Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a disturbing and to me alarming issue on my Club3D ATi Radeon 5850. I punt an Arctic Cooling Twin Turbo Pro and Thermalright VRM-R4 on it and ran some FurMark tests running on stock and oc'd. I also flashed the ASUS 5850 BIOS, I use Catalyst 10.4 drivers, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and MSI Afterburner 1.5.1.

OC'd to 900/1225 @ 1.149V my GPU temp reached 70 degrees max in FurMark.

Yesterday I decided to try a little higher OC: 950/1250 @ 1.250V. My GPU temp skyrocketed to almost 90 degrees before I stopped the test. I switched back to 900/1225 @ 1.149V but now my FurMark temps keep going to 90 degrees before I stop the test! Even with my case opened and an ambient temp of 6 degrees lower.

I also noticed my VDDC current increasing comparing some screenshots. May 9th when I maxxed 70 degrees GPU I seemed to be having ~36 VDDC current. Now I'm getting ~67 VDDC current and FurMark reports a power consumption of 59W (51.4A)!

GPU-Z shows no increase in VDDC voltage.

I have no idea what can be the problem here.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i know what your issue is
notice in those two pictures that the first one you have low temps, and your fan speed is at 70% acording to MSI AfterBurner and GPU-Z is saying Fan speed is at 3000ish RPM

The second picture with the high temps your fan speed is at 90% according to MSI Afterburner however GPU-Z says Fan Speed is at 1700ish RPM.

Therefore the issue is your fan speed for some reason is slower and causing your high temps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like I fixed it, but it doesn't seem OSD related as it's off right now. My max GPU temp now is 74 degrees. That's still about 5 degrees hotter than I got a week ago, and the VDDC is 62.7A vs 34A I got a week ago. Weird. But that might have been a coincidal dip.

Anyway, what I did is uninstall MSI Afterburner, install 1.6.0beta5 and unticked the 'Unlock voltage monitoring' option. I think it conflicted with GPU-Z's monitoring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts