Overclock.net banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Is the pump powerful enough to handle moving enough water to draw away the excess heat? Sounds to me like something is either impeding waterflow (bad/poor bend, too many right angle turns) or pump is the issue. Can't imagine just judging from those pictures that it'd be too many turns in the loop...

Gorgeous PC by the way! Work of art. :) @robbiemcg1226
Thanks man, I've built so many Jank high performance PC's over the years, I wanted to try my hand at a "show room" PC for once. So far, it's been making me bleed money and question why I didn't just use soft tube again. Down the road, I'll probably swap all the hard tube fittings for soft tube and convert it to make my life easier, so far I despise hard tube life.

The pump is a D5 PWM, it moves at max 3.8L/min according to my digital flow meter, I have it tuned to live life at 2L/min - 3.8 L/min depending on cpu temps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Sounds like reseating the block helped.

Any chance you can post a screenshot of HWInfo while running p95 showing cpu power draw and temps? Also, what are your ambient and water temps?

I posted some temps here using an arctic cooler II 240 with ~25C intake temps.
OK I finally had some time to run some tests. Much better then before, I copied your P95 settings exactly. I am mining Ethereum on my 3080 the entire time these tests are running, I rarely ever turn it off even when gaming. Also I forgot to reset HWinfo so the averages are going to be skewed over the past 22 hours of uptime, same with max freq, 4.8ghz~ tends to be the boost of 1-2 cores not all 8, 8 cores is 4.5ghz~. All settings are stock besides PCI-E 3.0 for the riser cable, IF set to 1800 to match the ram 3600 profile.

Here's the results after 15 min, pump is running 100% with my curve at these temps moving 4.0L/M, water starting temp was 28c, water temp after 15 min was 31.2c, fans are always on 50% speed on this system. No thermal throttling yet.

Here's the results after 27 min, pump still 100%, water temp after 27 min was 31.8c.

Pump Curve

·
Registered
145 Posts
OK I finally had some time to run some tests.
Nice data, thanks for sharing. It would be good to get some more folks to compare with but just compared to my own system it looks like your setup is working pretty well, although perhaps not brilliantly considering it is a custom loop.

With the process size these cores are hard to get the heat out of and there might be some cpu to cpu variation on die to heat spreader contact so it's hard to say if there is much more you can do.

I'm guessing your gpu is adding a few degrees at least into the loop as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Nice data, thanks for sharing. It would be good to get some more folks to compare with but just compared to my own system it looks like your setup is working pretty well, although perhaps not brilliantly considering it is a custom loop.

With the process size these cores are hard to get the heat out of and there might be some cpu to cpu variation on die to heat spreader contact so it's hard to say if there is much more you can do.

I'm guessing your gpu is adding a few degrees at least into the loop as well.
I'm sure it is as it never stops mining. I do game fairly often per day but it's nothing compared to the amount of mining that is done went not gaming.

My idle temps and by idle I mean work and mining are in the low 40s. Gaming temps are low 50s on the CPU and mid 40s on the GPU. This CPU definitely spikes hard and fast with heat, my old setup which was comparative to this in terms of cooling with an R5 3600 never saw anything above 65 on the CPU even with prime running.

I had no idea the r7 was a furnace from hell until after I installed it and just immediately thought something was wrong. The optimus block is supposed to be the best on the market based on all the tests i've seen. But in all reality most AIOs are pretty competitive to custom loops, it's more the better look of a custom loop and the fun of building it anymore and you can include the GPU and other stuff into the loop as well. I had 2 AIO's running on my 1600 and 1080 build years back using the NZXT bracket for the GPU. Both did a great job cooling. The custom loop did out perform it but by not by more then 10c overall.

I might try out liquid metal in the future but not in a rush todo so. I'll be cleaning and rebuilding the loop in the next 2-3 weeks and got some noctua thermal paste that should out perform the current paste but I think until I grow the balls to do liquid metal, there's not much else I can do to lower thermals. The rads and loop order are removing the heat created by the time it gets back to the CPU, it's just the massive heat that CPU makes.

·
WaterCooler
4,269 Posts
5800X is probably the hottest chip between the 3 (5600X, 5800X, 5900X). 5900X at least has its 12 cores spread out between two core complexes which I imagine helps the heat dissipation. The 5800X has all 8 on the single complex.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm sure it is as it never stops mining. I do game fairly often per day but it's nothing compared to the amount of mining that is done went not gaming.

My idle temps and by idle I mean work and mining are in the low 40s. Gaming temps are low 50s on the CPU and mid 40s on the GPU. This CPU definitely spikes hard and fast with heat, my old setup which was comparative to this in terms of cooling with an R5 3600 never saw anything above 65 on the CPU even with prime running.

I had no idea the r7 was a furnace from hell until after I installed it and just immediately thought something was wrong. The optimus block is supposed to be the best on the market based on all the tests i've seen. But in all reality most AIOs are pretty competitive to custom loops, it's more the better look of a custom loop and the fun of building it anymore and you can include the GPU and other stuff into the loop as well. I had 2 AIO's running on my 1600 and 1080 build years back using the NZXT bracket for the GPU. Both did a great job cooling. The custom loop did out perform it but by not by more then 10c overall.

I might try out liquid metal in the future but not in a rush todo so. I'll be cleaning and rebuilding the loop in the next 2-3 weeks and got some noctua thermal paste that should out perform the current paste but I think until I grow the balls to do liquid metal, there's not much else I can do to lower thermals. The rads and loop order are removing the heat created by the time it gets back to the CPU, it's just the massive heat that CPU makes.
I have a 3080 FE in my rig and the heat and noise from that alone have me tempted to go custom loop...

I'm using Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut on the cpu. I don't think it is going to change things by more than a few degrees, but might be worth trying next time you have it apart.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts