Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, just signed up on this forum, any help is greatly appreciated.

I built a new computer at the beginning of September with a Phenom II X2 555, GA-870A-UD3 motherboard, antec 550w modular psu, samsung f4 320gb hd, asus dvd burner, and the topic of todays post, a sapphire vapor-x 5770.

It worked great all through the 30 day RMA period. I hadn't played any game over the weekend, but had installed avast antivirus (mistake #1) and acrobat reader. Was running Catalyst 10.8. Attempted to play starcraft 2 (which had been running fine) and upon trying to join a multiplayer game the screen would lose signal. Similar occurance about 30 seconds into playing Left 4 Dead 2. I figured maybe the antivirus was screwing with something in the backround, so I went to uninstall it and it spent a while making a backup image. Then I decided to try to update Catalyst (mistake #2?) to 10.9. I deleted Catalyst 10.8, attempted to restart, and then things got weird. About half the time the system would not even post, with no signal to the monitor and the video card power cycling. When it did post it would try to load windows and there would be a black screen with a mouse cursor. The screen saver would appear over this if it sat for a few minutes, but it was just a black screen.

Figuring I might've corrupted some video driver, I reformatted and reinstalled windows. Point to note: when reformatting, there was a 100mb "system partition" that I had not created. I removed this partition and formatted the whole drive, reinstalled Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Windows booted fine after reformat, and I installed Catalyst 10.9. However, there were still problems in games (Starcraft 2 and L4D2 being the two I've been testing). Starcraft 2 will crash about 30sec - 1 min into a single player / multiplayer game. It has not crashed on the menu yet.

Description of crash:
Screen goes black, then loses signal. Fan on graphics card revs to what sounds like 100% and will continue until a hard power down. There had being a weird sound when I had the speakers hooked up (are not currently).

I read a couple similar posts on this forum, and decided to roll back the drivers to 10.4. Same exact problem.

I have contacted Sapphire technical support and submitted a ticket but have not had a response. Unfortunately I am just outside of the newegg 30 day rma period so if needed I will have to rma through sapphire itself.

Any thoughts / suggestions / opinions are welcome. Thank you.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I am running a reference saphire 5770 and have had similiar issues. Seems to be somewhat random and no clue as to what causes it. You running digital or vga cable? For me it seems to be a digital issue.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Sounds like hardware, due you did a a clean install of windows with new drivers and still get crashes. You can probably try trouble shooting your card on another motherboard to see if it could be the motherboard itself.

I conclude that its most likely a bad video card.
If not then something is wrong with your motherboard.
You did install correct drivers when you did a install of windows right?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was running a dvi to hdmi cable to my panasonic hdtv. Currently running a dvi to vga to an older envision crt monitor. Have only tried the one dvi out port. I have not reinstalled my motherboard drivers on the clean format, though I think they are just the gigabyte utilities (et6 and powersaver and the like). Will install motherboard drivers when I get home from school and test.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The 100mb partition is for windows system swap. The lost signal issue sounds like your card is overheating, most cards have a built-in shut down method that keeps your card from being completely destroyed. What temps are you getting with your graphics card?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took out the card, cleaned the contacts with rubbing alcohol, let evaporate. Unattached and reattached all components to the power supply. So far seems to have helped. As for temperatures, the card is maxing out at 82C running furmark for the past half hour. Furmark has not yet crashed the system. Fingers crossed that some connection was loose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.