the game engine, but the support is not ignorable

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What's the point in all this? do you think higher FPS will help you win if so the marketing has worked flawlessly on you? lol
I have a 280hz monitor and I'd like to get the most out of it. I also have a 3.5 KD in Warzone so it's not about getting better, it's about the game playing smooth. The difference between 150hz/fps and 250hz/fps is huge.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a 280hz monitor and I'd like to get the most out of it. I also have a 3.5 KD in Warzone so it's not about getting better, it's about the game playing smooth. The difference between 150hz/fps and 250hz/fps is huge.
Yea I don't believe that for starters unless you are on a controller and secondly the game is server-dependent, in one round you will have 120fps then the next it will be 80. Your rig most likely isn't the problem.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea I don't believe that for starters unless you are on a controller and secondly the game is server-dependent, in one round you will have 120fps then the next it will be 80. Your rig most likely isn't the problem.
Bro, why the toxicity? Here's my cod tracker. I'm mouse and keyboard. I have 3.47 kd this season and I'm almost 41 years old. My frame rate is over 200 most of the time with my 5600x. I NEVER drop below 170. Server has nothing to do with it, Warzone is crazy cpu demanding. Here's my COD tracker: grifter#2115962's COD Warzone Season Stats - COD Warzone Tracker

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Bro, why the toxicity? Here's my cod tracker. I'm mouse and keyboard. I have 3.47 kd this season and I'm almost 41 years old. My frame rate is over 200 most of the time with my 5600x. I NEVER drop below 170. Server has nothing to do with it, Warzone is crazy cpu demanding. Here's my COD tracker: grifter#2115962's COD Warzone Season Stats - COD Warzone Tracker
Well, i find nowhere your game setting in the thread.
What are your game settings, what are the one that impact cpu performances, how much fps dips you got when dialing low game settings.

Have you tried an all cores OC instead of the PBO, is your cpu able to run at 4.7Ghz/4.8Ghz all cores?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Well, i find nowhere your game setting in the thread.
What are your game settings, what are the one that impact cpu performances, how much fps dips you got when dialing low game settings.

Have you tried an all cores OC instead of the PBO, is your cpu able to run at 4.7Ghz/4.8Ghz all cores?
My bad, all settings are LOW except for texture resolution which is Normal.

I tested an all-core OC yesterday and it was pretty bad, significantly worse than PBO. With a Noctua NHd15 my CPU spiked to 100+ degrees at 4.5ghz. 4.6 crashes. Tried a range of voltages from 1.3 to 1.4. Core 3 on my 5600x is awful.

I just got 2t stable but my frames are lower than with GDM. Thanks Taraquin, your suggestion worked, will lower timings next

·
Overclock the World
3,792 Posts
I've written you a good piece of information and mentioned you @pastuch
It was ignored :coffee:
Get your CO's right, and probably disable BAR mode ~ as that pulls the GPU down, if your CPU is slower in resulting frametime

Later when the CPU is fine, you can focus on memOC
Also you already get good FPS , but the drops are an game independent issue
It can be that the CPU gets to hot. It can be that your memory get's too hot while the GPU is pumping heat into the case.

I would start by confirming you are y-cruncher stable, 4 loops (72min)
y-cruncher - A Multi-Threaded Pi Program 1-7-0 key combination
Then grab OCCT, and run OCCT extreme ~ with what it defaults (takes 1h)

that is after you get your cores together ~ to verify stability
And at the very end, you can focus on your GPU
Also if the GPU already is used as 100% ~ then you know your bottleneck well. Better GPU OC = better FPS

If you can't max out the GPU, it's either CPU or something else (on Vermeer 5000 series) it is rather the CPU Boost and not the memory.
Especially since you're talking about 1900 FCLK and not 1600 16-18-18

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
My bad, all settings are LOW except for texture resolution which is Normal.

I tested an all-core OC yesterday and it was pretty bad, significantly worse than PBO. With a Noctua NHd15 my CPU spiked to 100+ degrees at 4.5ghz. 4.6 crashes. Tried a range of voltages from 1.3 to 1.4. Core 3 on my 5600x is awful.

I just got 2t stable but my frames are lower than with GDM. Thanks Taraquin, your suggestion worked, will lower timings next
Well, this is exactly what i wanted you to evealuate, ty.

After that, there is not much else you can do, aside tuning the cpu, ram and windows.

-As @Efilnikufesin suggested, the best memory configuration is 1T, GDM off.
Usually one want to run 16GB of ram 2x8GB single rank, for the best performances.
I didn't looked at your ram closely, but 32GB dual/single rank, is typically harder to push than a simple 16GB single rank kit.
You should also relax a bit your TRFC, 275 is a bit low even for B-Die, no wonder it does not boot 1T GDM off.

-Check if your PBO curve is set up correctly, without lowering too much the CO value, which would decrease the overall performances.
You should also check the PTT/EDC/TDC values, to be sure that the cpu isn't power limited, trying to keep everything as cool as possible.

-Check your windows process, do you have stuff that run into the background, like RGB garbage software or other manufacturer spyware software?
When i play competitive shooters as Apex, COD, BFV, i have nothing running into the background.
There is absolutely nothing in the taskbar, aside the lan and cleaned Nvidia control panel icons!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts