Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a lot of "Recommended" requirements for crossfire PSU's and they are saying 600w. I want to know if this is truly enough for a crossfire setup.

If it is, I was thinking about getting this PSU from Corsair. 650w with [email protected]. I don't want to run into power problems in the future, so if absolutely necessary I'll get this PSU: 750w with [email protected]

Please let me know your thoughts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,350 Posts
If I were you I would go with the 750tx or hx both are really great and if you do not think that is good enough go with the 850 hx...corsair makes a great psu. FYI they "underrate" there psu's so if they say 750hx they can push like 800-825 probably so go with corsair and you will not be disappointed at all
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,520 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pestypest View Post
Get the 750.. TX and you all set.

No.

The TX750W is by no means a bad PSU. But the Antec TP New series has better performance, is partially modular, and is the same price. So the Corsair TX is terrible bang/buck right now. It's probably the most over-recommended PSU in history, and even I fell prey to it before I learned more about power supplies. So just no.

Try an Antec TruePower New 650W or 750W, or if you can afford it a Corsair HX or SeaSonic M12D or X series PSU.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,552 Posts
the 650TX should be adequate, but its not modular (if that's even a concern)

Crossfire 5870's draw 31.33A at 100% load, your cpu+drives will be fine on the rest
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,350 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post
No.

The TX750W is by no means a bad PSU. But the Antec TP New series has better performance, is partially modular, and is the same price. So the Corsair TX is terrible bang/buck right now. So just no.

Try an Antec TruePower New 650W or 750W, or if you can afford it a Corsair HX or SeaSonic M12D or X series PSU.

do you always have to be like rude....honestly man...thought OCN was friendly not just plain rude like I have seen in your other posts and Corsairs makes great psu's
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
I just add about +200w when the box says 'you need xxx (that much PSU wattage.)'

So in your case, the box says '600w in CF mode' I would get an 800w PSU...

Make sure that its true rated...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
743 Posts
I would get the 750hx/tx just to be safe man. Its better to get a bit more than you need. That way you wont have to worry about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,071 Posts
I purchased HX1000 for this specific question, and although you probably could get away with something smaller I really love the PSU.

Other PSU's that would probably work fine would be
TX750 might have little headroom
HX850 should be just fine and is an amazing PSU
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,038 Posts
Although I won't be quite as strident about it as my friend Phaedrus, the best deal going right now is the True Power New 750W. Plenty of juice for that setup, great efficiency and other specs, mostly modular, and it seems to be perpetually on sale for around $100. It's the psu to get ATM as long as it's around about $115-$120 tops. Which it seems to always be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,178 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129
View Post

No.

The TX750W is by no means a bad PSU. But the Antec TP New series has better performance, is partially modular, and is the same price. So the Corsair TX is terrible bang/buck right now. It's probably the most over-recommended PSU in history, and even I fell prey to it before I learned more about power supplies. So just no.

Try an Antec TruePower New 650W or 750W, or if you can afford it a Corsair HX or SeaSonic M12D or X series PSU.


This!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,520 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by GeneralCuster44
View Post

do you always have to be like rude....honestly man...thought OCN was friendly not just plain rude like I have seen in your other posts and Corsairs makes great psu's

Imagine you're in a room full of people. Half of them are saying, "i want a gaming pc, what's the best one?" and the rest are saying, "buy an alienware they're the best." And you're running around trying to give advice on how to build one for yourself.

It's like that. You'd get short too, after a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,710 Posts
Switching power supplies are most efficient at 50% of their maximum load rating. Two 5870s and a healthy overclock on the CPU will eat up about 450w-520w from the wall. So the sweet spot for this would be around 850w-1000w.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,795 Posts
My Antec TP-1000w PSU handled 5870CF fine.

and the TP-1000w is not expensive
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,520 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Dream Killer
View Post

Switching power supplies are most efficient at 50% of their maximum load rating. Two 5870s and a healthy overclock on the CPU will eat up about 450w-520w from the wall. So the sweet spot for this would be around 850w-1000w.

Good thought, but you have to consider that unless he's folding 24/7 his computer is going to be drawing less than 150W for 90% of the time. In that case you want the idle draw to be about ~30-40% of the PSU's rated capacity, and the load draw to be ~60-80% for best average efficiency.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,710 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129
View Post

Good thought, but you have to consider that unless he's folding 24/7 his computer is going to be drawing less than 150W for 90% of the time. In that case you want the idle draw to be about ~30-40% of the PSU's rated capacity, and the load draw to be ~60-80% for best average efficiency.

Very true. Is he going to be mostly at full load all the time or long periods of idle? He has to weigh in that as well.

In all honesty, most of the PSUs between 750w-1000w with an 80+ rating are going to be great.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top