Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a upgrade for a friend going from a AMD 1100T 6 core to a modern Intel system. The main purpose is gaming and web browsing. He isn't interested in the i5 series. He is set on a higher end system that will last him many years with only GPU upgrades for the foreseeable future.

So I started looking for parts for a new build in the low $1000 range not including GPU. I suggested going with a newer unlocked i7 then having me overclock it. Looking at the price of the 6700K blew my mind that a mainstream i7 quad is $400. What happened here? That price is outrageous so I started looking at other options.

Then I found the 5820k 6 core selling for $375. In gaming they are essentially the same performance. Overclocked they are usually within 2FPS difference, except when you get to multi threaded applications it will way outperform it. Then there comes the advantages of quad channel memory and having more PCI lanes. It looks like so much of a better investment than the 6700k in every aspect.

The price of Z170 and X99 motherboards both hover around $250 for a decent overclocking board with room for expansion.

TL;DR
Am I missing something here that should be pointed out? In gaming they are so close it doesn't matter and for anything multi threaded the 6 core will be better and is cheaper. Some input for one over the other would be greatly appreciated so we can make a final decision. Currently, I'm leaning toward the 5820k and am looking for any reason not to.

·
Not New to OCN
1,750 Posts
Quote:
In gaming they are so close it doesn't matter and for anything multi threaded the 6 core will be better and is cheaper.
You basically said it yourself, snag him the 5820k!
thumb.gif

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
What sold me was a quote I'm about to butcher from a different thread with the same sort of question,

"What the 6700k does better then the 5820k is marginal. but what the 5820k does better than the 6700k it does significantly"

This is the quote I tell everyone now about my choice to go with the 5820k...its a beast and a very nice cpu. My new rig is going along smooth.

• Rep+
Reactions: Shaded War

·
Registered
730 Posts
Yeah the 5820k would be my choice too hands down, if they weren't so expensive here(not that 6700k isn't lol)

I think my xeon will be running for quite a while yet judging how each generation seems to get much more expensive for little performance gain lol.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like no one can say anything in favor of a 6700K. I'll be going with the 5820K if he gives it the go-ahead to order parts.

·
The 6502 Still Rocks
769 Posts
Stating the obvious, but with the 6700K you're paying for the iGPU that you're not using in this situation. The 5820K is the easy winner in that scenario.

·
Watercooled Railgun
4,630 Posts
5820k. For something that will really last and with ample budget, moar cores is the way. Plus, the extra PCI-E lanes do really help on multiGPU setups.

·
Registered
418 Posts
5820k gets my vote as well. The 6700k does generally have very slightly better single core performance with the improvements of the Skylake architecture and generally slightly higher core clock potential, but the difference is small. As others said the 5820k gives you 2 more cores and all the other benefits of the x99 platform.

Also just a thought: Do you have a Microcenter nearby? The 5820k is $320 there, $300 if you buy the motherboard there too. I got a good deal on mine for $275 on eBay
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the 6700K if u were to get that he would not have any complaints either since it is also a great cpu but the 5820k just makes more sense to me, especially since 6700k from what I had seen about a week ago were more expensive.

·
Registered
627 Posts
6700k have 10-25% better IPC in games and can utilize faster DDR4 ram better.5820k have more cores.For gaming 6700k is better.For work 5820k is better.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
From a pure gaming perspective the 6700k is better. The 5820k only really shines in productivity tasks, but a few games that can leverage the extra cores on the 5820k will have a slight advantage.

The 6700k is overpriced like crazy right now. It's price has actually increased since release. They were selling about 10$ more than the Devil Canyon 4970k when they were first released, but now they are 70$ more expensive or so.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Most benches comparing the two are at stock so the 6700k being 700Mhz faster would obviously beat it in games. But even at stock, the 5820k will beat it at multi-threaded tasks and would only get even better overclocked. I just want to see how they are in games at a more even playing field when there isn't a 700Mhz gap.

Is there any comparisons of both at 4.5Ghz range to give a fair comparison? I will be overclocking this rig as far as possible either way so I'd like to see some real numbers here if possible instead of stock speeds that mean nothing.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
The only good that will come out of the X99 socket system is the next set of chips for it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded War View Post

Most benches comparing the two are at stock so the 6700k being 700Mhz faster would obviously beat it in games. But even at stock, the 5820k will beat it at multi-threaded tasks and would only get even better overclocked. I just want to see how they are in games at a more even playing field when there isn't a 700Mhz gap.

Is there any comparisons of both at 4.5Ghz range to give a fair comparison? I will be overclocking this rig as far as possible either way so I'd like to see some real numbers here if possible instead of stock speeds that mean nothing.
In fact there is. My testing. See my firestrike scores. Both my systems. One 6700k and the other 5820k. Notice the 6700k is at 4.6ghz and the 5820k is at 4.5ghz and the 6700k still gets beat. By alot - 19%. And thats with the 5820k still being 100MHz down...

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/7575517/fs/6368897

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXMustang View Post

In fact there is. My testing. See my firestrike scores. Both my systems. One 6700k and the other 5820k. Notice the 6700k is at 4.6ghz and the 5820k is at 4.5ghz and the 6700k still gets beat. By alot - 19%. And thats with the 5820k still being 100MHz down...

Thanks, a fair comparison is what I was looking for and you proved my suspicions. Both are so close in FPS you can't say one is better in gaming than the other. But any heavy workloads the 5820k will crush the 6700k and costs less.

I think people are letting the excitement of 14nm get the best of them.

·
Premium Member
20,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXMustang View Post

A stock 5820K scores 14.4K in FS's Physics, so you really do not need to oc that much when it comes to this synthetic bench.

·
Overclocker
727 Posts
Get the 6700k for a gaming rig that will never use more than 2 gpus otherwise 5820k. Overclocked the 6700k is the better processor in the majority of games(although this difference as mentioned is marginal at best). However, z170 gives you better ram options and newer features not found on x99, especially on midrange boards. I've been giving serious thought to ditching skylake for haswell-e and have come to the conclusion that for gaming and 1-2 gpus 6700k wins due to the newer chipset, for 3+ gpus 5820k is the way to go.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge0fsanity View Post

Get the 6700k for a gaming rig that will never use more than 2 gpus otherwise 5820k. Overclocked the 6700k is the better processor in the majority of games(although this difference as mentioned is marginal at best). However, z170 gives you better ram options and newer features not found on x99, especially on midrange boards. I've been giving serious thought to ditching skylake for haswell-e and have come to the conclusion that for gaming and 1-2 gpus 6700k wins due to the newer chipset, for 3+ gpus 5820k is the way to go.
But it doesnt win. And its doesnt have better ram options than the X99. Not sure where you are getting this info from, but both use DDR4. And the 5820k can run with the 6700k at lower or similar clock speeds.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSayWhat View Post

X99 will also support Broadwell-E.

Dunno if it matters at all, but there's that too.
I will be doing this most likely depending on the results of the new broadwellE testing.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts