Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my second 5870 for crossfire, and the only game so far that i've seen an increase is crysis 1.

Every other game i have is 10 FPS more at most.

GPU usage in alot of my games is around 30-45%.

Even crysis 2, the only difference between one and two cards was flickering.

Games i tried

Call of Duty 4 ~ 190FPS (slight increase)
Call of Duty Black Ops ~ Gets around 100FPS (no increase)
BF: Bad Company 2 ~ 80 FPS (no increase)
Crysis - ~60FPS (major increase)
Crysis 2 ~ 80FPS (no increase)
GTA4 ~ 40-50FPS (no increase)

In crysis 1, i can manage very high settings @ 1680x1050 between 55 and 80 FPS on the beach. (depending where you're looking at)

EDIT*

Using 11.4 Preview drivers

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Patrick;13142842
Did you remove drivers and run driver sweeper after you installed the cards?
Yes, i actually went back and reverted to 11.3 with the latest cap.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I don't know much about your CPU but it's possible that it is bottlenecking the cards. a 5870 is a powerful card, 2 of them can be bottlenecked without an equally powerful CPU to back it.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
@OP

Did you install separate crossfire profile from amd?

Description:

Package Includes:
Display Driver
ATI Integrated Driver
Catalyst Control Center
(English Language Only)
For the 64 bit version of Windows Vista and Windows 7
ATI Catalyst Application Profiles 0.5 MB 11.3 CAP3 4/15/2011
Description:

This release of ATI Catalyst™ delivers support for the latest ATI CrossFireX™ profiles in a separate executable file ensuring users have access to the absolute latest set of profiles installed on their PC.

You must reboot your system after the CAP has been installed for it to take effect.

New profiles added to this release:
- Red Faction 4 - Improves CrossFire performance
- Need For Speed Shift 2 - Disables CrossFire and resolves image quality issues
- Crysis 2 - Improves CrossFire performance and resolves flickering issues

·
Premium Member
16,550 Posts
Hey Ryan,

Your problem here is bottleneck
wink.gif

When I had my HD5970 even with my X6 1055T @ 4Ghz I still had bottleneck.

You're problem here is bottleneck, you will not see the real power of those 5870's unless you move to a newer platform.

A i5 2500k would do wonders to that Crossfire
smile.gif

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
The only thing I find suprising in the list is no increase to Bad Company 2 I got a nice increase in fps going to crossfire. Black Ops has terrible support for Crossfire I actually get less fps with Crossfire enabled, not suprising considering how terribly made the game is. Crysis 2 is the same I actually get less fps with Crossfire enabled with all the latest drivers and profiles and GTA4 is known for not supporting Crossfire or SLI very well. When i got my second card I did some benchmarks to measure the improvement maybe you can compare with these https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmY-gfN2YMPidENxNXZMeURyNEItUDFUc2VDMG9ldUE&hl=en_GB&authkey=COyTgbgP#gid=0

·
Premium Member
5,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcuestag;13159977
Hey Ryan,

Your problem here is bottleneck
wink.gif

When I had my HD5970 even with my X6 1055T @ 4Ghz I still had bottleneck.

You're problem here is bottleneck, you will not see the real power of those 5870's unless you move to a newer platform.

A i5 2500k would do wonders to that Crossfire
smile.gif
Ain't that the truth! I had only one 5870 when I had my 9550 and it was pretty damn good. With my setup now, nothing stops me!

·
Premium Member
16,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashric;13160011
Bottlenecking? Haha ridiculous. Please post some proof before you start spouting bs.
Did you say something?
buttkick.gif

·
Premium Member
16,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented;13159989
Ain't that the truth! I had only one 5870 when I had my 9550 and it was pretty damn good. With my setup now, nothing stops me!
True that, I moved from an X6 1055T @ 4Ghz to an i7 2600k and I noticed a nice performance boost specially in Bad Company 2 I noticed about a 20fps increase
eek.gif

·
Cheesebumps!!
2,089 Posts
11.4 seems to be doing some crap..try reverting to your most stable driver..others here say 11.3 does wonders..plus did you tried applying the new AMD CAP for Crysis 2 that resolves a few issues and improves Xfire compatibility..

·
Premium Member
13,796 Posts
You are also playing at a relatively low resolution. It becomes more CPU bottlenecked at that resolution. At a larger resolution, the difference between single-GPU and multi-GPU becomes greater.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts