Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UPDATE:

Quote:

so, the problem was solved by doing the bios update... however, i have a new problem. whenever i play games, say, heroes of newerth or battlefield bad company 2, i get a freeze/stutter after about an hour of play. the only thing that works to get out of this is a hard reset. i reckon some people have had the same problem in battlefield, so any help towards any meaningful topic would be appreciated. thanks!

i've recently acquired a XFX 5850 card, to replace my burned out 8800gts. from the get go, there have been problems. i'd like to think that i caused all my problems since i didn't uninstall nvidia drivers before replacing the card (like i said, it burned out). however, there should be a fix even for that.

i'm experiencing 2 problems; one major, and one minor. the major one being that on boot up, the computer hangs (with no post). i've not really had the problem with my old card, so i assume it's because of the new one. it takes a few boots to get it up and running, but once i do, everything seems to work fine. except for one thing...

the cursor on one (and only one) of my monitors starts acting up whenever i'm trying out a video game. when i get back into windows, the windows cursor is weird, but only on the same monitor. while this is a minor thing, i'd like to know whether this could be something serious.

for the first issue: i've used driver sweep to remove all existing nvidia drivers. i've given the CPU extra voltage, to no avail. i even realized i need to return my CPU voltage to auto settings, because all my games are beginning to run ridiculously fast (as in, uncontrollably). i'd like to know what i can do in this situation, short of reinstalling windows, which i am not very keen on doing again.

for the minor issue: i've tried checking the DVI cable from the problematic monitor, but it's plugged in fine. the monitor also works fine in every other aspect.

apart from that, i also have some problems with my creative fatality champion edition, but i doubt this is the right forum for that?

anyway, i'd appreciate any help anyone could give here. thanks.

·
Banned
1,251 Posts
I would use driver sweeper with your current card and uninstall everything, then reinstall Cat 10.3 Beta.
You could have damaged your PCI E as you have stated that your 8800 GT burned out.
I doubt this though as your current card would not be working at all.
Might be time to do a fresh install of your OS, as a lot of people have recommended when going from Nvidia to ATI.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i've just done a fresh install, which is why i don't want to do it again. this installation isn't even a month old yet. i've done basically everything i could with driver sweeper to remove existing bull****, uninstalling and installing ATI drivers etc., so unless you have some sort of wicked hack, i don't think driver sweeper is gonna help anything else.

·
Banned
1,251 Posts
I hear you, erm I have done over 40 reinstall, so I am accustomed to them.
And we are talking 3 in 2 days, so I hear your frustrations.
Just wait for other posters to see how you go..

EDIT, just seeing your fatality card issue, I had the same thing where my OS would hang, but for closing down too.
The card was faulty, been replaced, try disconnecting it and see if it changes anything.
That cook GPU could have harmed your Audio card too..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well there wasn't really any magic smoke, it was more in the sense that windows just disabled it 'for my safety'. the audio card works fine, but the applications for it do not seem to recognize it, nor can i get the front IO drive to be recognized in windows.

·
Banned
1,251 Posts
I did have the same prob, Xfi, refused to work in the end, died a slow death.
Hence why I said, try taking out the card, or disabling it in device manager, use your mobo sound and see if the OS still hangs..

·
Registered
151 Posts
Check your BIOS version on that motherboard. The last version of bios from ASUS, which was released in febuary, has this description:

Quote:
Striker II Extreme BIOS 1402
Fix it might take long time to recognize ATI 5850 VGA card at POST

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oussal
View Post

Check your BIOS version on that motherboard. The last version of bios from ASUS, which was released in febuary, has this description:

ahh i see. but how about the dangers of flashing a bios? i'm not sure i would want to risk a motherboard failure even to fix this? which way is the safest to do this?

·
Administrator
64,324 Posts
Motherboard flashing is a simple procedure. You can either Flash within Windows or using the inbuilt utility for updating the BIOS if your motherboard has one. I reccomend using the utility they provide you to flash OUTSIDE of windows as flashing via windows does have its dangers. You need to look up your motherboard on the ASUS website and hey will give you various options on how to flash your bios.

·
Banned
1,251 Posts
I would seriously take out the Audio card and see if this fixes it.
It happened to me as well.
It only takes 3 mins to do, just trying to help you eliminate things.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so, the problem was solved by doing the bios update... however, i have a new problem. whenever i play games, say, heroes of newerth or battlefield bad company 2, i get a freeze/stutter after about an hour of play. the only thing that works to get out of this is a hard reset. i reckon some people have had the same problem in battlefield, so any help towards any meaningful topic would be appreciated. thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
temperatures are steady around 35-40 degrees, i have never ever witnessed them going above 45. i would very much like to know how i can properly check voltages on both cpu and gpu, since my bios isn't keen on displaying them (or at least i can't find where it does).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it should be noted that i consider the cursor on the one screen problem linked to this.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
The applications GPU-Z and CPU-Z will show you voltages for each of the two.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so from gpu z, i found that gpu temperature (previously not measured by software) reached 56 degrees celcius under load. the voltage reading is at a minimum 5.2 A for the card.

from the cpu z program i only get an error code 0x102 (258), and it load up with no data.

any tips?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts