Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy everyone.

So I successfully stable overclocked my 5820k to 4.6ghz @ 1.258v and it's been running like a champ.. Can probably go higher (I know I can) but no reason to.

Anyhow:

I ran XS Bench on Real Temp GT 3.70 when I first completed my build and I was hitting around a 1900 score...

The computer is still brand new with only 4 games installed, and nothing else.

I ran XS bench and now I hit ~1350ish and I can't seem to figure out why.

Anyone know why my score is so low for such a good overclock?

Any help is much appreciated thank you!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwareDecoder View Post

Probably isn't rally stable my guess is whea errors check event log
Event Viewer?

After that what am I looking for?

PS: When I bring it down to the base clock at 3.3ghz, my score is like 800ish

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Probably isn't stable as mentioned.

Stressed test a 5820k and got 4.5 at 1.27 on more than one program but anytime I run benchmarks it crashes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithydan View Post

Probably isn't stable as mentioned.

Stressed test a 5820k and got 4.5 at 1.27 on more than one program but anytime I run benchmarks it crashes.
Was able to run Prime95 for a relatively long time with no errors, and hasn't crashed yet and I've been running for a few weeks.

Any suggestions on a diff program to test, because I heard that Prime95 isn't the greatest thing in the world for Haswell-E

PS: I went back to factory settings and just used my MSI x99-a Sli Plus's OC Genie option.. It set it to 3.8ghz and I scored a decent 1651 just now...

I'm shooting for that 1900+ mark but Idk the most efficient way to do that =\

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Have you tried increasing voltage to see if it makes a difference to the score?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Try video encoding. You can use handbrake and have it encode with an h264 or h265 codec at high quality. That is a real world use of AVX instructions and if you have any stability issues with vCore you'll see it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Mega View Post

Was able to run Prime95 for a relatively long time with no errors, and hasn't crashed yet and I've been running for a few weeks.

Any suggestions on a diff program to test, because I heard that Prime95 isn't the greatest thing in the world for Haswell-E

PS: I went back to factory settings and just used my MSI x99-a Sli Plus's OC Genie option.. It set it to 3.8ghz and I scored a decent 1651 just now...

I'm shooting for that 1900+ mark but Idk the most efficient way to do that =\

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamen50 View Post

Have you tried increasing voltage to see if it makes a difference to the score?
Nothing, still a low XS Bench score. Lower then when at 3.8ghz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommanche View Post

As above, I'd say dial up to 1.3v at your 4.6ghz and see what happens.
Nothing as above =\

PS: If I set the MSI Bios to OC Genie and it clocks at 3.8ghz I'm getting the highest scores.. ~1450ish.

If I set it to 3.8ghz and 1.3v myself, I'm getting around ~1250... Not sure where to go from here, because the OC Genie doesn't let you choose what clock you want to push for

·
Registered
103 Posts
Did you review your BIOS settings to make sure everything is in order? Several factors could be at play, including power management throttling processor frequency. You can work around this by setting your PM in windows to high performance.
Quote:

Nothing, still a low XS Bench score. Lower then when at 3.8ghz.
Nothing as above =\

PS: If I set the MSI Bios to OC Genie and it clocks at 3.8ghz I'm getting the highest scores.. ~1450ish.

If I set it to 3.8ghz and 1.3v myself, I'm getting around ~1250... Not sure where to go from here, because the OC Genie doesn't let you choose what clock you want to push for

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemirunner426 View Post

Did you review your BIOS settings to make sure everything is in order? Several factors could be at play, including power management throttling processor frequency. You can work around this by setting your PM in windows to high performance.
Yeah I figured it out -- Kinda.

It was using "Dynamic" settings instead of "Fixed".

I set it to fixed and it started overclocking properly. . I got it to load at 4.5ghz @ 1.181v; however, when I opened the internet after XS Benchmark it blue screened on me.

I'm currently on and running at 4.5ghz @ 1.251v.. I heard Prime95 is a bad stress test for Haswell-e, do you suggest any others to test stability?

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
My guess is it isn't stable. On that note y'all have some primo chips. 4.6 @ 1.3v or less. W T F!

Edit:
Quote:

I set it to fixed and it started overclocking properly. . I got it to load at 4.5ghz @ 1.181v; however, when I opened the internet after XS Benchmark it blue screened on me.

I'm currently on and running at 4.5ghz @ 1.251v.. I heard Prime95 is a bad stress test for Haswell-e, do you suggest any others to test stability?
Realbench works really well!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Quote:

Yep. Use handbrake and encode some high quality h264 or h265 videos. ASUS Realbench is another good option too that can represent real-world high stress loads on the Haswell-E

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Yep. Use handbrake and encode some high quality h264 or h265 videos. ASUS Realbench is another good option too that can represent real-world high stress loads on the Haswell-E
Okay Update:

I can overclock stable and successfully at 4.5ghz @ 1.251 volts on FIXED OVERCLOCK

Temps on fixed with that overclock is ~45'c

With fixed though, my load is constantly at 100%... I don't think this is what I want...

I tried setting to Dynamic with different EIST and Intel Turboboost (Disable and Enabled) settings; however, it refuses to boot -- Even while moving her up to 1.3v ....?

So, my question is.. How come I can run a completely stable system at 4.5ghz @ 1.251v on FIXED, but when I turn my settings to Dynamic with the same Overclock she's being funky....

Please any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Quote:

Okay Update:

I can overclock stable and successfully at 4.5ghz @ 1.251 volts on FIXED OVERCLOCK

Temps on fixed with that overclock is ~45'c

With fixed though, my load is constantly at 100%... I don't think this is what I want...

I tried setting to Dynamic with different EIST and Intel Turboboost (Disable and Enabled) settings; however, it refuses to boot -- Even while moving her up to 1.3v ....?

So, my question is.. How come I can run a completely stable system at 4.5ghz @ 1.251v on FIXED, but when I turn my settings to Dynamic with the same Overclock she's being funky....

Please any help is much appreciated.
I'm not sure I know what you mean by 'FIXED OVERCLOCK'. I'm assuming this is with no PM/Turbo boost enabled?

Tell ya what... Set your BIOS to optimized defaults and lets start this again...

Leaving everything else at default, try the following:

1. Set the multiplier to 45. Make sure the BCLK is at 100MHz.
2. Set a FIXED/STATIC vCore voltage of 1.3v
3. Leave everything else at AUTO/DEFAULT

Run your stability tests. If you're happy at 4500MHz, then bump your voltage down .1v until you are unstable, then go back to your previous value and test for stability again.

Once you find your stable voltage at 4500MHz, enable dynamic vCore voltage and set it to your max stable voltage. Depending on your MB, you may set a MAX turbo voltage which may be at, say 1.27v. It could also be a OFFSET voltage setting. If its OFFSET you'll want to set this value to the difference between your stable voltage and stock turbo voltage (which I believe is 1.1v). For instance, if my stable voltage is 1.27 and my stock turbo voltage is 1.1v, I would set an OFFSET voltage of .17v

Hope that helps!

BTW, I find it a lot easier to test with the intel extreme tuning utility. I can make all my voltage / multiplier changes from within windows. Once I find my values, I set them appropriately in the UEFI.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

I'm not sure I know what you mean by 'FIXED OVERCLOCK'. I'm assuming this is with no PM/Turbo boost enabled?

Tell ya what... Set your BIOS to optimized defaults and lets start this again...

Leaving everything else at default, try the following:

1. Set the multiplier to 45. Make sure the BCLK is at 100MHz.
2. Set a FIXED/STATIC vCore voltage of 1.3v
3. Leave everything else at AUTO/DEFAULT

Run your stability tests. If you're happy at 4500MHz, then bump your voltage down .1v until you are unstable, then go back to your previous value and test for stability again.

Once you find your stable voltage at 4500MHz, enable dynamic vCore voltage and set it to your max stable voltage. Depending on your MB, you may set a MAX turbo voltage which may be at, say 1.27v. It could also be a OFFSET voltage setting. If its OFFSET you'll want to set this value to the difference between your stable voltage and stock turbo voltage (which I believe is 1.1v). For instance, if my stable voltage is 1.27 and my stock turbo voltage is 1.1v, I would set an OFFSET voltage of .17v

Hope that helps!

BTW, I find it a lot easier to test with the intel extreme tuning utility. I can make all my voltage / multiplier changes from within windows. Once I find my values, I set them appropriately in the UEFI.
Currently gaming right now so I can't make the adjustments that you stated but I will ASAP and update this post.. I really appreciate all your help that was really in-depth!

By Fixed overclock, it means it keeps the CPU at 100% load constantly, and doesn't drop down at all; whereas "Dynamic" keeps the load low when not in use and spikes it up (supposedly anyway) to overclock when needed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts