Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

So I updated BIOS to 3101 on my X99, and thus had to re-clock my 5820k.

For some reason, the old clock wasn't stable anymore when I reapplied so I had to sit down and tinker anew.
What I ended on, was an astounding 3.9Ghz running at an amazing 1.25V.

What the hell. Before the update I ran on an (almost) stable 4.4 at 1.25V, so this is just pure garbage. But I can't for the life of me get it any higher.
Anyone know what the hell is wrong here?
redface.gif

Running an Arctic Freezer i11, on an X99 Deluxe motherboard. 16GB 2600Mhz RAM, which defaults to 2133 (not touching those).

·
Premium Member
8,364 Posts
You bought an itty-bitty CPU cooler for a 6-core 140W chip and you won't give it any voltage. Surprise surprise, it won't OC very well. Did you buy 2x8GB RAM as well?

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion49 View Post

You bought an itty-bitty CPU cooler for a 6-core 140W chip and you won't give it any voltage. Surprise surprise, it won't OC very well. Did you buy 2x8GB RAM as well?
He said he was running at 4.4ghz @ 1.25v before the update. did you even read his post?

To the OP, can't you just roll back the bios update? Or was there a specific fix you needed from the new bios version?

·
Premium Member
8,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyph3r View Post

He said he was running at 4.4ghz @ 1.25v before the update. did you even read his post?

To the OP, can't you just roll back the bios update? Or was there a specific fix you needed from the new bios version?
You first:
Quote:
Before the update I ran on an (almost) stable 4.4 at 1.25V
It was never stable, and its not going to be stable at 4400 with 1.25V unless he has the most golden of golden samples ever to exist. Combine that with a microscopic 92mm cooler and you have a recipe for bad times with overclocking.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Quote:

You first:
It was never stable, and its not going to be stable at 4400 with 1.25V unless he has the most golden of golden samples ever to exist. Combine that with a microscopic 92mm cooler and you have a recipe for bad times with overclocking.
He said almost stable - which he was obviously content with as he was aiming for the same settings, which no longer work after the update.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

You first:
When I said almost stable OC, I meant maybe one or two BSOD's a week. It was pretty much perfectly stable, I just got a 124 error once in a while. Nothing major.
Also, this cooler has functioned perfectly for me, never once hit 80+ temps on this CPU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyph3r View Post

Reason why I wanted the newest BIOS is purely because of the stability it provides. 3 stability updates behind, I'd rather have those than the higher OC (although it would be nice to have the OC as well, hence why I'm posting here).

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovegog View Post

Wow, you are one very rude guy.
When I said almost stable OC, I meant maybe one or two BSOD's a week. It was pretty much perfectly stable, I just got a 124 error once in a while. Nothing major.
Also, this cooler has functioned perfectly for me, never once hit 80+ temps on this CPU.
Reason why I wanted the newest BIOS is purely because of the stability it provides. 3 stability updates behind, I'd rather have those than the higher OC (although it would be nice to have the OC as well, hence why I'm posting here).

Edit: Also, Scorpio dude. I have reported you for offensive posting, I'd rather have this be a civil discussion instead of the condescending rude behaviour you brought with you here.
how was his post offensive lol, he's telling the truth!

edit if u wanna overclock "safely" buy a better cooler

·
Premium Member
8,364 Posts
Quote:

You asked why your OC doesn't work, I told you. There is a whole thread here about overclocking Haswell-E and you will find if you check peoples clocks and voltages you're about 100mv low for 4400mhz to be fully stable. If you actually upped the voltage to where it needs to be for you to be stable, that cooler would let you down big time.

·
Not New to Overclock.net
1,688 Posts
Quote:

If it was BSODing at all, chances are it wasn't stable enough. We're just trying to be straight with you. If you wouldn't get those errors at stock, then you shouldn't be getting them from a stable overclock either. What likely happened is that changes to the BIOS between those versions just brought out the instability more.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablosbud View Post

If it was BSODing at all, chances are it wasn't stable enough. We aren't trying to be rude, we're just trying to be straight with you. If you wouldn't get those errors at stock, then you shouldn't be getting them from a stable overclock either. What likely happened is that changes to the BIOS between those versions just brought out the instability more.
That makes sense, it's just weird to me that I ain't even getting close to the performance I managed to pump out before. I even tried XMP without touching anything, just letting it XMP me to 4.5, and the OC failed at bootup.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Pull CMOS battery to clear bios settings. Start from scratch. I had to do this too just a few days ago. I even had to reload windows to get everything back to good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts