Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've an Intel 920 based PC with an ASUS P6TD Deluxe mb and Radeon 5850 graphics card that has an annoying boot problem.

When powering up it will spin up the fans and appear to boot but with no output on the monitor If I disconnect the PC from the wall socket for 30 seconds or more before booting (or after the last shutdown) it will boot fine.

It appears that either the 5850 or MB need to be completely powered down to boot corrrectly?

I've tried a different PSU but this made no difference.

Can anybody throw any light on this?

·
Premium Member
9,081 Posts
You have no display on your screen?

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
Bios update, try another pci-express lane, check the pci-express lane settings in the bios.

What kind of power supply are you using? If it is a low quality one, try placing one psu on the card and use a jumper to power it on.

·
Married people build too
1,494 Posts
When you ask questions, it really helps to have your system details filled out. You never know.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Quote:
It appears that either the 5850 or MB need to be completely powered down to boot corrrectly?
Up the voltage on your cpu (not gpu). As in, if your VID is at 1.100 up it to the next tweak setting of 1.106. CPU isn't getting enough juice and is slightly undervolted. Now don't say that it was fine before because I know it was fine before, just up the voltage. That'll fix her right up. Motherboard sees/thinks the cpu isn't getting enough to start-up so it halts the boot process.

Report back please

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by trooper001
View Post

Up the voltage on your cpu (not gpu). As in, if your VID is at 1.100 up it to the next tweak setting of 1.106. CPU isn't getting enough juice and is slightly undervolted. Now don't say that it was fine before because I know it was fine before, just up the voltage. That'll fix her right up. Motherboard sees/thinks the cpu isn't getting enough to start-up so it halts the boot process.

Report back please

Nice GPU setup man

I agree with Trooper ... sounds to me like it's the mobo not posting, probably due to a bad overclock somewhere. IOW, I doubt the gfx card has anything to do w/this problem. First thing I'd try is clearing the CMOS (aka bios).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Trooper, I pushed up the volts to the CPU per your advise and the boot problem is no more. It was the only glitich I had after my first build so its great to have it resolved.

·
Premium Member
18,187 Posts
my 5870 seems to have kinda same probly its like a cold boot issue but it could be the board with the issue.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hmm, is your PSU plugged directly onto the wall socket or a power strip? If it's on a power strip, do me a favor and plug it directly onto the wall socket and reboot. If it clears your issue, your power strip is about to take a dump. I doubt it's your motherboard by the sound of it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i have the same problem. i tried adjusting voltages to no avail. i have recently switched from my old 8800 gts to a hd5850 and problems began hereafter. i've used driver sweeper to remove any remains of drivers there may be, so i'm at a loss.

in addition, minor graphical glitches sometimes occur; like my cursor on my samsung monitor (and only on my samsung monitor) may start acting up and become distorted. usually a reboot fixes this, but it's weird either how.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts