Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

Some of you have helped me over the past month with me deciding to hold out for a 5850. I just wanted to say thanks, as I am glad I waited for it to become available.

I upgraded from an ageing but epic 8800GT, and here is what I have found to be the real time results of the upgrade:

*OC is CCC Max @ GPU 775MHz, Memory 1125MHz
*All Fraps tests are at Native resoultion (2048x1152) and Max settings
*Benchmark tests ran at 1900 x 1200

In real terms I am very happy with the card as it runs quieter than the 4890 that I had for a week.

If anyone wants me to test something for them let me know and I will try my best.

Just out of interest I have ran everything @ stock, and hear of people clocking these things upto a 5870 level.

I assume that this can only be achieved via MSI Afterburner as CCC only allows an increase from 725MHz to 775MHz.

Would using MSI Afterburner void my Sapphire warranty?

Also is their any way to change the setpoints for the automatic fan speed? Or is it only availble my selecting 1 manual speed?

Ok, I have installed the new CCC 9.12 drivers, and have found some real term improvements:

*OC is CCC Max @ GPU 775MHz, Memory 1125MHz

Check out that vantage score with the new drivers :)

To be honest I find the stalker benchmark very unreliable and each time I run it the results can vastly vary. However the 9.12 drivers have brought good improvements to actual gameplay, i.e Min FPS up in both COD4 and MW2, with the average FPS up in GRID.

Good work ATI.

Thanks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Nice benchmarks! +rep for you!
Not sure about the warranty though, but i think it will void it.

• Rep+
Reactions: djglenn

·
Premium Member
2,591 Posts
My friend at work returned a sapphire 4870 recently that he overclocked heavily with Afterburner and they sent him a new card with no questions asked.

I use afterburner 1.4 to establish a automatic fan profile.

Go to Settings
Fan
Enable user defined software automatic fan control

You can then establish the adjust points on the graph

Afterburner works great on both my cards (5850) in crossfire! never seen them go above 65C after hours of gaming.

• Rep+

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
nice benches.

could you run 1920x1200? your native res is way out there and it makes the results a bit wierder to decipher...

that said, it looks like things can only get better for us 8800GT owners, if fps are boosted that quick, rofl

·
Bod ***s rock
22,857 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by djglenn
View Post

Just out of interest I have ran everything @ stock, and hear of people clocking these things upto a 5870 level.

I assume that this can only be achieved via MSI Afterburner as CCC only allows an increase from 725MHz to 775MHz.

Would using MSI Afterburner void my Sapphire warranty?

Thanks.

to get past the 775 limit you would need to flash the BIOS to an unlocked asus or MSI one then use afterburner, using afterburner by itself will not void your warranty as sapphire wont know you used it

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bitemarks and bloodstains
View Post

to get past the 775 limit you would need to flash the BIOS to an unlocked asus or MSI one then use afterburner, using afterburner by itself will not void your warranty as sapphire wont know you used it

^^ this.

But flashing your BIOS will void it.

• Rep+

·
Registered
402 Posts
I wasn't to happy with results until I read your resolution then I was like "damn". But then I got confused when you said some of your results were from 1920 x 1200 resolution... and i was confused...

·
Quarantined in the Sticks
2,408 Posts
awsome m8, what a performance increase, the chart you made is very easy to read..+1rep

·
Premium Member
20,315 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electroneng View Post
My friend at work returned a sapphire 4870 recently that he overclocked heavily with Afterburner and they sent him a new card with no questions asked.

I use afterburner 1.4 to establish a automatic fan profile.

Go to Settings
Fan
Enable user defined software automatic fan control

You can then establish the adjust points on the graph

Afterburner works great on both my cards (5850) in crossfire! never seen them go above 65C after hours of gaming.
My cards top out at 60c under gaming load. Mind you they are running at stock.

What OC are you using to get them up to 65c?

·
Iconoclast
30,437 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by -iceblade^ View Post
nice benches.

could you run 1920x1200? your native res is way out there and it makes the results a bit wierder to decipher...
2048x1152 is 2359296 pixels.

1920x1200 is 2304000 pixels.

The difference in performance because of resolution is smaller than the margin of error on most tests.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by skitzogreg View Post
In Call of Juarez, how is your Average larger than your Max?
I noticed it too, it must be a mistype.

·
Premium Member
2,591 Posts
Quote:

My cards top out at 60c under gaming load. Mind you they are running at stock.
What OC are you using to get them up to 65c?

I run them at 775/1125 or CCC Limit. These cards are so fast, I have seen no need to flash bios to get above this limit!

Also my auto fan curve is 40% - 40c, 50% - 50c, 60% - 60c, 70% - 70c, etc.
If I made it slightly more aggressive, I am sure i could keep it at 60c max

• Rep+

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies.

I have fixed the typo for Call of Juraz.

I have also added a Fraps based benchmark on Grid Racing driver.

Basically the only 3 benchmarks that are at my native res is the ones I used Fraps to read performance.

The COJ, S.T.A.L.K.E.R and Heaven where all at 1900 x 1200.

I will d/l MSI Afterburner later and see what I can do, and post on here how it effects performance for each one.

Just out of interest, I ran the Devil May Cry benchmark on my 8800GT before removal at my own res, however since I installed the 5850 I can only pick crappy res's from the list...will try reinstalling it later.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Updated with OC results.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R results are not consistant...I could run it 5 times and the Min can be vastly different in most.

I installed Afterburner...and to be frank it scares the hell out of me...

How would I know what voltage to use?

Can I not just crank up the GPU clock and leave the voltage alone?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Since the 45nm intel cpus have voltage specs to 1.36 or 1.37, I would think up to 1.3 volts on 40nm for the radeon would be ok. Going over that is probably just asking for trouble though.

I have read some articles that had around 900mhz stable with 1.2 volts.

·
Registered
145 Posts
awesome results OP. I have a very similar rig to you and plan the same card upgrade as well as a new monitor. just waiting till after the new year a bit hoping for a price drop.

that 5850 is pure win. can hardly wait.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts