Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

I just got my new Vapor-X 5870 rev.2 today.

Does somebody know what safe clocks are for it ?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I had Sapphire Vapor-X cards before (i.e. 4890Vapor-X) and they all lacked Volterra chips to enabled digital voltage tweaking. Only the Toxic models have that feature. So, I'm not surprised 5870 Vapor-X doesn't allow voltage tweaking. However, you can do a physical voltage mod to the card to unlock the voltages; it's possible; I've seen a tut somewhere... don't remember exactly where... maybe TechPowerUp.

Johnny

·
Registered
257 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick911 View Post
volts are fine to be at 1.25 and clocks can be as high as they can go. You got a great cooler already.
ATI HD5870's GPU voltage is 1.25V or 1.15V? I thought it was 1.15V.
Anyways, if the Vapor-X has 1.25V stock, then the card can reach the 975MHz/1300Mhz easy.

Johnny

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well so far I went to 900/1300 from 850/1250 and it runs fine.

Is it normal tho that the card runs most times on 400/1300 ?
Goes up to 900 sometimes like when I do something in my browser or play a game. But even when playing a non heavy ressource taking game it runs on 400/1300 sometimes. Surprises me a bit.

·
PC Evangelist
46,973 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pnkspdr
View Post

Well so far I went to 900/1300 from 850/1250 and it runs fine.

Is it normal tho that the card runs most times on 400/1300 ?
Goes up to 900 sometimes like when I do something in my browser or play a game. But even when playing a non heavy ressource taking game it runs on 400/1300 sometimes. Surprises me a bit.

Very Normal. It should even drop lower but drivers are messed up. 2D clock should be 157Mhz/300Mhz which drops idle temps ~ 10C more. The only way to get those clocks is if you dont overclock or OC via Bios.

·
Melted Cheese
4,182 Posts
I have the same card as you do OP and I just went into overdrive and hit the sliders to the max (900/1300) and play all my games with no problem. Card keeps nice and cool with the Vapor-X cooler.

Also my card idles @ 400/1300 @ around 48C and I just couldn't care. The in game temps are great and the clocks really don't make any difference to normal operation so who cares. Oh, also the clocks stay up a bit if you have dual monitors (which I do).

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well it actually went down to 157/300 already before too.
But that was when it is was indeed not overclocked.

From what I saw till now the card runs awesome and very silent, compared to my two XFX 5770 XXX, which I'm selling now.
The fan only ran under 30% so far, which is pretty impressive, if you think about it that the card didn't even reached 45°C yet.

Gotta test several games tho to see how the card runs. Like by Assassins Creed 2 etc., cos with Allods Online the card won't be fully stressed of course.

Edit: I'm using the latest catalyst btw of course. 10.8. But I read 10.9 is out already.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts