1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran the autotune in CCC and got this:

930MHz core clock
1205MHz memory clock

That's only +5 MHz on the memory clock. I'm wondering if I should up the memory clock further on my own?

Or does the memory clock not matter that much?

Thanks

(Gigabyte 5770 egg-shape cooler edition)

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by IntelConvert
View Post

doing your own OC is the best. the auto OC usually doesnt do a great job

Alright thanks.

So I chose for a 24/7 overclock:

Stock voltage
930MHz core clock
1275MHz memory clock

So that's +80MHz (+9.41%) stock core, and +75MHz (+6.25%) stock memory

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
Go to 940/1300 and see what happens. mine runs fine

The occasional artifact in crysis when you use the iron sights/scope, but it does that on stock settings... so i don't know.

also, run 55% fan speed unless you like it quiet.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by linkin93
View Post

Go to 940/1300 and see what happens. mine runs fine

The occasional artifact in crysis when you use the iron sights/scope, but it does that on stock settings... so i don't know.

also, run 55% fan speed unless you like it quiet.

If I set it at 55%, will it just stay there?

What if it needs to run at higher than that amount? Noob question I know.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay so I tried running 3dmark06 and it keeps on failing on the firefly part.

Gotta figure out how to downclock this

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can't get any overclock out of this thing stable. I can run 3dmark06 nine times out of ten, but there's that one in ten that screws up.

I'm trying to find out the stock 5770 voltage but no where tells me. I'm getting frustrated. Trying to figure out if mine is a lower voltage or something, which may cause bad overclocks.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
cooling the GPU off can make it more stable. for me, i think the fan is bearable up to about 75%, above that it gets pretty loud. just find the max fan speed you can handle in terms of noise. MSI AFterburner, and maybe some other programs, allow you to change the fan speed at different temps. you can make a custom little graph in the utility for X*C temp the fan will run at Y% speed. or just manually set it to run at the speed you choose while youre gaming and then set it back to auto when youre done gaming/benching.

and i would think you can push the GPU memory farther than just 1275mhz. try dropping the temps and run it again. what are your current max temps?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by IntelConvert View Post
cooling the GPU off can make it more stable. for me, i think the fan is bearable up to about 75%, above that it gets pretty loud. just find the max fan speed you can handle in terms of noise. MSI AFterburner, and maybe some other programs, allow you to change the fan speed at different temps. you can make a custom little graph in the utility for X*C temp the fan will run at Y% speed. or just manually set it to run at the speed you choose while youre gaming and then set it back to auto when youre done gaming/benching.

and i would think you can push the GPU memory farther than just 1275mhz. try dropping the temps and run it again. what are your current max temps?
Current max temps are something like 61 celcius. And they aren't even reaching that by the time they fail.

It seems like the core is failing. Do you think upping the voltage by an extremely minimal amount will allow for a more stable core speed?

I hear that the memory speed isn't much of a bonus, compared to increased core speed? Or are both important?

Right now I can't even get +80MHz out of my core. Not sure if even +60MHz is possible.

Testing the memory currently.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
those temps are pretty low... you could up the voltage to see if it will be more stable. seems like your card isnt a good OCer.

try some more voltage, your temps are plenty low enough to handle some more voltage. i wouldnt be concerned till youre getting close to 80*C. thats just too hot IMHO.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by IntelConvert
View Post

those temps are pretty low... you could up the voltage to see if it will be more stable. seems like your card isnt a good OCer.

try some more voltage, your temps are plenty low enough to handle some more voltage. i wouldnt be concerned till youre getting close to 80*C. thats just too hot IMHO.

I'm considering switching the card with the one in the downstairs computer. Since the downstairs computer is all stock, I'll test how well it overclocks in comparison.

But I have no idea how to modify the voltage in bios so I don't need to change it every time I boot up through a program.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ehhh maybe overvolting my CPU isn't a good idea.

If it's not overclocking well, maybe that's a sign that it may also be bad with other things (ex. higher voltage).

What does the fact that it won't overclock well mean? Should I not OC at all then?

I've managed a stable 910MHz core and 1325MHz memory.

I could probably go 915 safely on the core, and higher on the memory, but I'm sticking in a safer zone I guess.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
CCC sux. i never installed it. just the drivers and MSI afterburner

MSI afterburner will let you change clock speeds, voltages and fan speeds. you need to enable 'unofficial overlcocking' to get above 960mhz i believe. just go one step at a time, follow the guide.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought an XFX 5770 and I'm getting reliable 930 core 1350 ram clocks no problem temperature stays under 65 degrees with fan speed at 75%. At 940 gpu clock my system becomes unstable, my voltage is set at stock.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts