Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody make a 5850 reference card? That is my question. I want a reference card and it appears to be impossible. I have even heard of companies that used to make a reference card then made a different card but kept the model number the same. I would be so pissed to order a ref card and get a non ref card. These rodant companies that have done this will never taste my money.

Does anybody make a reference card as of sep 18 2010. One that is actually a ref card when it arives at my house.

Or a none reference card that allows volt cntrl and exhuasts out the back of my pc instead of taking a big dump into my machine.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
asus direct cu is what your looking for. also some reference cards are on new egg from time to time by biostar. cant miss it, its encased in a black shell with a red stripe and a fan on the end of the card.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya the directcu top seems to be my only option. I will watch for biostar. I seem to have read somewhere that they still make reference but I can't seem to find any. I am mostly worried about ordering one that is advertised as a reference but is not.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
a store in edmonton called bcom has an asus eah5850 pictured as a reference for $338. its listed as special order. I will find out on monday if they can get it. If not I think I will go for the directcu top.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I would not buy a 5850 new at this time. New cards are coming and you get get a ref 5850 easy enough used. Look for ASUS or XFX if it was registered properly and from the first owner. ASUS is 3 years based on the ser#, that is why I prefer them.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Visiontek or Asus, they're the two companies that will ship you a card with voltage for sure.

Don't go Twin Frozr II, that card has lots of issues.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanx for the advice. I just bought a used asus ref card for 250 cdn. Hopefully this will tide me over till I recover from the $2k cdn build and I can spend some serious scratch on a serious card.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by agent_grey
View Post

Thanx for the advice. I just bought a used asus ref card for 250 cdn. Hopefully this will tide me over till I recover from the $2k cdn build and I can spend some serious scratch on a serious card.

Good call, ASUS is the best card used IMHO. The 5850 will perform great in nearly any game.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
The new Asus EAH5850 DirectCU is a non reference card - but it does allow voltage increase. Also, you can buy an EK full gpu waterblock that will fit this card, if that is also of concern.

·
!
17,294 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Randallrocks
View Post

Visiontek or Asus, they're the two companies that will ship you a card with voltage for sure.

Don't go Twin Frozr II, that card has lots of issues.

I know the 5870 Lightning (I, not II) has voltage regulation issues, but I've never heard of any issues with the 5850 Twin Frozr

1 - 17 of 17 Posts