1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a XFX 5770 and stumbled upon these goodies on craigslist:

XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 PCI-E 1GB card - $50
XFX ATI Radeon HD 6770 PCI-E 1GB card - $75

My question is, would it be worth the 25 dollars to xfire the 6770 with the 5770 or should I save money and just go with another 5770. I know you can crossfire the first two, but I haven't had much luck on finding the benefits.

Fun question, would it even be remotely economical to trifire the three cards?

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
its the exact same chip so get the cheaper one, and 5770s actually work nicely in trifire so i would go for it. OR you could even go quadfire
smile.gif

·
New OCN got me like...
4,097 Posts
The 5770 is identical to the 6770. If you can find a 5770 -- and you're set on crossfiring -- get the 5770.

·
Premium Member
3,246 Posts
The 5770 is a better deal, considering they are basically the same card. Also, I doubt trifire is worth it, if even possible. Do the cards all have two CFX connectors?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCrap;15247424
its the exact same chip so get the cheaper one, and 5770s actually work nicely in trifire so i would go for it. OR you could even go quadfire
smile.gif
Awesome, that's what I thought, but I've seen so many mixed answers online I wanted to make sure.

The guy does have a second 5770 for sale, but it's not an XFX. It's a Diamond ATI Radon HD 5770 Low Profile PCI-E 1GB card. Would I be able to tri fire without many issues or would this become a complicated mess?

·
Premium Member
7,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenderr;15247386
I currently own a XFX 5770 and stumbled upon these goodies on craigslist:

XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 PCI-E 1GB card - $50
XFX ATI Radeon HD 6770 PCI-E 1GB card - $75

My question is, would it be worth the 25 dollars to xfire the 6770 with the 5770 or should I save money and just go with another 5770. I know you can crossfire the first two, but I haven't had much luck on finding the benefits.

Fun question, would it even be remotely economical to trifire the three cards?
Adding 6770 will require to put the 5770 as secondary, not the other way around. Go for another 5770 to crossfire or trifire if the card has 2 interconnect gold fingers. Trifire 5770 x $50 = $150 ? Go for it if you motherboard supports it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCrap;15247506
Yea make sure it has xfire tabs... most low profile cards don't...
I'll ask him, I'm 100% sure the XFX cards do. The one I have at home does for sure. So if the low profile does not then I would have to settle for a crossfire situation unless you can do 6770 (primary) and then two 5770s as secondaries.

·
Premium Member
9,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-ramp;15247437
The 5770 is a better deal, considering they are basically the same card. Also, I doubt trifire is worth it, if even possible. Do the cards all have two CFX connectors?
5770's should have two crossfire tabs on them. Hell my 4870's do.

As for tri-fire scaling, it all depends on the game/app. In some games you won't notice a bit of difference, in others, the third card will add up to 30%+ improvement. So the answer is, it all depends.

If you care to read it, here's an article from Guru 3D about tri-firing 5770's.

As you see, the results are pretty good overall. However, some games you will actually lose performance over just crossfiring.

·
Premium Member
3,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOmega;15247583
5770's should have two crossfire tabs on them. Hell my 4870's do.
I'm not sure how the the 4870 comment matters (on that note, I had an Asus one with two tabs), but my XFX 5770 had only a single tab. That being said, maybe it's possible to run tri-fire as long as one card has two tabs. Just wondering here, it's probably completely irrelevant here.
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
9,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-ramp;15248590
I'm not sure how the the 4870 comment matters (on that note, I had an Asus one with two tabs), but my XFX 5770 had only a single tab. That being said, maybe it's possible to run tri-fire as long as one card has two tabs. Just wondering here, it's probably completely irrelevant here.
smile.gif
Just sayin about the 4870's. They're older tech and they have it.
wink.gif

And damn that XFX, it looks like a reference card/cooler, yet only 1 CFX tab. Bastards. I still like their warranty though.
biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenderr;15248636
Could my Corsair TX650 even handle 3 cards with the rest of my stuff?
Read the review I linked to above. It tells you everything you'll want to know about your trifire getup.

But in short, yes your 650w should be able to handle the three cards. You're looking at 324w (27A) total draw.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-ramp;15248590
smile.gif
You only need one with two tabs.
It'll look something like this
|
||
/

·
Premium Member
3,246 Posts
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. One of the pairs wouldn't like up, though, which might make it somewhat tricky.

Right?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-ramp;15249151
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. One of the pairs wouldn't like up, though, which might make it somewhat tricky.

Right?
Yeah, people say you need to find a longer cable if that's the case otherwise the short ones get all bent up. If you have at least 2 with double crossfire tabs you'll get linear pairs.

·
Premium Member
3,246 Posts
Makes sense.
smile.gif

By the way, I have a couple unused 3-slot bridges if you or someone else needs them.
wink.gif

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
EDIT:
Nevermind, I was confused.

·
Premium Member
3,246 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts